10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2009 7:22 AM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Elements 8 Trial - cant copy tape to computer

Lt_mor

I am user of Premiere Elements 3, and I installed 8 on the same computer.

I tried uninstalled the Elements 3 but the same problem continue.

SPEC :

Q 6600

Gigabyte P43 ES3G

Enermax Liberty 500

G.Skill 4096MB 2048MB X2

GeCube Radeon X1950XT 512MB

Win XP SP3 32 BIT

Trying to copy a tape (filmed with Canon XL2) using FireWire with Elements 8.

I get CTD (Crash To Desktop) - or more accurate the program is Hard closing And I am back at the Purple welcome screen.

I am trying to capture the movie so I can work on it with the premier...

When I get the CTD the camera that I am using to capture the video is going to pause or sometimes continues in play mode ...

IF I go back to capture the movie with Elements3 I have no problem.

SO it is not a bad tape (and it happen more than in one)

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 8 Trial - cant copy tape to computer
          Lt_mor Level 1

ok, I think I am using a bad download ...

because I just reinstall the elements 7 trill and it was working fine.

I will re-download the 8 version and try again.

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 8 Trial - cant copy tape to computer
            the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR, a contributor on this forum, has been working with several users, who have not been getting good downloads of the PrE 8 program. Do not know if this is the trial, or the full program. Most of these threads are very recent (over last week, or so), and should still be on page one of the forum.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 8 Trial - cant copy tape to computer
              Lt_mor Level 1

It seem to be the problem.

I installed a fresh download it it is working fine.

but I have a new question, its seems that when the screen saver "go on" it stapes the capther tape sequence.

is it a bug ?

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 8 Trial - cant copy tape to computer
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Glad that it's working for you now, and thanks for reporting.

As to the "why," I'm not sure. It could be variables in one's browser, and how it handles downloads. It could be server issues on the Adobe side. They may be getting overloaded, or have maintenance issues? It could be lost connections with one's ISP, or similar. It could be issues WITH the download files too. I'd put that at the bottom of the list - as it appears here.

At least it DID work for you. Not just with PrE 8 trial, others have had to download several times, to get it right. Don't know all the possible variables, but others have downloaded easily and perfectly on the same day, at about the same tme.

Good luck, and enjoy the trial. Make sure to see AT Romero's articles on the changes with PrE 8. They are a wealth of knowledge. Since he comes from earlier versions of PrE, he's very qualified to tell you what has changed, and to also tell you how things are done in PrE 8.

Hunt

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 8 Trial - cant copy tape to computer
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Lt_mor

You say that when the screen saver "go on" it stops the capture tape sequence. I do not think that is a bug. Sounds like it is part of the opening sequence in the new version. But let us see.

You can have the program with or without the Welcome Screen as first pointed out by Ozpeter and some userdetails supplied by me in another thread.

Right now I am assuming that you are using the way with the Welcome Screen.

You should start by attaching your camcorder to the computer with a firewire connection. Have the camcorder ON in playback mode.

Then, turn on Premiere Elements 8 and follow the sequence of Windows. In the Welcome Screen, select New Project. Then when you get to the window which has a menu bar across the top and everything else is gray, click on File Menu/New/Project to bring up the New Project dialog.

In the New Project dialog, select your project preset (NTSC DV Standard or Widescreen OR PAL DV Standard or Widescreen).

Once the Premiere Elements 8 workspace opens, go to Organizer Tab/Get Media/DV Camcorder.

Your Capture window should open and you should be OK from there.

After you are OK with that, we can point you in the direction of how to work with Premiere Elements 8 without that Welcome Screen that you see early in the sequence.

Please let me know if that worked for you.

ATR

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 8 Trial - cant copy tape to computer
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    its seems that when the screen saver "go on" it stapes the capther tape sequence.

Is this the Windows' screen-saver? If so, please set this to None. All of Adobe's NLE's need full focus for most operations. PrE 8 will likely be no exception. You do not want any screen-savers, no hibernate, and no HDD shutdown/power savers on.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 8 Trial - cant copy tape to computer
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Lt_mor

Just so I do not confuse you and Hunt's question does not further confuse you because of me, please understand my response:

1. In my response, I assumed that you were calling the Premiere Elements 8 Welcome Screen the computer Screen Saver.

2. If you are really seeing the computer Screen Saver, please let us know, so we can adjust our suggestions accordingly.

Thank you.

ATR

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 8 Trial - cant copy tape to computer
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

Good point. I read "screen saver" literally, and could see that you were referring to what I know as the Splash Screen and dialog screens from there. That was why I did my post, just to find out what, exactly, the OP was referring to. As they are totally different, the ensuing answers would likely be different.

Thank you for making that distinction - good call,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 8 Trial - cant copy tape to computer
                          Lt_mor Level 1

windows screen sever I turned it OFF.

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 8 Trial - cant copy tape to computer
                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                            windows screen sever I turned it OFF.

Good move. Also, look at your Power Management (or similar syntax) settings. You do not want either your CPU, or your HDD's to go into "hibernate," or "sleep" mode. These can kill Capture too.

As stated above, PrE needs focus in these long processes, like Capture, Render and Export, plus when Burning a DVD. Some machines will shut down, if there is no keyboard/mouse input for x minutes. You do not want this to happen.

Good luck,

Hunt