26 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2011 4:45 AM by A.T. Romano

Thumbnails for HD videos not appearing in Photoshop Organizer

vdj5

How do I get thumbnails to appear in .mts (Canon HD) videos in Photoshop Organizer (bundled with Photoshop / Premiere 8?

• 1. Re: Thumbnails for HD videos not appearing in Photoshop Organizer
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

First, ensure that you have the latest version of Quicktime installed.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Thumbnails for HD videos not appearing in Photoshop Organizer
            vdj5 Level 1

I am running the 7.6.4 version of Quicktime, the latest according to Apple's website.   An earlier posting reports the same issue.

• 3. Re: Thumbnails for HD videos not appearing in Photoshop Organizer
              Barb__O Level 4

I had a similar problem with no image appearing in the thumbnails for .mpg (MPEG-2 standard defintion) files when using the Elements 8 Organizer with Photoshop Elements 8. This happened both for .mpg files from a Sony HDD camcorder and .mpg files created by Premiere Elements 7.

I realize that  because you have HD .mts files and I have SD .mpg files, our problems may not be the same. However, I do think it is worth at least a quick investigation of whether there are common factors.

1-- Do you mean no thumbnail at all? Or do you mean no image within the thumbnail?

2 -- how were these mts files entered in to the Organizer ?

(were you using Premiere Elements 8 or Photoshop Elements 8 at the time these mts files were added to the Organizer)

3  -- IF you find an .mts file that is NOT currently in the Organizer and attempt to import it to the Organizer using Photoshop Elements 8, do you see any messages about "missing codec"?

• 4. Re: Thumbnails for HD videos not appearing in Photoshop Organizer
                vdj5 Level 1

1 - No image from the video appears in the thumbnail, only a generic film strip graphic.

2 - The .mts video files are located in the Video folder under My Documents.   They were recognized automatically and imported by the Adobe Organizer.

3 - When importing .mts files, no error message appears.

The videos will play, it's just that no thumbnail from the video appears.

• 5. Re: Thumbnails for HD videos not appearing in Photoshop Organizer
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

vdj5

I can confirm your observations about Photoshop Elements 8 Organizer thumbnails for .m2t, .m2ts showing up as filmstrip graphic rather than the first frame of the HD video.

However, have you noticed that these same video files will open in the Premiere Element 8 Organizer interface with thumbnails with images of the first frame. No problems.

Let me share with you the following interesting scenario with regard to all this.

Photoshop Elements 8 Organizer

File Menu/Get Photos and tried to bring .m2ts video into Organizer. Imported OK, but thumbnail with filmstrip graphic.

File Menu/Get Photos and tried to bring another of these .m2ts videos (from same source) into Organizer. Got message that system does not have the necessary codecs.

Premiere Elements 8 Organizer

In Organizer, found video with thumbnail with image of first frame there.

If I reversed the process, and started with a cleared Premiere Elements 8 and Photoshop Elements 8 Organizer....and then, in Premiere Elements 8

Get Media/Files & Folders, both of these same .m2ts imported into Premiere Elements 8 Organizer showing thumbnails with image of first frame. No problem. Closed Premiere Elements 8.

Reopened Photoshop Elements 8

Found in the Organizer, thumbnails for both of these .m2ts videos. Each was represented with the filmstrip graphic. But, when you clicked on either of them, you got the most beautiful playback of the video that you could image. Trying to update the thumbnails did not get rid of the filmstrip graphic

My suggestion for now would be to bring your videos into the Elements Organizer on the Premiere Elements 8 side and take advantage of the integration perk where they can share a common database.

ATR

• 6. Re: Thumbnails for HD videos not appearing in Photoshop Organizer
                    Barb__O Level 4

It is possible that installing additional codecs will sovle the problem of the thumbnails from the Photoshop Elements Organizer.

Or you can use just Premiere Elements as ATR described.

• 7. Re: Thumbnails for HD videos not appearing in Photoshop Organizer
                      Allen Joy

Hi ,

I did some R&D and found out the following :

1)AVCHD files and MPEG2 files mainly HD files require activation first time when you import these files. So if you are using Photoshop elements Organizer ( Premiere elements not installed) then these files get imported but they will not be played or will be unusable. These files require activation from Premiere elements.

2)If one has installed Premiere elements and if one is directly importing the HD files then they will get imported , however on using them it will display the error message ,saying activation required and and these files need to be imported first in Premiere elements.

So, I suggest imoprting these files for the first time in Premiere elements and get components activated. After that these files can be imported directly into Organizer.

3)Now, about thumbnails. I have noticed that the Avchd files thumbnails especially M2ts are not shown in the Organizer,(now common for both PRE and PSE). This might be a bug. But it plays beautifully and everything can be done.

Some more observations :

For some HD files thumbnails are not shown in Elements organizer (name used to refer to the Photoshop Organizer which is shared by Premiere Elements and Photoshop elements) if the Operation system in WIN7

I hope this is useful

-Allen

• 8. Re: Thumbnails for HD videos not appearing in Photoshop Organizer
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Allen

Thanks for your report.

Just one point, when you talk about the thumbnails....do you agree that the thumbnail for AVCHD m2st in Photoshop Elements 8 shows up as a filmstrip graphic, but will contain the image of the first frame when viewed in the Organizer opening in Premiere Elements 8? Or, are you saying that you have found that the filmstrip graphic in the thumbnail exists both in Photoshop Elements 8 and Premiere Elements 8 Organizer (when the programs are installed on the same computer)?

ATR

• 9. Re: Thumbnails for HD videos not appearing in Photoshop Organizer
                          R Gentile

I have encountered the same identical problem with Version 8.0 of both Photoshop Elements and Premier Elements.  And I've read all the comments and suggestions on how to get around this problem -- all of which makes my head hurt.  Someone from Adobe needs to figure out the cause of this glitch and provide an update to all of us that makes the problem go away.  I'm not technically sophisticated enough to deal with this, and it is such a fundamentally basic problem that Adobe needs to step up and resolve it.  So, if anyone from Adobe is listening to their customers, please take some action here.

• 10. Re: Thumbnails for HD videos not appearing in Photoshop Organizer
                            PieterHelly

Hi guys,

I am new to Adobe premiere and use the combined organizer for my video files. I have the same problems getting thumbnails to show in the Photoshop organizer. After reading this post, I am not sure if the issue is resolved.

I manually changed all .mts files to .m2ts files, which seems to fix the problem but I would hate to keep doing that.

Is there a fix available?

Thanks....

• 11. Re: Thumbnails for HD videos not appearing in Photoshop Organizer
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

PieterHellv

Did you look into the Premiere Elements Organize entry route (See post 5 of this thread)?

ATR

• 12. Re: Thumbnails for HD videos not appearing in Photoshop Organizer
                                PieterHelly Level 1

Thanks AT,

Yes, I looked into that. Does this also work for the .mts format that my

camcorder captures? And if so, how can I get to the premiere organizer? It

defaults to the photoshop organizer when I click on "organize".

Thanks for your help,

Pieter

2010/5/24 A.T. Romano <forums@adobe.com>

PieterHellv

>

Did you look into the Premiere Elements Organize entry route (See post 5 of

this thread)?

>

ATR

>

• 13. Re: Thumbnails for HD videos not appearing in Photoshop Organizer
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

PieterHellv

In the hope of this being a remedy, I would bring your .mts into Premiere Elements with Get Media/Files & Folders. That should automatically place the video's thumbnail in the Premiere Elements Organize interface (Organize Blue Tab active). You can also right click the thumbnail there and select Update just to be sure.

If you want to get to the Elements Organizer interface from the Premiere Elements Organize interface in order to see how the Elements Organizer responded to this Premiere Elements import into its Organize, you would click on the Organizer Tab in the row below the Organize Blue Tab active). To go from the Elements Organizer workspace back to the Premiere Elements workspace, in the Elements Organizer workspace, you would go to the File Menu/Exit.

May work, may not, but it is worth a try.

ATR

• 14. Re: Thumbnails for HD videos not appearing in Photoshop Organizer
                                    R Gentile Level 1

Nope, the Adobe techs in India (or wherever) never really understood 

the problem and it all just went quiet. Need someone knowledge from 

Adobe to ease in and be proactive.

• 15. Re: Thumbnails for HD videos not appearing in Photoshop Organizer
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

RG

Have you taken the time to file one of those Adobe Bug Reports on the matter?

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Did Adobe India/Premiere Elements also have any comments on the Adobe Bug Reports received?

Nonetheless, it will be interesting to learn if introducing the .mts first into Premiere Elements  resolves the issue in this specific case just cited by PieterHellv.

ATR

• 16. Re: Thumbnails for HD videos not appearing in Photoshop Organizer

As we often point out, this forum is not the best way to contact Adobe. This forum is run by volunteers (including me, your host) who don't work for Adobe but want to help people get up and running with this program.

To contact Adobe with tech questions or feature suggestions, click on the Contact button at the very top of this page.

• 17. Re: Thumbnails for HD videos not appearing in Photoshop Organizer
                                          R Gentile Level 1

Never heard of a "bug report" and no one from Adobe ever mentioned 

same. When I get time later today I will try it.

• 18. Re: Thumbnails for HD videos not appearing in Photoshop Organizer
                                            R Gentile Level 1

Steve. It is great your forum is trying to help but that said I'm a 

believer those who make a product should correct it's defects. I'd 

like someone from Adobe to acknowledge the problem and generate a free 

fix that we can all download. I hope they at least monitor your forum.

• 19. Re: Thumbnails for HD videos not appearing in Photoshop Organizer

As I've said, if you want a response from Adobe, you need to contact Adobe.

They won't see your post on this forum.

BTW, have you updated to the latest version of Quicktime (http://www.apple.com) , per Adobe's instructions? That often solves these types of issues.

• 20. Re: Thumbnails for HD videos not appearing in Photoshop Organizer
                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Basically, we're all just users here. We are blessed with a limited Adobe presence here, but it is very limited, especially as PrE 9 is being developed and those employees are busy writing code.

This Feature Request/Bug Report is the best way to get Adobe's attention.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 21. Re: Thumbnails for HD videos not appearing in Photoshop Organizer
                                                  apollo_66

Has anyone here found a solution to the problem yet?  I've contacted Adobe and they basically told me that I have three choices. (1) Go buy Premiere Elements 9.  (2) Keep searching the forums and good luck. (3) Pay $39.95 to talk to someone in tech support (one problem per $39.95!) but no guarantee of a solution.  They don't seem to be quite as nice as they were in days gone by. Tried 'update thumbnail' and no help.  Tried importing media through Premiere Elements Organizer and I can finally see thumbnails but when I switch to Elements Organizer the film strip icon is still there instead of the thumbnail.  Can anyone point me in the right direction.  I'm not all that technical when it comes to this kind of stuff.  Thank you in advance for any and all help.

Mike

• 22. Re: Thumbnails for HD videos not appearing in Photoshop Organizer
                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Mike

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and what is the source and forma (compression/file extension....mts, .m2t, .m2ts or other)t of the video for which you have these problems?

For troubleshooting purposes, it may be worthwhile to download and install the free 30 day trial version of Premiere Elements 9 to see if your issue disappears with the latest version. Often you see people encouraged to upgrade when the upgrade is not the real answer. You do not have to uninstall your present Premiere Elements. Just use one version at a time.

Is your only problem with Premiere Elements in the Elements Organizer (presuming you have Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1)?

Problems with the same symptoms can (often do) have different causes. So, it would be interesting to get more information about your camera, the properties of the video being recorded from that camera, and the players installed on your computer that would be supplying codecs for your computer system...QuickTime, Windows Media Player, VLC player, etc.

ATR

• 23. Re: Thumbnails for HD videos not appearing in Photoshop Organizer
                                                      apollo_66 Level 1

Hello A.T. Ramano,

First and foremost I would like to take you in advance for any and all help.  I will try to answer your question to the best of my abilities but please remember I'm not all that technically savvy in these matters.

1.     Elements Organizer is version 8.0.  Premiere Elements is version 8.0.  I've tried to down load the update but get a message that is already installed.  Not to sure what you ment by sourse, unless you're wanting to know that Premiere was installed via DVD disks.

2.     File extension for HD video files is (.mts).

3.     The camera is a Canon Vixia HF S20.

4.     I'm not sure where to look for compression levels.  Video quality is set at the highest level on the camera (MXP).

5.     Thumbnails show up in the Premiere elements organizer (sometimes), but never in the Elements Organizer.

6.     Haven't tried downloading the trial version of Premiere 9.0, that's next.  If that doesn't work was thinking about uninstalling Premiere 8.0 and re-installing it.

7.     QuickTime Player is version 7.6.9.

8.     Windows Media Player is version 11.0.6002.18311.

9.     Pixela Image Mixer 3SE player is version 6.0.1.  Tried to update all three players and received a message that players were up to date.

10.   Video is shot in 16:9 mode, Super Fine / 1920x1080, Cinema Mode progressive frame rate of (PF24).

11.   Computer is a Dell Studio XPS laptop, Intel Core 2 Duo CPU P8600 @ 2.40 GHz, 4.0 GB of ram, Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit operating system service pack 2, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670 video card with 1GB of on board ram.

If there is other information you require, please don't hesitate to ask,  Thank you again for your help.

Sincerely,

Mike

• 24. Re: Thumbnails for HD videos not appearing in Photoshop Organizer
                                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Mike

I have a variety of 1920 x 1080 AVCHD.mts files that I have imported from the Photoshop Elements 9 side and from the Premiere Elements 9/9.0.1 side to get them into the Elements Organizer. In all cases, the thumbnail for the video is displayed (also is displayed in Premiere Elements 9/9.0.1 Organize space).And, these videos can be played back in the Elements Organizer. I am working from Windows 7 Professional SP1 64 bit. My computer players include Windows Media Player 12 and the latest version of QuickTime. My Windows 7 Windows Media Player 12 will play back more video formats than my Windows XP Professional SP3 32 bit and its Windows Media Player 11.

All that being said

a. have you tried to download some players to see if any would contribute some codecs that might resolve you issue.

b. what happens if you rename just the file extension of you video, from .mts to .mov? Do you get the Elements Organizer thumbnails populated with the first frame image?

Another thought...what is the duration of one of your typical .mts files? Have you noticed any difference in your issue related to the duration of a file?

Just some thoughts. The key to all this may be the look at the Premiere Elements 9 trial version to see if these Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1  problems carry over to this latest version.

ATR

• 25. Re: Thumbnails for HD videos not appearing in Photoshop Organizer
                                                          apollo_66 Level 1

Hello A.T.Romano,

Thanks again for all you help.  I haven't tried to down load any other players being that there are probably another 3 to 4 players on my hard drive that I didn't include in my e-mail.  Also tried renaming the file extension to (.m2ts), no help there either.  Most of the files have a duration of 10 to 20 seconds with a few lasting a couple of minutes.

Installed Premiere 9.0 trial version and got THUMBNAILS in both Organizers.  Yippie!  It's only a shame we couldn't get it to work in Premiere 8.0.  Oh well, time is precious so I'll go out and buy a copy of Premiere 9.0. THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH FOR ALL YOUR HELP!  It's nice to know there are still people out there willing to help others just out of the kindness of their heart.  I'll be sure to pass it on to another soul in need.

Sincerely,

Mike

• 26. Re: Thumbnails for HD videos not appearing in Photoshop Organizer
                                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Mike

Thanks for that follow up. We were glad to learn that Premiere Elements 9/9.0.1 worked for you. If you decide to go with Premiere Elements 9/9.0.1, please look for your best price from the various sources.

If you did give Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 another look for this, I would try the specific renaming of that .mts file extension to .mov and see what happens.

Much success with your projects.

ATR