9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2009 7:24 AM by Eric Addison

Premiere CS4 is useless for EX1 HD footage.

cojimar

Hey Guys

I have been a big user of premiere for the longest time.  I started with 6.5 as has been using very happily in my business until I decided to upgrade to CS4 so that I could take on HD footage.  I have a Dell Workstation 490 with Dual Quad Core processors and 8 GBs or RAM.  One OS partition running XP with Premiere and CS2 with a Matrox card.  Very happy and fast.  The next partiion is Vista 64 with CS4 and NO matrox drivers loaded.  Nvidia FX580 card (512MB).  This PC started giving me problems with HD footage.  Freezing up whenever I imported the footage to the timeline.  I would hit play and only the sound would play and the monitor screen remained frozen.  I blamed it on possibly needing a Hardware upgrade.

I purchased another PC.  Dell Workstation T7500 with 16Gbs of RAM.  15K RPM HD.  and two mirrored 1.5Gbs HDs with a Radeon HD4870 card (1Gb memory.)  Upgraded to CS4.1 and exactly the same problem.  CS4 is really slow and it will stop responding once I start scrubbing through the timelime.  It got a bit better once I disabled thumbnails from the timelime but I haven't been able to complete a full job due to CS4.  What I find amazing is that I downloaded a demo version of Edius 5 and it runs incredibly smooth just like DV footage on CS2.  I would hate to get rid of CS4 but I need to get my work done.  I have even downgraded to just Version 4.0, 4.01 and same results.  Please help!  Thanks.

Notes:  I have tried different footage as I keep capturing new footage all the time.  I can get the PC to freeze very quicly by just scrubing through the timeline.  I have even broken the project into smaller timelines and same issue.  I have tried other video cards from Nvidia and same problem.

• 1. Re: Premiere CS4 is useless for EX1 HD footage.
          Harm Millaard Level 7

You can't capture with the EX1. You need to transfer the whole BPAV directory and all subfolders with Clip Browser and then import into a properly set sequence.

• 2. Re: Premiere CS4 is useless for EX1 HD footage.
            Eric Addison User Group Manager

cojimar wrote:

This PC started giving me problems with HD footage.  Freezing up whenever I imported the footage to the timeline.  I would hit play and only the sound would play and the monitor screen remained frozen.  I blamed it on possibly needing a Hardware upgrade.

The monitor freeze when playing back footage is a known issue with the 4.1 update. It happens when have an external monitor hooked up and selected for playback - playback is fine on the external monitor. Go into your playback seetings and set the "external device" to none, and you should see playback in the program monitor working fine. I would think(and hope) this problem will be fixed later this month when the 4.2 update is released.

I purchased another PC.  Dell Workstation T7500 with 16Gbs of RAM.  15K RPM HD.  and two mirrored 1.5Gbs HDs with a Radeon HD4870 card (1Gb memory.)  Upgraded to CS4.1 and exactly the same problem.  CS4 is really slow and it will stop responding once I start scrubbing through the timelime.  It got a bit better once I disabled thumbnails from the timelime but I haven't been able to complete a full job due to CS4.  What I find amazing is that I downloaded a demo version of Edius 5 and it runs incredibly smooth just like DV footage on CS2.  I would hate to get rid of CS4 but I need to get my work done.  I have even downgraded to just Version 4.0, 4.01 and same results.  Please help!  Thanks.

Notes:  I have tried different footage as I keep capturing new footage all the time.  I can get the PC to freeze very quicly by just scrubing through the timeline.  I have even broken the project into smaller timelines and same issue.  I have tried other video cards from Nvidia and same problem.

I cut XDCAM EX footage with no problems on both my laptop and workstation, so it could be something else. Harm brings up a point - are you importing the whole BPAV folder? Do you have the correct sequence settings for the footage your editing?

• 3. Re: Premiere CS4 is useless for EX1 HD footage.
              Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

On your newly purchased Dell system have you cleaned up all the unecessary garbage that they install?  How many proecesses do you have running?  Have you turned of indexing and compression on all your drives?  Have you turned off "System Restore" on all except maybe your OS drive?

• 4. Re: Premiere CS4 is useless for EX1 HD footage.
                dradeke Adobe Employee

Hey Cojimar,

Are you using the Media Browser as part of your workflow in Premiere Pro CS4?

Dennis

• 5. Re: Premiere CS4 is useless for EX1 HD footage.
                  cojimar Level 1

Thank you all for such quick response.  This is my workflow.

I don't use the clip browser.  I only move the MP4 files to a folder on my RAID drives.  I figured I didn't really need the rest of the files since They're ignored anyhow.  I prefer this method as I use Adobe Bridge to batch rename all the files which I have stopped doing until I figure out my problem.  I'm using the Clip browser and importing the whole VBAP folder to see if the problem is fixed.

I actually reformated the OS HD and installed Vista 64Bits and Adobe Premium Suite only as this was intented as an editing station only.  I don't even have and antivirus program installed on that PC.  I will reply back on my findings once I try your suggestions.

• 6. Re: Premiere CS4 is useless for EX1 HD footage.
                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                    I didn't really need the rest of the files since They're ignored anyhow.

They may not be visibly used, but they are hardly 'ignored'.  They are, in fact, vital to the proper functioning of the media.

• 7. Re: Premiere CS4 is useless for EX1 HD footage.
                      dradeke Adobe Employee

Try this and tell us if it helps you at all.

Copy the whole BPAV folder over to your video drive.  Then utilize the Media Browser to look at your clips.  The Media Browser will allow you to see all of the clips at one time.  Double click to load one into the source view.  Take the ones you like to the project or timeline panel.

This is our intended workflow for for XDCAM EX - or at least one intended workflow!

Dennis

• 8. Re: Premiere CS4 is useless for EX1 HD footage.
                        cojimar Level 1

Thank You everyone for helping me on this.  Last night I imported the entire VBAP folder and files and CS4 is running A LOT better.  I only tried it for about 5 minutes by doing things that I know would normally cause the program to lockup and it didnt'.  I will remain running version 4.01 for now as I hear lots of problem with the monitor screen locking up on version 4.1.  I assumed that only the MP4 were being used by CS4 as it gave me warnings that they were ignored during the import face.

Is there a way to rename the files once I move them to my RAID drive?  I usually setup a name of CAM1- CAM2- for each camera and reset the number everytime I go to a new job.  My only concern is that I know I will have the same clip names for different jobs.  This may be a problem if I try to compile the files under one projet.

Many thanks for helping out.

• 9. Re: Premiere CS4 is useless for EX1 HD footage.
                          Eric Addison User Group Manager

cojimar wrote:

I will remain running version 4.01 for now as I hear lots of problem with the monitor screen locking up on version 4.1.

I'd encourage you to update to 4.1 - much more stabe. As for the monitor freeze issue, as I posted earlier, it's a known issue, but it's something you can work around.  It happens when have an external monitor hooked up and selected for playback - playback is fine on the external monitor. Go into your playback seetings and set the "external device" to none, and you should see playback in the program monitor working fine.