What bitrates did you use to encode to?
Did you check this calculator: http://dvd-hq.info/bitrate_calculator.php?PHPSESSID=6501b6b2b31f4c4a295bc8c2ba1e6f57#Calcu lator
Alternatively, use DL to Encore and let Encore handle the encoding for you.
One thing to note is that 24P is still wrapped in 60i on DVD, so you have to use 3:2 pulldown.
Here's what I would do.
Install the free Lagarith codec on your system. Export out a Lagarith intermediate with the appropriate specs.
Install the free HC Encoder on your system, along with AVISynth. Read the various web postings about how to make this work.
Once you have it working, use the following settings in HC Encoder. (Pay attention to the underlining.)
That'll create arguably the best picture you can get without using Scenarist.
How do I do this? I downloaded the Lagarith codec and installed it, but I'm not sure how to export an intermediate. Also, I'm using CS4, which doesn't apparently support frameserving at the moment. Can I just export an uncompressed AVI?
1 person found this helpful
Uncompressed will work perfectly fine. It just takes up more room is all.
To export using Lagarith, select Microsoft AVI in the export settings, then under the Video tab, you will find the Lagarith codec as an option.
Ah, now I see it. I'll give the encoding a try with the settings you posted.
Well, the m2v file did appear to look better, but the only problem is that it is about 2 min faster than it's supposed to be. The video now ends at right around 19 min 40 sec, when it should be 21 min and 25 sec long. The audio and video start out in sync, but begin getting out of sync after about 90 seconds.
I'm not sure what the problem is.
1 person found this helpful
Two things. First, Windows (7 at least, not sure about others) does not report the correct length of videos created with this method. I don't know why. Don't use Explorer as an accurate read of program length.
Second, the suggested method is thoroughly tested and works properly when done correctly. So if something is actually wrong (the issue isn't solved with the above), we should take a detailed look at your actions to find where you went wrong.
The first couple of things that come to mind are that you may have checked Expand Sills on the Video tab in your export settings, or Enable Null Frames in the Lagarith settings. Don't do either. The second thing that comes to mind is possibly exporting video and audio together. Don't do that either. Make your Lags export video only. Export audio separately.
There are other things we can check if needed.
Ok, I figured out that the video was messed up in the .AVI file so it wasn't anything HC Encoder did. I did export both video and audio, so I'll try it with just video.
The AVI exported correctly out of Premiere Pro this time and the conversion worked. There are still some jagged lines, but it appears much better overall. I did find that I needed to export the AVI out of Premiere Pro at 23.97fps progressive rather than 24fps progressive and that HC Encoder was looking for YV12 mode from Lagarith (although it could be converted with the AviSynth script).
Thanks for the help!