15 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2009 8:14 PM by Jim_Simon

64 bit trial of Premiere

adrian aitken

I downloaded the trial of Premiere and After Effects in the hope of installing them on my Windows 7 64 bit computer (my normal PC runs Photoshop/Premiere Elements 7 bundle on XP 32 bit).

When I installed the downloaded programs they wanted to install themselves into "Program Files (x86)" which is for 32bit programs.

Is there a magic switch I need to install them as 64 bit programs or doesn't Adobe allow 64 bit trials?

Many thanks

Adrian

• 1. Re: 64 bit trial of Premiere
          tclark513 Level 3

These programs are not 64 bit.  Photoshop is the only one that is.

• 2. Re: 64 bit trial of Premiere
            adrian aitken Level 1

Hi, thanks but according to Adobe http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/ "the 64 bit optimization improves workflow...." so I would make the giant assumption that the software is 64 bit to allow it to be optimized. Is this wrong ?

Regards

Adrian

• 3. Re: 64 bit trial of Premiere
              Jim_Simon Level 8

It is wrong.  "64 bit optimization" only means that the software is capable of additional memory usage often found in 64 bit systems.  It does not mean the software is a 64 bit application, processing 64 bit chunks of data in the CPU.

• 4. Re: 64 bit trial of Premiere
                Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

It's optimized for 64-bit, it's not natively 64-bit.  It spawns

multiple 32-bit processes, so it can use (almost) all of the memory you

have available.

-Jeff

• 5. Re: 64 bit trial of Premiere
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

The program is 32 bit. Period. There are some memory utilizations that allow the program to use very effectively more than 4 GB RAM. That is why people notice much better performance with 8 or 12 GB memory. Maybe CS5 will bring 64 bit programs, we'll have to wait and see.

• 6. Re: 64 bit trial of Premiere
                    adrian aitken Level 1

So, what you are all saying is Adobe is not telling the truth on their website, or at least being deceptive. They specifically say on their PDF at http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/production/pdfs/cs4_production_premium_64bit_w p.pdf that all CS4 offer native 64 bit support.

•  Adobe Photoshop® CS4 Extended sofware offers native 64-bit support for Microsof® 
                        Windows Vista®.

•  Adobe Premiere® Pro CS4 sofware is architected and optimized for 64-bit 
                        operating systems.

two quotes from the PDF indicating to me at least that it runs as a 64 bit app.

The last paragraph in the PDF says

Will the rest of Adobe Creative Suite be 64-bit native on Mac OS and Windows?
                    Although 64-bit support across all the Creative Suite products is not yet available, Adobe
                    continues to prioritize 64-bit support based on the potential user benefts and the 
                    complexity of the code transition.

but does not say that that includes Premiere or After Effects.

So, off to Sony and their Vegas Pro 64 bit and I'll keep Adobe for their low end 32 bit apps on my netbook.

Very disappointing for a so-called industry leader not to bother doing true 64 bit support - it's not like Microsoft only announced it yesterday is it ?

• 7. Re: 64 bit trial of Premiere
                      Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

So, what you are all saying is Adobe is not telling the truth on their website, or at least being deceptive.

That's not what we're saying at all.  You will definitely see performance benefits with a 64-bit system as compared to a 32-bit system. 

You need to read the .pdf more carefully, and make sure you understand what it's saying before you start making unfounded accusations.

-Jeff

• 8. Re: 64 bit trial of Premiere
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

I see quite a big difference between the two bullet points you posted.

Don't you?

• 9. Re: 64 bit trial of Premiere
                          adrian aitken Level 1

Hi Jeff, I don't know if you work for Adobe or not but why doesn't Adobe clearly state the apps are 32 bit (even if they are optimized for 64 bit) ? Are they embarassed or something ?

From my point of view (as a ex-programmer), when I wrote software for 16 bit Windows , yes I could 'optimize' it when 32 bit Window came out but it was just a clunky fudge. Back then it was memory issues as well as new processor instructions. But running a Windows 32 bit app in Windows 32 bit was always faster (and better programming) than just doing work-arounds (often due to financial/time budgets). But if we'd ever said or implied that a 16 bit app was "how ever you want to word it for marketing purposes" a 32 bit app I'm sure lawyers would have been over us like a rash. Photoshop CS4 is a 64 bit app. Why don't Adobe clearly state that Premiere and After Effects are 32 bit ?

Now I'm way to old to start flame wars so if the mods want to lock this topic down it is OK by me. Obviously I'm unhappy by the wording Adobe use and the people replying are probably Adobe fan-boys, I've no problem with that (I work with Mac/iPhone owners) so I think we'll have to agree to disagree.

Regards

Adrian

• 10. Re: 64 bit trial of Premiere
                            Jim_Simon Level 8
                            if we'd ever said or implied that a 16 bit app was "how ever you want to word it for marketing purposes" a 32 bit app

I believe Adobe neither said such a thing, nor implied it.  I believe you misunderstood, and are upset by your own misunderstanding.

• 11. Re: 64 bit trial of Premiere
                              Kona Bob Level 2

Adrian

You seem to feel strongly that Adobe's statements about Premiere being optomized for 64 bit OS is just marketing flim flam.

AE and Premiere have always been 32 bit apps and there is no secret about that.

As a customer, it's important information for me to know that Premiere CS4 is now faster and more stable on a 64 bit platform than on 32 bit.

I have used Premiere on both 64 & 32 bit systems, and the difference is remarkable in my experience. I find Adobe's statements re Premiere + 64 bit OS to be both accurate and useful information.

Rather than feeling decieved, this experience has only whetted my appetite for a native 64 bit Premiere version, which is expected in CS5.

• 12. Re: 64 bit trial of Premiere
                                pebalsamo Level 2

I will agree that it is misleading.  When we first purchased CS4 it was my understanding that this was a 64 bit program.  It was not until reading here on the board that I found out that it is 32 bit.  I too was pretty frustrated with the "Marketing" twards 64 bit that lead me to believe that it indeed was 64 bit.  I have worked with it and for the most part have been happy with it.  I just hope that future versions will actually be 64 bit...

Phil

• 13. Re: 64 bit trial of Premiere
                                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                                  I just hope that future versions will actually be 64 bit.

I think that is a point we can all agree on.

• 14. Re: 64 bit trial of Premiere
                                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>64 bit Premiere version, which is expected in CS5

While we all HOPE the next version is 64bit, I'd say that "expected" may not be a bit strong

Nobody here who can talk about CS5 is going to be able tell us if it will or won't be 64bit... we'll just have to wait for Adobe's announcement

• 15. Re: 64 bit trial of Premiere
                                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                                      I'd say that "expected" may not be a bit strong

I think it's right on target.  I honestly expected it in CS4.  If it doesn't come in CS5, if we have to wait another 18 month development cycle, Adobe will have reeeeeeeally missed the boat.