10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2009 5:35 PM by the_wine_snob

Watermark in Video

wehrle_colin

How do i put a watermark in a video? i want the watermark to be in the bottom left corner the whole time the video plays.

• 1. Re: Watermark in Video
          A.T. Romano Level 7

The first thought that came to mind was using the Premiere Elements Titler to create a Title with letters/initials on Video Track 2 above your video Video Track 1 and drag it so that it ends the same time the video does. Move and position the "watermark" to the appropriate location. You could highlight the Title on the Timeline and, via Properties Palette/Opacity, lower the Opacity of your "watermark".

The "watermark" could also be a logo on a transparent background that you created in a program such as Photoshop Elements and brought into Premiere Elements as a .psd.

ATR

• 2. Re: Watermark in Video
            the_wine_snob Level 9

In the most common useage, this is called a bug. It can be added to a Lower Third Title, as a still on a higher Video Track, or even as a PiP.

The easiest way to do this would be to size your logo/watermark in, say PS/PSE, and then Import that image into PrE. Place it above the Video on the lower Video Tracks, adjust the Opacity to suit, and perhaps animate it with Position Keyframes, if desired.

Good luck,

Hunt

[Edit] Oops, while I was trying to also watch the Broncos' game, ATR beat me to the post... He's just too quick.

Message was edited by: the_wine_snob - Added [Edit]

• 3. Re: Watermark in Video
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

I arrived on the scene earlier than you only because the Patriots had an early game that ended earlier than the Broncos' game.

ATR

(They won.)

• 4. Re: Watermark in Video
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, I was trying to multi-task, and the Broncos were driving, so I was slow and my attention diverted.

Hunt

• 5. Re: Watermark in Video
                  wehrle_colin Level 1

What if my video is already made? i made a video in windows movie maker, now i just want to add the watermark, if i just load that one video file into adobe, will it be able to make my watermark? or will i have to make my whole movie in adobe?

• 6. Re: Watermark in Video
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, and easily.

Let's start with the logo. I'd create it in Photoshop/Photoshop Elements, and size it to very close to what you'll want. I'd do this by Opening a New Image, and choosing, say the NTSC 4:3 720x480 PAR 0.9 (or what matches your Project). Save_As a .PSD, a .TIFF, or a .JPEG. Import that into your PrE Project, along with your WMM movie. Drag your WMM movie (in DV-AVI format w/ the DV/DVC CODEC) to Video Track 1 and then your still image to Video Track 2. Drag on the Tail of your still, to get it to match the Duration of the material on Video Track 1. Adjust the Effect>Opacity of the still to what you need. Use Effect>Position, and/or Effect>Scale, if you still need to position and resize for the video frame. Make sure that you Title Safe Area guides are on.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Watermark in Video
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

As an aside, when doing any logo work, I create these in Adobe Illustrator as Vector images. This allows for total resizing with no degradation.

I then bring the .AI file into Photoshop and Place it onto my "title image." I do most of my resizing and positiong in this image. If I have critical placement concerns, I'll Export a still from my Video, and use it as a guide.

I create these Titles with Transparent Background, but then I use PrPro and it will handle .PSD files in slightly different ways, than does PrE.

Now, what form is your "logo" in now? Do you also have Photoshop, or Photoshop Elements? If not, then you can still use other image editors, even freeware ones, like Gimp, or IrfanView. There, you might want to Save as .PNG to preserve the full Transparency. Your exact choices will be predicated on what you have, both in source material and also image editors.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Watermark in Video
                        wehrle_colin Level 1

OK, i see how to do that, the only thing i am having trouble with is getting it to overlap the video, i see where i select how big it is, and how much you can see of it, but i am having trouble getting to overlap the clip and play for as long as the clip.

• 9. Re: Watermark in Video
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Here's a look at a logo (.PSD in this case, with Transparent Background), used with other Titles and images. Obviously, you will not have, nor will you need, so many Video Tracks. You only need two. Note the fixed Effect>Opacity turned down from 100%.

Hope that this helps and good luck,

Hunt

Logo_Screen-cap_01.jpg

• 10. Re: Watermark in Video
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

If my screen-cap does not show you the positioning on the Timeline, let me know. For that example, I just positioned the logo into the upper-left corner of the Title Safe Area, as I knew that I had clear space there.

i am having trouble getting to overlap the clip and play for as long as the clip.

For adjusting the Duration, just click-drag on the Tail of your logo still and stretch it out to suit.

Good luck,

Hunt