10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2009 5:38 PM by the_wine_snob

Ripply effect

Tim Flippance Level 1

Hi all

I just downloaded the latest updates to PP CS4.

Then I tried to run a movie which I made in PP CS4 a few months ago, and it wouldn't run without re rendering all the effects (this was all rendered and finished before these updates) so I rendered it all. But now on pan shots there is a ripply effect on the extreme right of the picture as if the moving picture is being viewed through a strip of ripply glass. I repeat this movie was perfectly OK before I downloaded these updates. What is happening?

• 1. Re: Ripply effect
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Tim,

A couple of questions:

What version of CS4 was this Project done in?

I assume that you upgraded to CS4.1. Is that correct?

Has any part of this Project been moved, or altered in any way? Did you delete the Render files from the Scratch Disks?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Ripply effect
            Tim Flippance Level 1

Hunt

the project was made in 4.0 (bought December last year) and I upgraded to 4.1.0

No part of the project was altered in any way.  I presume I didn't delete any render files.  The film played perfectly well in PP before this update, but after the update, when I try to play the film, it says "Rendering required files".  When it's done that there are still red lines above fades, so I then render all effects to turn them green. Now it plays, but has this 1/2 inch wide vertical bar down the RHS of the picture, in which the image sort of "wobbles" as it passes by as if there were a vertical strip of glass with vertical ripples moulded into it which alternately magnify and reduce the image as it moves underneath it, giving a ripply effect.

Any idea?   Tim

• 3. Re: Ripply effect
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Tim,

Might not have any influence on anything, as this Project DID play in the earlier version of CS4, but out of curiosity, what are your source files?

Something else to look at, though I think it's moot, is what is your Program Monitor set to for both Quality and Magnification?

As you can see, I'm rather grasping at straws here, until someone comes along with a good answer for you.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Ripply effect
                Tim Flippance Level 1

Hunt

It was made with a CANON HV30 camera in HDV 1440x1080 16:9 on mini dv tapes.

I don't know what the program monitor is set to, I don't know how to check that

Tim

• 5. Re: Ripply effect
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Tim,

Rt-click on the Program Monitor and look at the fly-out menu. Check both Magnification and Quality. If Quality is set to Highest (or similar syntax), try Automatic. If Automatic, try Highest.

Also, check that your Sequence settings match your source footage. This should be good footage to use, but I wonder if there is now a mismatch someplace.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Ripply effect
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Tim,

On a sidenote, you could always tell the client that this is your patented "Ripply [SIC] Believe it - or not!" Effect and will cost extra...

Sorry, I could not resist. Just ignore that, and let's see if we can get your Project back to behaving correctly. Maybe an Anti-Ripply Filter...

Just kidding, of course.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Ripply effect
                      Tim Flippance Level 1

Hunt

That did it!  I changed the Program Monitor quality from Automatic to Highest and it's fixed the problem.

Actualy re your joke: that ripply effect was quite interesting - if you could do it over the whole screen it would look quite good!  Maybe I could sell it?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Tim

• 8. Re: Ripply effect
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Tim,

Glad to hear the good news, and thanks for reporting.

As for my poor attempt at humor - I want a 10% "finder's fee!"

Hunt

[Edited] -

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Ripply effect
                          Tim Flippance Level 1

Done.  10% of $2,000,000 is $200,000   Are you sure that'enough for such a valuable suggestion?

• 10. Re: Ripply effect
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Tim,

That sounds about right to me. When the deal is inked, I'll send you my PayPal account.

Take care,

Hunt