21 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2009 8:12 PM by the_wine_snob

Video is being stretched within the project

Roryt2000

I'm trying to edit a 480i (720x480) video with an image overlayed on top of it, however the project isn't displaying the video correctly. The video file is 720x480, the image is 720x480 and the resolution of the project is 720x480. Everything should fit perfectly, however the video file is being stretched to 873x480 whereas the image remains at 720x480, giving it blank borders on both sides and not fitting correctly within the video. If everything is set to 720x480, why are the video file and preview not the right size? Everything is already 'scaled to fit' so that is not the problem.

• 1. Re: Video is being stretched within the project
          Harm Millaard Level 7

What codec and what sequence settings?

• 2. Re: Video is being stretched within the project
            Roryt2000 Level 1

Blackmagic Motion JPEG

sequence settings.jpg

• 3. Re: Video is being stretched within the project
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Any differences between playback settings and sequence settings?

• 4. Re: Video is being stretched within the project
                Roryt2000 Level 1

Here are the playback settings:

playback settings.jpg

I'm not sure what you mean by differences.

• 5. Re: Video is being stretched within the project
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Nothing out of the ordinary from the looks of it. The image you use as overlay has the same PAR as your video, or could it be square pixels? Make sure that both your video and the image are interpreted with the same resolution and PAR.

• 6. Re: Video is being stretched within the project
                    Roryt2000 Level 1

Well the image is square pixels and if I change it to D1/DV NTSC Widescreen (1.2) in Photoshop it then fits the video but comes out looking distorted.

• 7. Re: Video is being stretched within the project
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

The video is fine. The problem is your image. You need to adjust the image size to either 720 x 480 wide PAR or to 864 x 480 square pixels or use scale to fit for the image, but NOT on the video.

• 8. Re: Video is being stretched within the project
                        Roryt2000 Level 1

That's what I did, but the image comes out distorted.

• 9. Re: Video is being stretched within the project
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

Don't you have a higher resolution image that you can modify to fit in 720 x 480 wide PAR?

• 10. Re: Video is being stretched within the project
                            Roryt2000 Level 1

The original image is 1280x720 and has been modified to 720x480 to fit the project. When I change it to either 720x480 wide PAR or modify the original to 864x480 square pixels, the original image looks fine but within the project (and after being exported) it looks jagged and distorted, whereas the background video still looks fine.

• 11. Re: Video is being stretched within the project
                              Harm Millaard Level 7

What happens when you use the original with its 1280 x 720 dimensions and use scale to fit?  Does it still distort, even if you have set interpret footage to square pixels?

• 12. Re: Video is being stretched within the project
                                Roryt2000 Level 1

Yes it distorts, but that's because it's being resized so much, not because of the PAR. The only way that I can get the picture to display clearly is to leave it at 720x480 square pixels, but that just leads me back to the original problem of it not fitting over the video.

What I'm not understanding is why the video has to stretch to 873x480 within the project, messing up all other elements, when the source video and project settings are both 720x480. Why doesn't it just edit it using the original resolution if that's what the actual video file is and that's what it will be exporting as anyway? Is there no way to just do it like that? I've been editing 720p video for years now and have never had a problem like this.

• 13. Re: Video is being stretched within the project
                                  Jim_Simon Level 8

You have widescreen footage.  You have a widescreen image.  There are three choices to make this work.

1.) Import the original image and scale it.

2.) Resize the image to a square pixel equivalent resolution in Photoshop, making sure Premiere sees it as such (using Interpret Footage if necessary).

3.) Resize the image to a Widescreen pixel equivalent in Photoshop, making sure Premiere sees it as such (using Interpret Footage if necessary).

Quite honestly, all three should produce perfectly acceptable results.  Your original image is not all that big.

• 14. Re: Video is being stretched within the project
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Rory,

Your Video is 720 x 480 @ 1.212 PAR, according to your screen-cap. In Photoshop (PS), go to Image New (Ctrl+N) and choose the NTSC 720 x 480 Widescreen 16:9 PAR 1.2. Once done, choose Image>PAR and Custiom, change 1.2 to 1.212 (this was a change in PrPro, and might not have yet made it into PS yet). Now, Open your full rez image. Ctrl+A (Select All), Ctrl+C (Copy), and then bring focus to your New Image. Hold Shift and Ctrl+V (Paste). This will put your image on a New Layer, Layer 1, in an Image with the correct dimensions and PAR. You can the Ctrl+T (Free Transform) and adjust the size of your Layer 1 image to suit. Holding down Shift while dragging the Handles of the Bounding Box will constrain the Aspect Ratio. Note, you might be cropping some of that image to fit the Aspect Ratio of your New Image. Anything outside of the Image boundries will effectly be cropped off. Note: you are NOT using the Crop Tool here, but letting the New Image Aspect Ratio effectively do the cropping (note no capitalization) for you. When satisfied with the result, you Delete the Background Layer (not necessary, but I do this to clean things up a bit), and Save_As .PSD to the proper folder.

With Scale to Fit turned OFF, Import_As Footage, this image and drag to the Timeline, making sure that Scale to Fit is OFF. It should be perfect then. Hope that this works for you and gets rid of the problem.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: Video is being stretched within the project
                                      Roryt2000 Level 1

Okay so it turns out that setting Interpret Footage to Square Pixels on the video is actually what fixed it. The problem with the image I'm using being distorted doesn't have to do with the stretching but with the image itself. It consists of a semi-transparent block with white text on top of it. The text inside the image itself looks perfectly fine. When imported to the project and viewed in preview, it looks jagged. I just don't understand why it's doing this as the original image in a 720p project has never given me problems, and all I did was modify it to fit this. What's strange is that when I click on the image in preview (as if to resize it in the video) it looks perfectly fine but then when I click back into the timeline, it looks terrible again. Then in the export preview, it once again looks perfectly fine but in the final video it looks jagged. I don't get it. Every other image I'm working with that has text (and transparency in other parts) looks fine, but this one that has text laid over the transparency looks bad. I'm using the exact same settings as all my other 720p videos, but with a reduced resolution and this one image just isn't coming out right. I'm stumped.

• 16. Re: Video is being stretched within the project
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                                        What's strange is that when I click on the image in preview (as if to resize it in the video) it looks perfectly fine but then when I click back into the timeline, it looks terrible again.

Rory,

Let's look at your display in the Program Monitor. Rt-click on it and look at both Quality and also Magnification. In Quality, if on Automatic set it on Highest. If Highest, try Automatic. In Magnification, set to 100%, especially if it's set to Fit.

Also, have you Rendered this area. If not, place the WAB over this area and hit Enter.

Now, how do things look?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 17. Re: Video is being stretched within the project
                                          Roryt2000 Level 1

Well, rendering it makes the preview look good but when exported that bit of text still looks awful. I don't get it. The image looks fine, the preview looks fine, the export preview looks fine but in the video itself the text is distorted. I'm exporting it in high quality (the exact same settings I use for all my 720p videos), and the same resolution as the project.

• 18. Re: Video is being stretched within the project
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Don't know if this ARTICLE will provide any tips, but it might be worth a look.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 19. Re: Video is being stretched within the project
                                              Roryt2000 Level 1

AH! Figured it out (sort of)! The problem was that the field order for the PNG image was No Fields (Progressive Scan) and the field order for the video was Lower Field First, so changing the field order to the video in Interpret Footage to No Fields (Progressive Scan) cleared the image up. The only problem with that is that since the default setting for the video is Lower Field First, changing it makes the background video look a little weird. Changing the image file to Lower Field First takes it back to looking bad again. Is there any way to edit the original image in Photoshop so that it will fit this but not lose quality?

• 20. Re: Video is being stretched within the project
                                                Roryt2000 Level 1

Okay nevermind, I figured that out as well. Right clicking on the video (that has been changed to No Fields - Progressive Scan) and selecting Field Options > Always Deinterlace makes it look fine. So, problem solved. Finally. Thanks so much for everyones help.

• 21. Re: Video is being stretched within the project
                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Rory,

Great news and glad that you got it sorted. Thanks for reporting.

Hunt