1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 5, 2009 6:41 AM by Gusgsm

Profile photo vs profile PDF

talltim1 Level 1

Hi,

Is there any need to apply a profile to a photo when you can apply it to the PDF anyway? So if I have a bunch of CMYK images that have profiles for newsprint and I want to use them in a glossy brochure, and I have the correct profile for that, can it be done successfully when creating the PDF rather than applying the profile to each image. And if so, is there any quality issues of one method over the other?

Thank you in advance, Tim

• 1. Re: Profile photo vs profile PDF
          Gusgsm Level 2
          Is there any need to apply a profile to a photo when you can apply it to the PDF anyway?

See below.

So if I have a bunch of CMYK images that have profiles for newsprint and I want to use them in a glossy brochure, and I have the correct profile for that, can it be done successfully when creating the PDF rather than applying the profile to each image.?

Yes. If you are using something like, let's say, InDesign, you set the source CMYK profile for the whole document and the destination CMYK. Then , you export the PDF with the due settings. If you choose 'convert to profile', all CMYK files will be converted to that destination profile.

There are two caveats (at least):

1. When exporting, you'd better not choose a different CMYK profile from the one you are using in InDesign. This is because if you do so, you'll end with unwanted rich-black texts (and that's not recommended).

2. The source profile of the InDesign documents and the destination profile for the document should be the same used / describing the images when you worked them in Photoshop.

You 'may' ignore all this if you are making fast proofs for different aims.

And if so, is there any quality issues of one method over the other?

Yes, in any case, manual conversion one-by-one file would be always best. At least in the most critical images, where the loss of tones could be bigger if done blindly.

Take into account that a PDF can have different profiles of the same type (in this case: CMYK) for images, pages and document. Best path would be convert / tag everything towards the same and only CMYK.

This is what I can recall now... But it's is monday

Gustavo