29 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2010 6:08 PM by the_wine_snob

Export to tape mt2 files

Level 1

Please advise how to export to tape in premiere pro 1.5.1 HDV content as it does not recognise the canon HV20.

But, will export to tapre in Premiere Elements 4 without a problem ? ie., after you Import the file into Elements 4 ?

Why cannot Adobe tech answer this problem. Incidentaly Sony Vegas Platinum9 Software does it perfectly and does recognise the canon HV 20 ?

Message was edited by: Bob Dix

• 1. Re: Export to tape mt2 files
          Harm Millaard Level 7

CS4 has no problems exporting to tape to a Z1.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Export to tape mt2 files
            Level 1

Well tahe is nice to know. But, what about mt 2 Eport to tape from premiere

pro 1.5.1 back to Canon HV 20. it does it by using Premiere pro elements 4

but, why ?

• 3. Re: Export to tape mt2 files
              Harm Millaard Level 7

It could be that in the very early days of HDV 1.5 was still a bit buggy. I mean it is a software version that is about 5 years old. That is why I said CS4 does what it is supposed to do.

• 4. Re: Export to tape mt2 files
                Level 1

The best response I have had . However, Adobe Techs still cannot give an answer? Why does Premiere Elements 4 work and not Premiere Pro 1.5.1.

The results of the Exort to tape from Premiere Elements 4 are of course perfect , I will not upgrade to CS4 untill the new processors are out and the Windows Operating system goes to the upgrade.

Thanks

• 5. Re: Export to tape mt2 files
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  Why does Premiere Elements 4 work and not Premiere Pro 1.5.1.

Bob,

This is only a guess, but PrE 4 came out after PrPro 2.0 did, and some time after PrPro 1.5.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Export to tape mt2 files
                    Level 1

Well you are right it appears that the mt2 file saved by Premiere Pro 1.5.1 cannot be Exported back to the Canon HV20, the camera LCD says "Check HDV/DV in" and the connection is ok because it Captures just fine.When I open the Premiere Pro 1.5.1 file in Premiere Elements 4 it Exports to Tape just fine.

I suppose I should leave it at that but, this has not always been the case and prior to reinstalling 1.5 and Downloading the HDV Upgrade it worked just fine. However, found one download was corrupt but, did another and it worked, but,  no longer. Ps. A trial copy of Sony Vegas Platinum 9 worked perfectly in export to tape so there was no problem with the Firewire connection.

I would now be using Sony Vegas except it has no Stablizer Effect which is sometimes very helpfull.

Thanks for your assistance and interest, I cannot say the same of the Adobe Technicians who appear to verge on the incompetent.

I will wait till Jan when the E5 chip may be in computers and upgrade with Microsofts 7 Operating System as we use a lot of mov files out of the CanonEOS 5D Mark II camera and it slows down the timeline utill the files are rendered. I must of course upgrade to CS4 or Vegas later to improve the workflow.in High definition.

• 7. Re: Export to tape mt2 files
                      Level 1

I see what you are saying, but, Premiere Pro 1.5.1 did Export to Tape in HDV  and I can do it now only using Premiere Elements 4, ,but, why ?.I am begining not to trust Adobe at all and their Technical back up. You cannot even download a trial version of CS4 because it does not incorporate the High Definition set up.

All our videocameras export to tape using Sony's Vegas on trial ???????????????? and they have High Definition for trial.

I may be changing when we upgrade our computer very soon................................

• 8. Re: Export to tape mt2 files
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Bob,

You cannot even download a trial version of CS4 because it does not incorporate the High Definition set up.

You are correct, in that the trail version contains nothing related to MPEG. The full version does - just not the trial. This is a licensing issue between Adobe and MainConcept. For each trial version, Adobe would have to pay a royalty to MainConcept. Obviously, then they would have to charge for the trial version.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Export to tape mt2 files
                          Level 1

Hi Harm,

Consider this procedure after editing in Premier Pro 1.5.1

HDV Export to Tape

Shows HDV Transcode Status

Rendering MPEG2 -TS

The computer acknowledges connection Of Canon HV 20 set to HDV/IN connected by Firewire

Tick activate recording device.

Save as say " Test08

The LCD of the canon HV20 says "Checkthe HDV/DV Input"

The Canon HV20 does not record but, the M2T file is saved in Premiere Pro

Will not open in Premiere Pro 1.5.1

But, can open in Premiere Elements, Says Indexing Test08 MT and Conffffffffforming Test o8 M2T

Tick Export to Tape

Renders and Record

Says " Recording Succesfull"

Automatically activates Canon HV20

Goes to recording

Then Succesfull

Click " on "Done"

Presto archived to tape.

Why does Premiere Pro 1.5.1 not do that ? When it used to ?

• 10. Re: Export to tape mt2 files
                            Harm Millaard Level 7

Bob,

I have no explanation and since I use CS4.1 I can no longer try with 1.5. If it used to work and does not work now something has changed on your system to cause that. Maybe related to the corrupt file you had that required reinstallation. Anyway you have a workaround that I would use untill you upgrade to CS4/5.

• 12. Re: Export to tape mt2 files
                              Level 1

Thanks, mate, I will do that, computers and software are so enigmatic.

Thanks,

Bob    from Down Under

• 13. Re: Export to tape mt2 files
                                Level 1

Is a CS 5 on the way ???????????????????

• 14. Re: Export to tape mt2 files
                                  Harm Millaard Level 7

It is a long trip, but somewhere in 2010 seems reasonable, either shown at NAB or IBC and availability in the months after that, would be my guess.

• 16. Re: Export to tape mt2 files
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Bob,

There is nothing wrong with having a full "toolbox." I have used CyberLink's PowerDirector to transfer some odd material to miniDV tape, where PrPro would not even touch that material. Do not know how well, or poorly the newer version of that NLE works with HD material. Now, I would not edit in PowerDirector on a bet. I find it clunky as heck, but as a tool, it's fine. Sony's Vegas can be used that way too, should one want to actually edit in PrPro. It's akin to using AfterEffects, where required, and then edit in PrPro. One can never have too many "tools."

Good luck,

Hunt

• 17. Re: Export to tape mt2 files
                                      Level 1

Hi Hunt,

Thanks for that , I agree, I'll checkout Cyberlink' Powere Director if

needed.

Regards,

Bob

• 18. Re: Export to tape mt2 files
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Bob,

The one caveat that I would offer is to watch what each NLE installs. PrPro does a good job of "hiding" their CODEC's, but some programs are not that careful, and some are downright sloppy, when they install.

On my workstation, I have PrPro, Magix (several audio and their MovieEdit Pro?), CyberLink PowerDirector and then the other audio editing programs. All play nice together, with no problems at all. Still, the potential does exist.

I picked up PrElements 4 to handle some consumer CODEC's and formats, and dang if it didn't kill everything in CS2 Production Studio. This was Adobe vs Adobe! Luckily, there was a KB Article and a simple Repair Install for the full CS2 Production Studio suite fixed everything. Still, "stuff" like this can happen. Go slowly, watch carefully and test thoroughly.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 19. Re: Export to tape mt2 files
                                          Level 1

Yeah,

You are right, Roxio Creative Suite did that 3 years ago. Premiere Elements

4 caused no problems in either SD and HDV and it Export both very well to

DVD and Tape. That Premiere Pro 1.5.1 Exports to DVD no problem, And to Std

Digital no problem but, it does not like Export to Tape using the upgrade

Cineform Intermediate Codec in High Definition  at 1920x1080 or 1440x1080

although it will render and save the m2t file which can easily be imported

into Elements 4 and Exported without saving the file ........

If you Export to Movie option you can alter the frame rate from say 30fps to

25fps to suit smooth running for individual High Definition Videocameras,

eg., Canon EOS 5 D mark II running at 30fps to say Canon HV 20 at 25fps. The

capture of the Canon HV2 at 25fps  back to the same video is no problem, the

resulting output is smooth.

Regards,

Bob

Ps The beauty of Premiere Pro 1.5.1 ( is 4 years old) in editing etc. is so

good I am reluctant to commit to another piece of NLE editing software, although

Premiere Elements 4 > is not bad.,at least it Exports to High Definition

Tape and Bluray if needed.

• 20. Re: Export to tape mt2 files
                                            Level 1

Hi Harm,

This goes back a while, when we first used a Canon EOS 5D Mark II last year and still do. As you know this unit records video  @30fps. I opened the mov . clips in Premiere Pro with a project setting of 30fps.When I attempted to Export to Tape from the timeline to a Canon HV20 (PAL) @25fps the Canon was not recognised by Premiere,eventhough I could Capture from the HV20 to Premiere.It is obvious now that the Project settings should have been 25 fps (PAL) As the Export to Tape now works perfectly back to the HV20, I have not tried to disprove my assumption.

When I Imported the mt2 file into Premier Elements 4 , it automatically chose a Project setting of 25fps and the Export to Tape worked perfectly.

Canon state  that " You can play back tapes recorded in HDV standard with a Professional Canon XL H1,XHG1 or XHA 1 (both 50i abd 25F mode) with the Canon HV20.

The assumption was I could use the high quality High Definition mov. clips edited in Premiere through the HV 20 with no loss of definition using the Cineform High Definition codec in Premiere. The completed product does indeed look very professional when viewed on a Sony Bravia 46" HD Monitor.Using the HDMI Input from the Canon HV20

Just for the record.

Regards,

Bob

• 21. Re: Export to tape mt2 files
                                              Level 1

Hi Bill,

Have a look at my upgrade to my previous comments, you may find them interesting.

Bob

• 22. Re: Export to tape mt2 files
                                                SFL46 Level 3

This may not particularly help, but...

I do HDV output to tape occasionally.  I have learned that this process is very dependent on the settings in the perferences in Premiere or the timeline propoerties.  The reason it may work in the other programs is the premiere and the adobe media encoder provide all sorts of options for exported file format.  Your failure may be due to a miss set option.  Notice that AME has sticky options--whatever was last set may still be active.  Its also important to note that there is more than one flavor of HDV---sometimes called HDV1 and HDV2.  I know the Canon XHA1 required HDV2.

For example, you will experience failures if you setting in the format parameters using custom rather than the presets  eg entering  1440 x 1080 60i as the custom size is not the same as selecting the appropraite HDV preset as the preset also sets the codex that the camera expects to have been used to generate the stream.

The fact that you can capture isn't all the relevant as premiere can capture to a timeline with the wrong format--it assumes that this is what you want.  However, the camcorder expects a very specific format transport stream.

• 23. Re: Export to tape mt2 files
                                                  Level 1

As above, this has been achieved.ie., The Canon HV 20 is now recognised by Premiere Pro for Export to Tape as well as Export to Movie

Thanks

• 24. Re: Export to tape mt2 files
                                                    Level 1

Hi Harm,

Can you help me regarding Editing Quicktime  H264 mov. files from a Canon EOS 5D mark II on the Premiere Pro timeline.To make it run I need to render and it takes a lot of time. Is there anyway around this ?

• 25. Re: Export to tape mt2 files
                                                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Bob,

It has been a long time and I did not scroll back to see your setup, but I assume when you are talking about MOV and Quicktime you are on MAC?

In the PC world I would have considered the first mild abuse and the second a serious, jeez, I had a word for it, but I forgot. Anyway, there is a reason I prefer to call it QuiRcktime on a PC.

What about the rendering times? Well, seriously, I don't know what you can do about it. Today I tried to help somebody else who had a MBP and had trouble with AVCHD material and it appears that the MBP is around 9 times slower than my system, which is PC based. In those cases one is out of luck and either needs to accept the render times and slow system response or invest in a new system.

In your specific case, please remind me what your setup is, but even then I doubt I can give you sensible help to reduce your rendering time. If you are on a PC, I can give you some hints that may help to improve your performance, but MAC is out of my league.

The example I referred to above was a 1 minute AVCHD timeline, encoded to H.264-BR @ 25 MBps CBR with 192 Kbps AC3 stereo multiplexed, which took slightly more than 1 minute on my system (nearly RT) and around 9 minutes on a MBP.

Please fill me in on the details and I can try to help you.

• 26. Re: Export to tape mt2 files
                                                        Level 1

Hi Harm,

I am of the old school, if nothing is broken don't fix it. ( which means I

probably should have upgraded long ago)but, we do not use multiple cameras.

Still using a Dell 8400 Dimension 3.2Ghz @800fsb 2Gb Ram & 2 Big hard

drives.Hyper-threading and Multi Processor PC with 128mb ATI Radeon X300 and

it has been working very well for 4-5 years using Premiere Pro 1.5.1

Cineform HD Upgrade, with Panasonic 3ccd video cameras and now Canon HV20 as

well as Canon EOS 5D Mark II. Where the Import of the (Quicktime  mov. files

from this camera when placed on the timeline will not run without rendering.

And if I am working with 30 minutes of 1920 x 1080p  clips it will take 4-5

hours to render, let alone transcode.

But, when it does it's thing, the export to Tape in HD is perfect, so no

problems there.

My son who is in the Web & Video business has run into the same problem with

his Final Cut Pro editing.( I believe they have put an upograde out now,

finally).

I am just trying to find a quicker way of doing things.We are basically

photographers so the 5D Mark II  is more than ideal for what we do even

better than the Hasselblads + video.

Thanks,

Bob.

AUSTRALIA

Mobile 0405728925

• 27. Re: Export to tape mt2 files
                                                          Harm Millaard Level 7

BAD NEWS!!! or was it GOOD NEWS!!!

Sorry Bob, the 5D material requires quite some muscle and to put it bluntly, your antique PC just does not cut it. Hence the long render times.

The previously mentioned MBP was 9 times slower than my machine, and my guess is that yours is around 30+ times slower than mine. Now that is not a disaster if you have all the time in the world, but sometimes that is not the case.

It is time to seriously consider investing in a new computer system (tell your wife/CFO I told you so.) . There are numerous articles in the hardware forum about building a new PC, what to do and what to avoid, that may be helpful.

• 28. Re: Export to tape mt2 files
                                                            Level 1

Ah "She who must be obeyed" knows this , and it will happen.

Thanks,

Bob

• 29. Re: Export to tape mt2 files
                                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Bob,

Sometimes, one just has to go before the Chairwoman of the Board, and offer up a budgetary proposal - hopefully for approval. I do it all the time...

Good luck,

Hunt