5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2009 10:53 AM by C. Agruss (Adobe)

Beta 2 install experience

BorekB Level 1

Hi, I've just downlaoded and installed Flash Builder beta 2 and didn't like the fact that browser plugins are now an automatic step in the installation process. What happened to me is that I coulnd't proceed with the installation process because the applet complained that there were browser windows opened. They were not - neither firefox.exe nor iexplore.exe processes were in the task manager. However, I understand these things happen - some process might be hanging somewhere and it may be Windows' problem instead of FB's. Still, I didn't like the fact that I had to reboot my system just to install Flash Builder when I already had debug versions of Flash Player installed.

Just make the debug plugins optional as they were with FB3 so that the advanced users can install FB without them if they know what they're doing. Other than that, the install experience was smooth. Looking forward to playing with the latest and greatest FB ever!

Thanks,

Borek

• 1. Re: Beta 2 install experience
          C. Agruss (Adobe) Level 3

Thanks for the recommendation about the Debug Player, Borek.

We'll discuss that, to see if we can see our way clear to make that optional again.

-Chris

• 2. Re: Beta 2 install experience
            David_F57 Level 5

Rather than be optional it should just be an automated update, there is no need to install the plugins unless required, but as an option it allows the install to be by passed which then means the possibility of erroneous behavior from old versions of the plugins especially when debugging.

• 3. Re: Beta 2 install experience

My understanding is that the bundled Player installers are already smart enough not to re-install the Player if the same debug version (or higher) is already installed. I'll double-check with the Player installer folks, to make sure this assumption is correct, but I'm pretty sure they already work that way now.

Assuming this is correct, then opting out would either mean:

1) that you want to skip upgrading an older version of the player to the bundled version, or

2) that you want to avoid switching from the Release version to the Debug version.

One reason we made this non-optional is because it's pretty important to have the minimum required Debug Player version installed, in order to debug effectively with Flash Builder.

There were also other factors driving the decision to require quitting all browsers during installation. For example, the Flash Builder installer writes entries to the Player trust files, designating the default Flash Builder workspace paths as trusted locations. For these entries to work reliably on first launch, all browsers need to be closed while writing to the trust files.

I do understand the concern around this though - it's a pain to have to quit all browsers during installation, especially if you have a useful session in progress, and when you know that your debug player is already current. I'll discuss this with the team, to see if we can come up with a reasonable compromise.

-Chris

• 4. Re: Beta 2 install experience
                BorekB Level 1

Thanks for the replies guys. Maybe it would be helpful if the installation applet shared more information about what is going on, i.e., when it says the browser is still open while I can't see any instances running in the taskbar or in the process list, it would be helpful if it actually showed which browser is running or which process needs to be shut down in order to proceed. The experience I got was that a modal dialog popped up with a "Cancel and Exit" and "OK" buttons. When I pressed OK, the modal dialoged popped up again, and then again and again so I had to eventually click Cancel and Exit. This was not a very good experience.

Another helpful addition could be if the installation applet showed which version of the debug player I have already installed and which version is required (recommended) for this version of Flash Builder. If those versions matched, there would be a green checkmark and information that the plugins installation is not necessary, while in the other case, the applet would let me choose which plugin to install. As it happens, I sometimes use the config where IE has the debug version while Firefox/the rest have the release version - in the Flash Builder settings, I just change my default browser from "system default" (FF in my case) to IE. So there are cases where I don't want the installation process to install both types of plugins. I would appreciate if I could pick which one to install or possibly skip the step entirely if I really know what I'm doing.

Thanks,

Borek

• 5. Re: Beta 2 install experience

Good points all around.

We'll revisit this, and come up with a more transparent approach.

-Chris