7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2009 7:41 AM by Wade_Zimmerman

Saving PDF files from illustrator

Robert Farfort

Hi

Can anybody help we are having an issue with illustrator cs3 and cs4 when saving pdf files

as you can see this is the file in illustrator and the images butt togeather with a black line down the middle when we then save the pdf and we have tried different options it moves the image, the images are placed eps images. This is not file specific as we have tried other files/images.

Can anybody help

Screen shot 2009-10-05 at 12.11.32.png

Screen shot 2009-10-05 at 12.14.15.png

• 1. Re: Saving PDF files from illustrator
          Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Are the placed eps files of the same profile as that of the document?

Have you tried resaving the files as .psd files and then placing them.

Does the stroke happen to have a fill of white?

Did you try to outline the stroke?

It really is not necessary to use eps you can also use tiffs in CS 4 they can be layered or transparent tiffs.

• 2. Re: Saving PDF files from illustrator
            Robert Farfort Level 1

Hi

Thanks for your quick response ref your answers, yes they are all of the same profile, we have not tried saving them as .psd files as we tend to use eps from photoshop so that the placed files are not to large within illustrator. We also tried testing removing the stroke and even with this removed the image still moves.

hope you can help

• 3. Re: Saving PDF files from illustrator
              Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Are the images trimmed in photoshop of clipped Illustrator.

Are the eps files linked or embedded?

Is it possible to post the file and the eps some where so they can be 

downloaded?

• 4. Re: Saving PDF files from illustrator
                Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

I tried this with eps files from Photoshop and but two files up against one another and placed a stroke path down the butt line
                and without the stroke an cannot get it to move or displace so there must be something about the file or the way you are saving to pdf that you are doing differently than i am doing. here see for yourself. (without seeing the file it would be difficult to see a difference but i think we would all like to be aware of what could cause this problem.

Screen shot 2009-10-05 at 8.39.41 AM.png

Screen shot 2009-10-05 at 8.43.04 AM.png

• 5. Re: Saving PDF files from illustrator
                  Robert Farfort Level 1

Hi

The Images are clipped inside illustrator and they are linked eps files, we have just test if you embed the same file then export a pdf then this does not move the image. So it appears to be when using a linked file issue. We would prefer not to embed as this makes the illustrator file large.

Try at your end link 2 different images into illustrator (not embeded) draw a box over each image ours had a black key line which disapears once you place in side a clipping mask then zoom as far in as pos and aligh the 2 separate clipping boxes so that they are perfectly butted togeather, then save as a pdf using pdf/x1a then zoom in within acrobat and what we see is that one of the images has moved

• 6. Re: Saving PDF files from illustrator
                    Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

I will give it a try and see what happens but I think it has something 

to do with the clip taking place in Illustrator with a link file.

I will let you know and this might be a known issue.

• 7. Re: Saving PDF files from illustrator
                      Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Yes I think I understand the problem and I believe it is expected behavior and I will explain.

You must convert the images to cmyk in photoshop first before placing them in Illustrator or convert them after but since they are linked the conversion has to take place in photoshop by using the link panel to edit the original.

Now it should work as expected but I did this without the using a black key line on the rectangle I used for my clipping so once you have the rectangles position if you still find you have this problem then go bak and redo the clipping mask without the black stroke.

This is my result in Acrobat with the images converted to cmyk so I am positive you stated with RGB and did not convert before placing.

As you can at 6400% magnification it is fine. This is the top edge of the two butted images when saved as pdf after converting the files to cmyk in Photoshop. PDX 1a supports CMYK.

Screen shot 2009-10-05 at 10.30.43 AM.png

This is what it looks like when using the inked files when they are rgb

Screen shot 2009-10-05 at 10.10.38 AM.png