9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2009 9:27 AM by ANDREW JANSEN

PE 7 (or 8!) and Canon HF10 Full HD1080 25p

ANDREW JANSEN Level 1

I want to preserve the quality of the 1080p 25FPS progressive AVCHD that comes out of my HF10.

My problem with PE7, and it seems also with the PE8 trial version, is that

1. the highest quality project setting Full AVCHD is only 25i (interlaced) - not progressive - and

2. on export back to my PC as it seems only to offer me 1440 (not 1920).

So I've used the very basic Pixela program that came with my HF10, to do a basic slice (to get rid of the rubbish footage) because that at least allows me to export as 1920x1080. The bit rate appears identical to the original pre-sliced AVCHD files.

I only use PE7 to create movie projects for export therefore. I was looking forward to PE8, but it seems PE8 has not come out supporting 1080p 25FPS export either.  I seem to feel the need to jump ship.

Am I missing a trick with PE8, or is it that Adobe won't deliver 1080p 25FPS progressive AVCHD export to hard disk on PE8,  because PE8 is a consumer entry level program, and if I could afford £700 for my Hf10 I can affort £700 for Premiere Pro?

Why is it hard to find detailed documentation that says what a program accepts for input, and what it can deliver to as output?

Why should I secure lovely full HD footage, only to see my software degrade it?

• 1. Re: PE 7 (or 8!) and Canon HF10 Full HD1080 25p
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Or, more rhetorically, why pay $600-800 for a camcorder and try to cut the video on a $75 piece of software?

The features you are looking for are, I believe, available in the full version of Premiere Pro CS4.

As for version 8, you are correct. I does indeed only with with interlaced versions of AVCHD video.

• 2. Re: PE 7 (or 8!) and Canon HF10 Full HD1080 25p
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Andrew and SG

I also have often told users that Premiere Elements can import 1080p, but that there is no export for it. But, in looking at this for Andrew, I wondered. Show me the error of my ways if I am stretching the features of Premiere Elements 7 and 8.

The project preset (new project dialog) is just a template from which to edit. For that matter, you could uncheck Edit Menu/Preferences/General "Default Scale to Frame Size". And, that project preset (new project dialog) does not bind you to an export choice. But what is stopping you from importing your 1080p and exporting 1080p (Full 1920 x 1080 25 progressive frames per second) when:

a. Open Premiere Elements 7 or 8 and set project preset at PAL/AVCHD/Full HD 1080i25.

b. Edit your video on the Timeline

c. Go to Share/Personal Computer/Windows Media and use the HD 720p export preset there.

d. Under the Advance Button: set the frame size to 1920 x 1080 and the frame rate at 25 frames per second. Leave the "interlaced" option unchecked.

Why should that not encode at 1920 x 1080 25 progressive field per second?

In either Premiere Elements 7 or 8, you cannot do this under the Share/Personal Computer/MPEG with the HD 720p preset. Under that Advance button, the program will not let you set 1920 x 1080.

In the past I know you can import 1080p into Premiere Elements 7 for editing, but I always considered that you could not export as 1080p. But now on second look....

Looking forward to your thoughts.

ATR

• 3. Re: PE 7 (or 8!) and Canon HF10 Full HD1080 25p
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Add On To Above Suggested Steps

In that Windows Media 720p Advance Settings, make sure you have set for Pixel Aspect Ratio = Square Pixels and adjust bitrate if necessary.

ATR

• 4. Re: PE 7 (or 8!) and Canon HF10 Full HD1080 25p
                ANDREW JANSEN Level 1

Many thanks ATR, I'll give that a go tonight.

It would seem strange that Adobe would hide the ability to export full 1080p, rather than make a big deal of it.  Rather I suspect that Adobe really want me to upgrade to the big ticket Premier Pro, as Steve suggested.

It is not that great that I have to rely on peer to peer sources to work out whether I can export what I imported - i.e. 1080p at 25fps. Why is that?

If you are right ATR, fantastic, and thanks.

But if Steve is, it seems to me I have to ask, what kind of outfit would promise to take your high quality video, but not tell you from the documentation (I really did look hard) that they will turn it into something of lower quality. 

I attempted something like this on Sunday, but botched it.

I'll give my report.

Andrew

• 5. Re: PE 7 (or 8!) and Canon HF10 Full HD1080 25p
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Well, saying that it takes it to "lower quality" is rather subjective, since we're not talking about degrading quality so much as your forcing the program to take a file it can't use and convert it into something it can use. It simply isn't right the tool for the job.

• 6. Re: PE 7 (or 8!) and Canon HF10 Full HD1080 25p
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Andrew Jansen

I will be looking forward to your report.

For now, I have a correction which is definitely a typing error since I know better.....

When I said "Why should that not encode at 1920 x 1080 25 progressive fields per second..." That should have been "....progressive frames per second.." Sorry about that. But, that was just a descriptive typing blunder. The idea remains unchanged.

ATR

• 7. Re: PE 7 (or 8!) and Canon HF10 Full HD1080 25p
                      ANDREW JANSEN Level 1

I've achieved something using the method you proposed, with a short movie, and encountered no resistance. The output looked good.

and I am going to try some more, but I am now away for 3 days, so forgive, it will be the weekend before I can really try it out on a movie project properly.

• 8. Re: PE 7 (or 8!) and Canon HF10 Full HD1080 25p
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Andrew Jansen

Thank you for the follow up.

I will be watching for your results. Your report will of be interest especially for those who have been and are presenting questions about exporting 1080p from Premiere Elements 7 or 8.

Thank you for trying it.

ATR

• 9. Re: PE 7 (or 8!) and Canon HF10 Full HD1080 25p
                          ANDREW JANSEN Level 1

After a bit of travel, and a few more experiments on my return, I am back again, and can report.

Yes it seems I can successfully export non-interlaced 1920-1080 using the instructions you set me, and so my outputs are once again to my liking. It's all very manual though, and to avoid crashes (C++ error) I also have to manually create the project export setting.

What gets me is why is Adobe apparently hiding the capability to export as 1920x1080?  It seems either amateurish, or a trap.

Either way,  I am still going to jump from this program, and possibly up to Premier Pro - why, because PE8 does not allow me to import my AVCHD files from my HF10 clip them down and then export lossely as AVCHD. Some lower level programs apparently do.

PE7 (and PE8) supports AVCHD, but it sure doesn't retain it. It should be said that PE8 eats AVCHD. No, I don't want my software telling me I can't have my AVCHD after it has gobbled it. My final grip was mentioned back up this chain, it is hard to find the evidence of what the export capabilities are from the literature on PE8. It is as if it is hidden.

I still have my native AVCHD stiing on my machine all clipped up, because Canon provided some very basic software with the camera that allowed me to clip the rubbish out and re-export it as .m2ts 1080p files (timecodes lost and all!).

I still use PE8 to create outputs to disc, but I dare not let PE8 process my inputs into clipped up (rubbish-removed) raw footage for future movie projects. So I am compromised.

I may as well face it, PE will always disappoint me because I am looking for more than it aims to do -  even if not more than it claims to do.

I stand to be corrected.