4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2009 11:24 AM by radek.r

send form. data from standalone pdf to LC Forms

radek.r Level 1

Hello,

I am new in Adobe LC ES platform and would like to ask for advice with following.

I need to provide user with a standalone pdf form, user should then be able to fill the form and send it to LiveCycle Forms server.

I originally thought that easiest way to implement it is via SOAP, but I have not been able to make some working HelloWorld example. I have red some articles that suggests some workarounds (pdf form -> webserver -> SOAP to LC server; or to use coldFusion).

Is there any tutorial or example which would describe posting of form to LiveCycle forms, when not using LC Workspace (not over mail or watched folders) ? Or what way would you suggest to deal with this ?

Do I need reader-enable form to make SOAP call to store form data by Reader?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: send form. data from standalone pdf to LC Forms
          pguerett Level 6

To make a soap call from Reader you will have to Reader Extend the form (using LiveCycle Server only). You can post the data to a servlet without Reader Extended and the servlet can interact with the Forms API to validate the data. I believe there is a sample on the DevNet site (look for articles written by Mike Hodgson). I am on a phone now so I do not have access to that content.

Paul

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: send form. data from standalone pdf to LC Forms
            radek.r Level 1

Thanks Paul,

I am going to search DevNet. I recently found article (http://livecycleapps.wordpress.com/2009/01/16/submitting-pdf-form-data-over-the-internet-v ia-http/) which mentiones :

If you are an Adobe LiveCycle Forms customer you can use the FormsService > processFormSubmission activity to process submitted data.

That would be nice way, I have no strong experience with server side java, so I would prefer something without writting servlets. Do You have any experience with this method ?

• 3. Re: send form. data from standalone pdf to LC Forms
              pguerett Level 6

I am not a programmer but you will need to use  some sort of server side program to make that call. It can be exposed through SOAP as well.

Paul

• 4. Re: send form. data from standalone pdf to LC Forms
                radek.r Level 1

It looks, that using web services may be after all most suitable for task needs.

Perhaps last problem I have is to properly bind pdf form  to a process variable.

I need to send pdf form to some livecycle process, which would store form entries to database. I am trying it in this way:

- as a process start poin is defined [Set Value] service with execute action.

- there is defined input, process, required variable "form" of type xfaForm with associated template-url pointing to mentioned .pdf form

- in [Set Value] service it is only asserted some parts of "form" variable to another process variables

tests:

If I run process via wokbench (right-click on swim line + ivoke process), it returns job-id and values are stored in db (internal adobe table created for this process). But if I send (soaps) directly the pdf form and sniff the response packet, there is :

<faultstring>

The input BLOB object should have attachmentID, remoteURL, or binaryData field specified.

</faultstring>

... and nothing is stored to db.

Am I doing wrong mapping (wrong variable type? wrong assertion? ) or is this way bad completely.

I have searched some article about the process side of WS binding, but haven't found nothing for LC 8.2.

Thanks for advice.