12 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2008 2:01 AM by Newsgroup_User

Stupid question for any takers?

nelly@egdesign
      Hello, thanks in advance - What in blazers is the yellow tags that pop up in explorer when you hover over a link or something called and how in blazers do you ad them in dreamweaver to buttons etc?
      CHEERS!
        • 1. Re: Stupid question for any takers?
          Level 7
          Well it's a bit complicated really thanks to IE's constant bumbling. What
          you are probably seeing in IE is the alt tag applied to an image that is a
          link. Although it's not supposed to work that way. IE gets it wrong. Here's
          how it is supposed to work (the Standard). Say you have an image that is a
          link. You add the alt tag to display a description of the image if the image
          itself is not viewable. Then you add the Title attribute so a mouse over
          will display info about the link. In IE if there is no Title then the alt
          text displays instead. If you want to have the alt tag but not have it
          display on mouseover in IE you can suppress it be making the Title attribute
          empty (Title=""). Here is a code snippet for a link (no image) showing the
          application of the Title attribute.

<a href="../website_design.htm" title="Sample website designs for Murrieta &
          Temecula area businesses">Portfolio</a>

Aren't you glad you asked?

--

Walt

"nelicans" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:g5ju5h$gs1$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Hello, thanks in advance - What in blazers is the yellow tags that pop up
          > in
          > explorer when you hover over a link or something called and how in blazers
          > do
          > you ad them in dreamweaver to buttons etc?
          > CHEERS!
          >

• 2. Re: Stupid question for any takers?
            nelly@egdesign Level 1
            Thanks so much for the detailed response! I basically made some flash icons for buttons and in the event that someone didnt know what the icon meant, i thought if they hovered over it then a description would pop up - maybe I'm better off having faith that the nation will understand my icons??? Or making a pop up description IN FLASH!
            • 3. Re: Stupid question for any takers?
              Level 7
              > you are probably seeing in IE is the alt tag applied to an image

Alt attribute, please.

--
              Murray --- ICQ 71997575
              Adobe Community Expert
              (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
              ==================
              http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
              http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
              ==================

"Walt F. Schaefer" <walt@waltswebworx.com> wrote in message
              news:g5k0eq$iup$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > Well it's a bit complicated really thanks to IE's constant bumbling. What
              > you are probably seeing in IE is the alt tag applied to an image that is a
              > link. Although it's not supposed to work that way. IE gets it wrong.
              > Here's how it is supposed to work (the Standard). Say you have an image
              > that is a link. You add the alt tag to display a description of the image
              > if the image itself is not viewable. Then you add the Title attribute so a
              > mouse over will display info about the link. In IE if there is no Title
              > then the alt text displays instead. If you want to have the alt tag but
              > not have it display on mouseover in IE you can suppress it be making the
              > Title attribute empty (Title=""). Here is a code snippet for a link (no
              > image) showing the application of the Title attribute.
              >
              > <a href="../website_design.htm" title="Sample website designs for Murrieta
              > & Temecula area businesses">Portfolio</a>
              >
              > Aren't you glad you asked?
              >
              > --
              >
              > Walt
              >
              >
              > "nelicans" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
              > news:g5ju5h$gs1$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              >> Hello, thanks in advance - What in blazers is the yellow tags that pop up
              >> in
              >> explorer when you hover over a link or something called and how in
              >> blazers do
              >> you ad them in dreamweaver to buttons etc?
              >> CHEERS!
              >>
              >
              >

• 4. Re: Stupid question for any takers?
                Level 7
                If you want to use Flash for navigation, consider this -

1. Some people don't have Flash installed - what do they do?
                2. Search engines don't parse Flash links - your site will not be spidered
                3. Screen assistive devices don't parse Flash links - what will those users
                do?
                4. DW cannot maintain links within a Flash movie, so if you move or rename
                a linked file, your navigation will break - what will you do?

It's usually a very bad idea for these reasons...

Just don't do it.

--
                Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                Adobe Community Expert
                ==================
                ==================

"nelicans" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                news:g5k6ig$oqg$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > Thanks so much for the detailed response! I basically made some flash
                > icons for
                > buttons and in the event that someone didnt know what the icon meant, i
                > thought
                > if they hovered over it then a description would pop up - maybe I'm better
                > off
                > having faith that the nation will understand my icons??? Or making a pop
                > up
                > description IN FLASH!
                >

• 5. Re: Stupid question for any takers?
                  Level 7
                  Murray *ACE* wrote:
                  > If you want to use Flash for navigation, consider this -
                  >
                  > 1. Some people don't have Flash installed - what do they do?

What percent?

> 2. Search engines don't parse Flash links - your site will not be spidered

Put html links in a <noscript> tag or some other container positioned
                  offscreen?

> 3. Screen assistive devices don't parse Flash links - what will those
                  > users
                  > do?

Too smaller demographic to worry about.

> 4. DW cannot maintain links within a Flash movie, so if you move or rename
                  > a linked file, your navigation will break - what will you do?

Build the whole site using Flash? :)

• 6. Re: Stupid question for any takers?
                    Level 7
                    Thanks, I was wondering about that as I wrote. I've always seen the alt
                    referred to as a tag but given the syntax it seemed to be the same as the
                    Title. So alt attribute it is. :-)

--

Walt

"Murray *ACE*" <forums@HAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote in message
                    news:g5kn2t$dmp$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    >> you are probably seeing in IE is the alt tag applied to an image
                    >
                    > Alt attribute, please.
                    >
                    > --
                    > Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                    > Adobe Community Expert
                    > (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                    > ==================
                    > http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                    > http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                    > ==================
                    >
                    >
                    > "Walt F. Schaefer" <walt@waltswebworx.com> wrote in message
                    > news:g5k0eq$iup$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    >> Well it's a bit complicated really thanks to IE's constant bumbling. What
                    >> you are probably seeing in IE is the alt tag applied to an image that is
                    >> a link. Although it's not supposed to work that way. IE gets it wrong.
                    >> Here's how it is supposed to work (the Standard). Say you have an image
                    >> that is a link. You add the alt tag to display a description of the image
                    >> if the image itself is not viewable. Then you add the Title attribute so
                    >> a mouse over will display info about the link. In IE if there is no Title
                    >> then the alt text displays instead. If you want to have the alt tag but
                    >> not have it display on mouseover in IE you can suppress it be making the
                    >> Title attribute empty (Title=""). Here is a code snippet for a link (no
                    >> image) showing the application of the Title attribute.
                    >>
                    >> <a href="../website_design.htm" title="Sample website designs for
                    >> Murrieta & Temecula area businesses">Portfolio</a>
                    >>
                    >> Aren't you glad you asked?
                    >>
                    >> --
                    >>
                    >> Walt
                    >>
                    >>
                    >> "nelicans" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                    >> news:g5ju5h$gs1$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    >>> Hello, thanks in advance - What in blazers is the yellow tags that pop
                    >>> up in
                    >>> explorer when you hover over a link or something called and how in
                    >>> blazers do
                    >>> you ad them in dreamweaver to buttons etc?
                    >>> CHEERS!
                    >>>
                    >>
                    >>
                    >

• 7. Re: Stupid question for any takers?
                      Level 7
                      You sure don't always see it that way here.... 8)

--
                      Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                      Adobe Community Expert
                      ==================
                      ==================

"Walt F. Schaefer" <walt@waltswebworx.com> wrote in message
                      news:g5kufd$lha$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                      > Thanks, I was wondering about that as I wrote. I've always seen the alt
                      > referred to as a tag but given the syntax it seemed to be the same as the
                      > Title. So alt attribute it is. :-)
                      >
                      > --
                      >
                      > Walt
                      >
                      >
                      > "Murray *ACE*" <forums@HAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote in message
                      > news:g5kn2t$dmp$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                      >>> you are probably seeing in IE is the alt tag applied to an image
                      >>
                      >> Alt attribute, please.
                      >>
                      >> --
                      >> Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                      >> Adobe Community Expert
                      >> (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                      >> ==================
                      >> http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                      >> http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                      >> ==================
                      >>
                      >>
                      >> "Walt F. Schaefer" <walt@waltswebworx.com> wrote in message
                      >> news:g5k0eq$iup$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                      >>> Well it's a bit complicated really thanks to IE's constant bumbling.
                      >>> What you are probably seeing in IE is the alt tag applied to an image
                      >>> that is a link. Although it's not supposed to work that way. IE gets it
                      >>> wrong. Here's how it is supposed to work (the Standard). Say you have an
                      >>> image that is a link. You add the alt tag to display a description of
                      >>> the image if the image itself is not viewable. Then you add the Title
                      >>> attribute so a mouse over will display info about the link. In IE if
                      >>> there is no Title then the alt text displays instead. If you want to
                      >>> have the alt tag but not have it display on mouseover in IE you can
                      >>> suppress it be making the Title attribute empty (Title=""). Here is a
                      >>> code snippet for a link (no image) showing the application of the Title
                      >>> attribute.
                      >>>
                      >>> <a href="../website_design.htm" title="Sample website designs for
                      >>> Murrieta & Temecula area businesses">Portfolio</a>
                      >>>
                      >>> Aren't you glad you asked?
                      >>>
                      >>> --
                      >>>
                      >>> Walt
                      >>>
                      >>>
                      >>> "nelicans" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                      >>> news:g5ju5h$gs1$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                      >>>> Hello, thanks in advance - What in blazers is the yellow tags that pop
                      >>>> up in
                      >>>> explorer when you hover over a link or something called and how in
                      >>>> blazers do
                      >>>> you ad them in dreamweaver to buttons etc?
                      >>>> CHEERS!
                      >>>>
                      >>>
                      >>>
                      >>
                      >
                      >

• 8. Re: Stupid question for any takers?
                        Doreen L.
                        According to Adobe, Flash is installed on more than 98 percent of Internet-connected computers and as of July 1st, is providing optimized Adobe® Flash® Player technology to Google and Yahoo! to enhance search engine indexing of the Flash file format (SWF) and uncover information that is currently undiscoverable by search engines.
                        • 9. Re: Stupid question for any takers?
                          Level 7
                          > According to Adobe, Flash is installed on more than 98 percent of
                          > Internet-connected computers

And, of course, just because Adobe owns Flash there is no reason to be at
                          all skeptical about that stat.

--

Walt

"Doreen L." <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                          news:g5l114$o6c$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                          > Internet-connected computers and as of July 1st, is providing optimized
                          > Adobe®
                          > Flash® Player technology to Google and Yahoo! to enhance search engine
                          > indexing
                          > of the Flash file format (SWF) and uncover information that is currently
                          > undiscoverable by search engines.
                          >

• 10. Re: Stupid question for any takers?
                            Level 7
                            What is that installation number for your target demographic? Do you know?
                            Most people don't. It is absolutely guaranteed that someone without Flash
                            installed will not be able to use a Flash navigation element. The decision
                            to use them, thereby rendering your site inaccessable to these people, is up
                            to you.

--
                            Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                            Adobe Community Expert
                            ==================
                            ==================

"Doreen L." <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                            news:g5l114$o6c$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                            > Internet-connected computers and as of July 1st, is providing optimized
                            > Adobe®
                            > Flash® Player technology to Google and Yahoo! to enhance search engine
                            > indexing
                            >

• 11. Re: Stupid question for any takers?
                              Level 7
                              Doreen L. wrote:
                              > Internet-connected computers and as of July 1st, is providing optimized Adobe®
                              > Flash® Player technology to Google and Yahoo! to enhance search engine indexing
                              >

I and I am sure 1000s of others like me on intranets at work cannot view
                              the latest version of Flash and do not have permission to execute
                              downloaded files. If your Flash requires later than version 7 of the
                              player, I will not see it. And it's not likely I'll remember whatever I
                              wanted to see on your site long enough to go looking for it when I go home.

Just a thought...

(The IT dept. is supposedly going to upgrade is in another couple of
                              months. It seems to happen about every 2 years)
                              --
                              Bonnie
                              • 12. Re: Stupid question for any takers?
                                Level 7
                                .oO(Osgood)

>Murray *ACE* wrote:
                                >> If you want to use Flash for navigation, consider this -
                                >>
                                >> 1. Some people don't have Flash installed - what do they do?
                                >
                                >What percent?

Enough. Flash is not available for all platforms. HTML is. Additionally
                                there are various reasons to disable Flash (security, performance), even
                                if it's installed.

Of course it also depends on the site and its intended audience. On one
                                of my sites it looks like this (from the beginning of 2008 until now):

JavaScript disabled: 4.4%

And from the remaining 95.6%:

Support for Java: 72%
                                Support for Flash: 55%
                                Support for PDF: 52%

So much for the Adobe "statistics".

>> 2. Search engines don't parse Flash links - your site will not be spidered
                                >
                                >Put html links in a <noscript> tag or some other container positioned
                                >offscreen?

Or just do it right and userfriendly without Flash.

>> 3. Screen assistive devices don't parse Flash links - what will those
                                >> users
                                >> do?
                                >
                                >Too smaller demographic to worry about.

2% can make 20% of the profit.

>> 4. DW cannot maintain links within a Flash movie, so if you move or rename
                                >> a linked file, your navigation will break - what will you do?
                                >
                                >
                                >Build the whole site using Flash? :)

Sure, to make the site even more unusable and inaccessible. I really
                                like it if competitors kill themselves.

Micha