11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2009 3:13 PM by quality11

Where's FW.exe on my HD?

quality11 Level 1

When I try to open a file with FW by going to File > Open With, FW is not presented as an option.  So, I choose Browse to find the .exe. file by going to Program Files > Adobe, but I can't find it...my whole Adobe CS4 bundle is configured in a weird way where I can't decipher the different programs.  I searched in the folders for FW, but can't find it anywhere.  Here's a screenshot of the folder structure of my CS4.  I use Windows Vista.

adobe.jpg

Maybe it's somewhere else on my computer?

Thanks much in advance.

• 1. Re: Where's FW.exe on my HD?
          heathrowe Most Valuable Participant

You posted a capture of your Ps install location?

Step back a folder and you should see Adobe Fireworks CS# folder

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Fireworks CS4

In there is the Fireworks.exe

h

• 2. Re: Where's FW.exe on my HD?
            quality11 Level 1

Nope.  Tried that too.  Here's a screenshot:

adobe.jpg

• 3. Re: Where's FW.exe on my HD?

Click the Adobe Folder - post screen shot of it - the other two don't help?

What Suite do you have installed? Are you sure you selected Fw when installed?

h

• 4. Re: Where's FW.exe on my HD?
                quality11 Level 1

Not sure what you mean by post screenshot.

I click on the Adobe folder and get the first screenshot I uploaded.

I have the Web Suite installed.

• 5. Re: Where's FW.exe on my HD?

Your first screen capture shows when you clicked Adobe Photoshop CS4? Not the Adobe folder.

Click JUST Adobe and capture that to post. You should see a list of Adobe app from the Suite, alongside of the Adobe Photoshop CS4.

H

• 6. Re: Where's FW.exe on my HD?
                    pixlor Level 4

The folder structure should be like this (with other stuff, naturally):

• Program Files
                      • Adobe
                        • Adobe Fireworks
                        • Adobe Photoshop

Your first screen capture is of your Adobe Photoshop folder. Fireworks won't be inside that one, it's next to it. Then, you backed up two folders to the Program Files folder. Fireworks won't be at that top level. You need to look in your Adobe folder. The Adobe folder will have a folder for each program in your suite, plus a few other things.

Here's how my system looks (CS3 Web Premium Suite on Vista). First, the Program Files folder showing the Adobe folder (you can also click the little triangles in the Folders panel on the left and expand the folder trees, as I have done):

adobe1.png

Next, the Adobe folder, and I've looped the Fireworks and Photoshop folders:

adobe2.png

Finally, the Fireworks folder:

adobe3.png

• 7. Re: Where's FW.exe on my HD?
                      quality11 Level 1

Sooooooooooooo weird....this is the problem.  There are 2 Program Files folders.  One called Program Files and another called Program Files (x86).  Have you ever seen this before?  Each has an Adobe folder along with other  programs (have a folder in each).  All the Adobe programs are in the Program Files (x86) Adobe folder.  Is this a good thing?  Having 2 folders?

• 8. Re: Where's FW.exe on my HD?
                        pixlor Level 4

Ohhh! You have a 64 bit computer! Yeah. it's fine. It's just a way of distinguishing the 32-bit programs from the true 64-bit ones. The "x86" is left over from the early 32-bit processors. Remember the old 286, 386, and 486 nomenclature, before Intel went to "Pentium?"

"Program Files" is a Windows default name that most installers respect when they install their programs. If an installer has the Custom Install option, you can put the program in any folder you want. The important thing is that the installer writes the location of the program to the Windows registry so that the operating system can find it when it wants it. Windows doesn't look around in "Program Files" It looks in the regisrty to find out exactly where to go. What you do not want to do is rename or move folders that have programs in them.

It would seem, then, that if you install a 32-bit program on a 64-bit machine, your 64-bit OS has a fussier default. But it still doesn't matter.

• 9. Re: Where's FW.exe on my HD?
                          quality11 Level 1

No :-).  So the x86 is the 32 bit?

"It would seem, then, that if you install a 32-bit program on a 64-bit machine, your 64-bit OS has a fussier default. But it still doesn't matter."

Not sure what you mean....are you saying mine does have a fussier default?  The reason I ask is that this machine has been quirky since I got it and wondering if it's doing something else funky.  One of the things it does is when it goes to sleep, it takes at least 45 seconds to move the mouse and sometimes longer to start typing.  Have you ever heard of that?

• 10. Re: Where's FW.exe on my HD?
                            pixlor Level 4

Yes, x86 means 32-bit. You'd think everyone would get over this legacy nomenclature and say "32-bit" by now, wouldn't you.

I mean that your OS, being 64-bit, does distinguish between 64-bit and 32-bit programs by default. However, you could have done a custom install and put all your programs into a folder named "Fred" if you wanted. Exactly where you put your programs is not important. That the correct location is recorded in the registry is important.

Sleep mode depends on the hardware. I had an ASUS motherboard to start and when I tried sleep mode, I couldn't get my computer (32-bit Vista) to wake up at all. I had to turn off the power and reboot. That motherboard died and I have an Intel board now, but I'm not about to try using sleep mode again!

• 11. Re: Where's FW.exe on my HD?
                              quality11 Level 1

Thanks!

Didn't realize it was about the MB.  I have an AMD with  Vista Home Premium.