8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2009 7:55 PM by PBoehme

Next ACR update?

323Photografix

Does anyone in the know have info on the ETA of the next Camera Raw update... which will hopefully fully support the new Canon 7D?

• 1. Re: Next ACR update?
          MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee

Camera Raw and Lightroom are updated roughly 4 times per year, about once every 13 weeks. The last Camera Raw update (5.5) was September 14, 2009. This should give you an approximate idea of when the next update might happen.

Eric

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Next ACR update?
            PBoehme

I was hoping for an earlier update since I just got my Canon 7D yesterday.  Guess that means that I will need to use DNG Converter until then.

• 3. Re: Next ACR update?
              ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

ACR and the DNG Converter have the same version of the Adobe RAW engine so it won't gain you anything by converting to DNG over just opening the files directly in Bridge/ACR or Photoshop.  They will all be interpreted using the single beta 7D camera profile.

• 4. Re: Next ACR update?
                PBoehme Level 1

What I meant was that I can't open the images in Photoshop because I have CS3 and the ACR updates stop at version 4.6.  Version 4.6 won't open the CR2 files from a 7D.

• 5. Re: Next ACR update?
                  JimHess-5IFZWq Level 3

PBoehme wrote:

What I meant was that I can't open the images in Photoshop because I have CS3 and the ACR updates stop at version 4.6.  Version 4.6 won't open the CR2 files from a 7D.

You seem to be expecting an update to ACR 4.6.  That isn't going to happen, ever.  Until you decide to update your Photoshop to the current version, your only option for working with your raw files in Photoshop CS3/ACR 4.6 is to use the DNG converter.

• 6. Re: Next ACR update?
                    PBoehme Level 1

No, Jim, I am not expecting an update to ACR 4.6.  I am quite aware that support for CS3 ended when CS4 was released.  That, along with the fact that I just upgraded to a Canon 7D a few days ago is the reason that I am using DNG Converter to convert the CR2 files for use with my current software.  However, as you are apparently not aware, just like ACR, DNG converter is also periodically updated to add new camera profiles just as ACR is updated.  The latest updates to both were made on September 15.  You can go to the following pages to see the list of cameras that were added for both ACR and DNG Converter: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4576 and http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4578.  Of course, the ACR update is for CS4 only.  The latest release of DNG Converter has a Beta profile only for the Canon 7D.  The nice thing about DNG Converter is that it is backwards compatible for earlier versions of ACR/Photoshop which makes it possible to upgrade camera bodies without the necessity of upgrading the a newer version of Photoshop.

I probably did not make it clear enough that I plan to use DNG converter until I decide to upgrade to CS4 or whatever is current if i wait long enough.  It is an extra time-consuming step, but not too bad.  Perhaps, you have confused me with the OP who is looking for an update to ACR.

• 7. Re: Next ACR update?
                      JimHess-5IFZWq Level 3

No, I didn't have you confused with the OP.  I did, however, misinterpret this statement from you:

"I was hoping for an earlier update since I just got my Canon 7D yesterday.  Guess that means that I will need to use DNG Converter until then."

I wrongly thought that you were looking for an "earlier update" to ACR 4.6, and since there wasn't one "yet" (my bad), you were going to have to use the DNG converter.  There are "some" people who don't seem to understand how the updates to ACR work.  And I made a wrong assumption based on how I interpred what you wrote.  It wasn't my intention to offend, hope I didn't.

• 8. Re: Next ACR update?
                        PBoehme Level 1

Thanks for the reply, Jim.  I was not offended, but I just thought that you misunderstood what I was wanting to do.  In rereading my earlier post, I can see that my typing wasn't always following all I had planned to say so some essential things were ommitted.  So, I apologize for creating confusion and thanks for being persistent in making sure that any potential questions were resolved.

I have decided that the beta profile in the current version of DNG Converter is not producing the usual great results that I expect.  The 7D images are coming out noisy and with unexpected color artifacts so I have switch to using DPP for the conversion to a TIFF file which I then process in ACR 4.6.  This may seem a bit odd, but I am not fully satisfied with the DPP results.  I have found that ACR and Photoshop along withe Neat Image plug-in does a nice job of complementing  the shortcomings of DPP (mainly CA, tonal adjustments, better color temperature controls, better sharpening that avoids the DPP "salt and pepper" sharpening artifacts, and selective color adjustments).