4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2009 3:02 AM by ramkumar.vp

color removal

Seth McGraw Level 1

How can you (javascript) add unnamed colors and then subsequently select and delete unused colors in CS & CS2.

In CS3 & 4 I can do it through menu actions (not supported in CS & CS2

• 1. Re: color removal
          [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

You can't add unnamed colors in Javascript. Rather, that's what I learned, the hard way. But ...

In CS3 & 4 I can do it through menu actions (not supported in CS & CS2

Devious!

Well ... as you said ... not in those older versions. Why not make up a name on the spot? It doesn't matter for its 'unused' status.

The unused swatches can be found as a document property "unusedSwatches":

Array of SwatchreadonlyThe swatches that are not being used.

(you gotta love those helpful descriptions).

Search the forum, I might of made someone else a working 'delete unused' script.

[Edit] Got it; it's part of the script here: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/491014?tstart=1

• 2. Re: color removal
            Seth McGraw Level 1

Not sure what part to use...clarify?

• 3. Re: color removal
              [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Ah -- I see I used it the other way around (generating a list of used colors from the entire document swatch list -- and I was pretty content with this!).

Off top of head, you might aim at sth like:

while (app.activeDocument.unusedSwatches.length > 0)  app.activeDocument.unusedSwatches[0].remove();

As you keep on removing item #0 (the first), the unusedSwatches array should decrease in length until it disappears into the tiny black hole inside your computer (leaving just its name and a zero length array as a lingering singularity).

Untested, so it might object against stuff like mixed inks. Pretty sure it would work with fairly regular color swatches, tho'.

• 4. Re: color removal
                ramkumar.vp Level 3

Hi Seth / Jongware,

I think this method will only work for normal swatches.

In case of Gradiant swatches [manualy CMYK color applied] it wouldn't work, because of unnamed colors.

So before deleting the swatch check its name not as empty.

Sample Code:

var myDocument = app.activeDocument;

var found=0;
                var arrUnusedSwt=myDocument.unusedSwatches;
                for(var jj=arrUnusedSwt.length-1;jj>=0;jj--)
                {
                     try{
                          if(arrUnusedSwt[jj].name.toString()!=""){arrUnusedSwt[jj].remove();}
                     }catch(e){}
                }

Regards,

Ramkumar