8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2009 2:41 AM by Jacob Bugge

Edit Contents button in CS4

Kris_Hunt Level 1

I don't understand the "Edit Clipping Path / Edit Contents" buttons in Illustrator CS4. When I have an object with a mask, and I want to edit the contents of the mask, I select the object and click the "Edit Contents" button. But this just selects every one of the masked objects. If I deselect everything, Illustrator switches back to "Edit Clipping Path" mode. How do I just edit one of the objects in the mask?

I attached a short video.

• 1. Re: Edit Contents button in CS4
          Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Kris,

I presume you do not want anyone to suggest the good old DirectSelection way when there seems to be a fancy new feature that may work, or not.

Said by someone still enjoying her face.

• 2. Re: Edit Contents button in CS4
            Kris_Hunt Level 1

Well, I certainly don't want people chiming in who don't know what they're talking about. The direct selection tool is useless if everything is selected to begin with.

• 3. Re: Edit Contents button in CS4
              Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As Jacob has indicated, just use the Open Arrow tool (Direct Select) to choose the item you wish to modify. Why bother to use the buttons.

• 4. Re: Edit Contents button in CS4

Kris_Hunt wrote:

... The direct selection tool is useless if everything is selected to begin with.

Indeed. Which was not implied in the first post, the fancy new feature being the Edit Clipping Path / Edit Contents" buttons.

In any case I apologize: no offence intended.

Edit: Hi Larry.

• 5. Re: Edit Contents button in CS4
                  Jesseham Level 4

Wow.  That was unnecessary. This is the second post that you've come out of the gate attacking the person trying to solve your problem.

Try the direct select tool first.

• 6. Re: Edit Contents button in CS4
                    Jean-Claude Tremblay User Group Manager

The "Clipping Path / Edit Contents" when use to edit the contents of the mask will not really allow you edit each individual objects easily. Think of it has a way to edit either the clipping or "All the masked elements. To edit each objects, use the Direct Selection Tool, or Double-Click the Mask to enter Isolation Mode, that will give you the ability to select the masked object even if they are hidden by the mask

• 7. Re: Edit Contents button in CS4
                      Kris_Hunt Level 1

> Why bother to use the buttons.

Yes, I would have to agree. I don't see the point of the buttons. I know I can just use the direct selection tool in the first place, or go into isolation mode, but I was just trying to learn the new way of doing things, and it didn't make sense to me.

Sorry for being rude, Jacob. Your original reply—the part where you indicated that you still use Illustrator 10, before you deleted that part—is what set me off again.

• 8. Re: Edit Contents button in CS4

Kris,

My answer was meant to be geniunely helpful, with a bit of innocent joking.

I had a hunch (which proved right), based upon your description, that the buttons feature might not be as great as might be expected (which I indicated), and I decided to add the known viable solution just in case it might be helpful, trying to avoid any offence by the opening presumption.

Sorry for being rude, Jacob. Your original reply—the part where you indicated that you still use Illustrator 10, before you deleted that part—is what set me off again.

That part was merely changed to be more figurative, referring to a recurring subject.

The joker must face the effects of the joke. If you wish, I will try to remember, and spare you.