2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2009 8:08 AM by mpanderson

Can't run, uninstall, install Reader 9.x

mpanderson

For reasons I don't understand, I can no longer run, install, or uninstall Adobe Reader.

Trying to run it resultis in "An internal error occurred".

Trying to download/install and trying to uninstall it through Control Panel result in "Error 1606, Could not access network location 'c:\Users\<my specific username>\Application Data'"

I have a laptop with Vista.

Looking at authorities for Application Data, I see that Authorized Users, Administrator, <my specific username>, all have at least read/write/execute authorities for Application Data.

I have tried several of the registry-related techniques that involve Microsoft Office.

So far, nothing works.

Can someone offer other suggestions?

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Can't run, uninstall, install Reader 9.x
          Claudio González Most Valuable Participant

I would try downloading MS Cleanup Utility to remove all traces of Reader, then I would go here

ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/

proceed to the version I want/need, and download and install it.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Can't run, uninstall, install Reader 9.x
            mpanderson Level 1

Thanks. Seemed like a reasonable solution - until I tried to install it and encountered "Script: C:\Users\<my username>\AppData\Local\Temp\IXP00.TMP\StartMsi.vbs ..... Permission denied ..." - apparently something involving the Program Files folder. I'm not experienced in this, but looking at Properties/Security for Program Files, there are a lot of "users", most of whom have few or no permissions other than "special permissions".

I tried restoring to a restore point a week ago, but that fails as well - "The shadow copy provider had an unexpected error while trying to process the specified operation. (0x8004230F)

Any suggestions - short of reloading my laptop?