1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 5, 2009 4:35 PM by the_wine_snob

Invalid Serial Number - 1 potential solution

Jay_B Level 1

Thought I would post this as I spent the afternoon trying to complete an install of PP CS4 and did not find this particular solution anywhere

Issue:

Invalid Serial Number error on install even though it's verified correct.

background

I had a trial version installed and had seen some issues that may have been related to trial to full so I decided to do an uninstall/reinstall with the full version

1st attempt at install got the error. Did the recommended Cleanup script & reboot. No Help.

2nd attempt saw a forum post about deleting the cache.db in {programFiles}\commonFile\adobe PCD\cache. No help

nth attempt...gave up and tried to install the trial version while waiting on a support request answer. Trial install failed as well with a Please insert install disk error. (failed as in could not continue.)

Which got me thinking about where I was installing from .

I'm installing this to my laptop which I can't connect to my work network (security policy) So I DL'd the files from the adobe store. I made a dvd of the install files with the following directory structure

>PP_CS4_Program

> Adobe CS4

> Adobe Encore CS4

> Adobe OnLocation CS4

and then ran the install from {dvd}\PP_CS4_Program\Adobe CS4\setup.exe

and got the various install fails

I copied Adobe CS4 dir to c:, reran the install and it accepted my serial number first time.

Not sure why this was an issue...but it's a fix for anyone trying to install under the same set of circumstances.

FIX: Install from folder on hard drive

it's also possible that a dvd with

Adobe CS4

Adobe Encore CS4

Adobe OnLocation CS4

in the root of the dvd would work as well although I did not try that (not going to burn another dvd to find out)

• 1. Re: Invalid Serial Number - 1 potential solution
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for reporting.

The suggestion to install from the C:\ is quite common for many Adobe programs, even if one has the official installation DVD's. The second common method is to move the installation folder to the Desktop and install from there.

Used to, most Adobe programs could get around installation problems, by installing in Safe Mode. Now, it seems that most/many do not install in Safe Mode, regardless.

Hunt