7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2009 4:39 PM by nados

GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5 or ASUS P6T?

nados Level 1

Hi all,

As many of you know, my P6T was returned to Newegg due to a malfunction. I had originally asked for a replacement but got a refund instead. So that puts me a position to reevaluate which mb to buy.

After reading some posts on the GIGABYTE and ASUS motherboards, i have learned that ASUS now owns GIGABYTE and that the quality is about the same. Further, Harm based his choice of the ASUS WS Pro over the GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5 on the fact that the ASUS WS Pro mb has the Marvel sata2 chipset.

Since neither the ASUS P6T or the GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5 have Marvel sata2 chipsets, it makes these two mb's fairly evenly matched other than the

price and the GA-EX58-UD5 having;

- floppy controller - will not use

- no esata port - not a big deal

The thing that i like about the GA-EX58-UD5 is that it has 2 JMB322 chips for a total of 10 sata connectors.

Any opinions?

• 1. Re: GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5 or ASUS P6T?
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Get the cheaper one.

• 2. Re: GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5 or ASUS P6T?
            Harm Millaard Level 7

The Gigabyte does have a 2-port eSATA bracket plus the cables in the standard package. I looked over some reviews and it has everything you may need. It's overclocking capabilities are maybe even better than the P6T. Availability and price would be the overriding factor here, both boards are well suited. The fact that there are 10 SATA ports on-board  on the Gigabyte may in certain situations be an advantage.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5 or ASUS P6T?
              nados Level 1

The only reason i'm leaning toward the GIGABYTE board, other things being somewhat equal to the ASUS board, is its 10 sata ports. I currently have in the case:

2 - (DVD) - sata DVDRW drives

1 - (BR) - sata BLU-RAY drive

1 - (SYSTEM) - sata WD 160gb - 7200rpm 8mb cache caviar blue drive

1 - (CACHE) - sata WD 500gb  - 7200rpm 16mb cache caviar blue drive

2 - (WORK) - sata Seagate 500gb - 7200rpm 32mb cache barracuda drives Raid-0 volume

A total of 7 sata ports required.

I'd prefer to either have:

- add 2 more sata drives to the  (WORK) Raid-0 volume.

or

- add a sata drive to (CACHE) to make it a Raid-0 volume for faster scratch/render/page file i/o.

and

- add a (STORAGE) sata drive.

A total of 9 sata ports required.

I do understand that using a good sata 4 or 8 port controller card would be better than using the onboard sata controllers for the CACHE and WORK volumes, but it's just too much money to spend at this time.

In any case, thanks for the input.

• 4. Re: GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5 or ASUS P6T?
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Given those considerations, I would probably opt for the Gigabyte, especially since they seem to have overcome their quality problems from some years ago.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5 or ASUS P6T?
                  nados Level 1

yea... and it would only be $30 more than what i originally paid for the P6T at Newegg.

I'll mull it over and make my decision tonight.... P6T - UD5 - P6T - UD5...........

Thanks.

• 6. Re: GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5 or ASUS P6T?
                    Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I am wondering why you would want two DVD drives and a Blu-ray drive?

• 7. Re: GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5 or ASUS P6T?
                      nados Level 1

If the case could hold 3 more dvd drives for a total of 5, i would stick them in. There are some live performances i shoot throughout the year that customers want to purchase as dvd's. The more i can crank out a once the faster i can get the job done and sell the dvd's.

Some of the live performances are shot in HDV with a smaller number of customers wanting HD copies - hence the Blu-Ray burner.

And yes, i know i can just go and buy a dvd/bl-ray duplication system to off load the duplication work - i will evenually - just not now.