11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2009 8:36 AM by raffjones

Object drawing poorly aligned bounding box problem

beesOnTarmac

Whenever I draw a shape with Object Drawing turned on the blue bounding box that appears whenever it is selected isn't aligned properly to the outer edgers of the shape.  Like this:

flashGraphicObjectProblemExample.jpg

Admittedly it isn't a major problem it's just a bit irritating especially when people I'm teaching to use Flash ask me why it looks the way it does.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Does anyone know if it can be fixed?

• 1. Re: Object drawing poorly aligned bounding box problem
          raffjones

This is only a reply to say that I have had the same problem, and its been very annoying. I still have CS3 on this machine and it is fine. I have upgraded Flash to 10.0.2, trashed all prefs, reset everything... to no avail.

I noticed that on my machine, the rectangle primitive tool and oval primitive tool both work fine.

I filed a support request with Adobe today, but if my past experiences are anything to go by, it will be some time before I hear anything, and that is unlikely to be very helpful.

Cheers,

raff

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Object drawing poorly aligned bounding box problem
            beesOnTarmac Level 1

Thanks for the response raff, it's good to know I'm not alone!

• 3. Re: Object drawing poorly aligned bounding box problem
              jendehaan Level 4

Hey there,

Could you provide some more info about your operating system, and anything more about the file? Or this is just happening universally with every shape you create at all times at all zoom levels?  I'm not seeing such an offset when using object drawing mode (I'm skewing, rotating, nesting, modifying internal shape, removing strokes, AS3 vs AS2 documents, zoom in and out, etc).

Thanks,

Jen.

PS: We do read the wishlist.

• 4. Re: Object drawing poorly aligned bounding box problem
                raffjones Level 1

Hi Jen,

I'm most grateful for your response!

I am running Flash CS4 10.0.2 on a 2.4GB Mac OS X 10.5, MacBook Pro with 4GB RAM.

Following your reply, I tried a new AS2 file - and there is absolutely no issue! Its fine. How odd!

However, the problem occurs in all AS3 files - if I create a new Flash AS 3.0 file and draw on the stage, the problem occurs for the following shapes:

1. Rectangle tool

2. Ellipse tool

3. Polygon Tool

Rectangle primitive and Ellipse primitive are fine.

The smaller the object is, the more the bounding box is out of alignment. I have attached a further screengrab to show how bad things get when zoomed in working on small shapes (zoomed to 800%). Its completely unusable in object mode. The fact that the primitive shapes work is good, but the ellipses can be a bit unreliable in their shape. I've been trying to skin some detailed Flex components, but just can't work like this, so its been very frustrating.

I have really no idea where to start. I tried to re-install from the CS4 Web Premium DVDs, but as luck would have it, my SuperDrive has packed up and I have to wait for a week at the Apple Store before dropping it in to get fixed, so can't do that for now.

Cheers,

raff

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Object drawing poorly aligned bounding box problem
                  jendehaan Level 4

Ah - that was the key. Small shapes zoomed in will show this bug - I wasn't drawing small enough shapes. Got it, and found that it has been reported. I will send it to the powers that be to look into it further for a fix.

As for the shapes, will raw shapes work for your project instead?  I'm afraid I can't offer good workarounds for this.

• 6. Re: Object drawing poorly aligned bounding box problem
                    raffjones Level 1

Raw shapes work but as you will know, they can be hard to work with in certain environments. I've ended up heading to Fireworks CS4 for the skinning, as it works so much better for most vector drawing.

Hope there is a fix. I'm just interested that if you create a file in AS 2.0 and draw some tiny shapes (zoomed to 800% or so) the bounding boxes are spot on. But if you then click Profile -> Edit in the Properties panel and change to AS 3.0 the bounding boxes break. Change back to AS 2.0 and everything is fine again.

Thanks again for the replies / bug reporting (hope this helps beesOnTarmac too)

Raff

• 7. Re: Object drawing poorly aligned bounding box problem
                      jendehaan Level 4

Yep - it is something to do with our stage rendering for AS3 documents, which uses Flash Player to render the Stage. AS2 doesn't use Flash Player for the Stage, which is why the bug doesn't happen there (or Flash CS3).

• 8. Re: Object drawing poorly aligned bounding box problem
                        beesOnTarmac Level 1

raffjones wrote:

Raw shapes work but as you will know, they can be hard to work with in certain environments. I've ended up heading to Fireworks CS4 for the skinning, as it works so much better for most vector drawing.

Hope there is a fix. I'm just interested that if you create a file in AS 2.0 and draw some tiny shapes (zoomed to 800% or so) the bounding boxes are spot on. But if you then click Profile -> Edit in the Properties panel and change to AS 3.0 the bounding boxes break. Change back to AS 2.0 and everything is fine again.

Thanks again for the replies / bug reporting (hope this helps beesOnTarmac too)

Raff

Yes this helps a great deal, thank you.

I woud have pipped in an earlier, but I'd gone off walking in the hills.  And now I'm back everything seems to have been sorted as far as it can be.

Thank you raffjones and jdehaan

• 9. Re: Object drawing poorly aligned bounding box problem
                          raffjones Level 1

I had a response from Adobe through my customer support portal. They suggested it might have been something to do with CS3 being installed on the same machine, but after a clean install of CS4 on a separate brand new MacBook, the problem persists.

Reinstalling Flash does not solve the issue, and it would also appear as if it is NOT related to CS3 being on the same machine.

I will update as the case progresses through my support portal.

• 10. Re: Object drawing poorly aligned bounding box problem
                            jendehaan Level 4

Installing on different machines, uninstalling any version of Flash, reinstalling CS4 - none of these will rectify the problem. Just want to make that clear, as I don't want you to waste unnecessary efforts on this problem (Tech support may not be intimately familiar with the stagecore feature).  Unfortunately the fix has to be made by an engineer, and provided in a future version of the product. In the meantime, one of the 'workarounds' above would need to be used.

• 11. Re: Object drawing poorly aligned bounding box problem
                              raffjones Level 1

Thanks Jen

I'll not try anything else... I was just following instructions from the tech support case so I could respond accurately. But at least its helpful to know this is a real issue and not something that can be fixed by changing anything locally.

Cheers,

raff