8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2009 2:37 PM by Jim_Simon

ISO/UIF files imported into PP CS3

madamski-tplyQu

I'm making .uif backups of discs to host on my server at work so that I do not have to keep using the actual discs (Digital Juice).

I tried to use MagicDisc to make an ISO but got an error, and used .uif extension instead which seems like a better alternative anyway.

Once the .uif file is complete, when trying to import into Adobe I see that it tries to import the disc as a whole.  How would I go about importing individual tracks?  I'm not sure the ISO or .uif has anything to do with it but that's where I'm at so far with this first attempt.

Thank you for the guidance!

• 1. Re: ISO/UIF files imported into PP CS3
          Jim_Simon Level 8

I don't think either format is supported in Premiere.  They're what you end up with on disk when your done editing, not what you start out with.  It's not surprising results are quirky.

• 2. Re: ISO/UIF files imported into PP CS3
            Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

MagicDisc is a virtual drive that can view/extract the files in an iso (and I assume uif).  You do not import the iso into Premiere.  I don't see the advantage of creating an iso as opposed to just putting the files onto your server.

That said, you mount the iso with magicdisc, then treat that mounted drive as any drive.  If I were using such files in Premiere, I would copy the file (so it is now a "real" file) and then import into Premiere.

I find magicdisc handy, but only for saving the step of burning an iso to disk just to read it.

• 3. Re: ISO/UIF files imported into PP CS3
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Stanley,

You saved me having to Google MagicDisk.

Given what it does, I would agree completely with your suggested workflow. Having the copy of the actual file will go a long way to performance. There will be no interactions with other programs, to extract the actual files. Working from the copies will speed things up greatly.

I store a lot of Assets on my NAS, and even without their haveing to be unarchived, or further processed, find that even a gigabit NAS is too slow to effectively edit to/from. I just Copy the Assets over to my internals, or to my FW-800 externals for editing.

Thanks for saving me Google time!

Good luck to the OP,

Hunt

• 4. Re: ISO/UIF files imported into PP CS3
                madamski-tplyQu Level 1

Thank you for the response so far.  You've helped me in regards to at least getting files like my music on the server without needing ISOs.  The problem still lies in how to get the DVD's copied to the server.  These, as you know, come in an assortment of folders and files and can be quite cumbersome especially for my students who likely wont know where to go to find anything.  These DVD's contain things like moving backgrounds, graphics, etc.

The biggest issue is that every time the students want to render a file, they need the disc.  There is one disc per catalog and it is hard to share.  The ISO files would essentially be the disc sitting on the server for all students to either copy to their flash or use right from the server.  This would allow multiple uses of the disc at once and also prevent discs being lost or scratched while also speeding up the whole process.

My issue right now is that my school laptop FREAKS OUT when I add a phantom DVD/CD ROM drive via MagicDisc.  It literally locks up because it's looking for a drive that doesn't exist.

Anyway, I guess I will make the ISO's for the DVD's at home and bring them in on a flash to copy to the server.  This isn't really and Adobe problem anymore as they will be using the discs to load into the Digital Juice Juicer software to render the files to use in PP.

Thanks for the help.  I'd still appreciate any feedback as you've all been very helpful thus far!

• 5. Re: ISO/UIF files imported into PP CS3
                  Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The people to ask are Digital Juice.  The other issue is that this appears to require a multiuser license.

• 6. Re: ISO/UIF files imported into PP CS3
                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                    every time the students want to render a file, they need the disc.

That doesn't sound right.  Proper work flow would be for a student to copy the desired clip from the DVD to the media folder on a local hard drive.  Then import that clip into Premiere.  Using that method, I don't see how the disk would be required for Premiere to render.

• 7. Re: ISO/UIF files imported into PP CS3
                      madamski-tplyQu Level 1

Woops, I should have mentioned I was talking about rendering within Digital Juice for adjustments we've made to the original file.

All Digital Juice told me was to make ISO files of the discs and then yes, sign up as a multi-user account or whatever.

• 8. Re: ISO/UIF files imported into PP CS3
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

Ah.

That, then, is indeed a DJ issue.