4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2009 7:31 AM by Lost In My Mind

Vanishing Point Orientation

Lost In My Mind Level 1

I have spent numerous hours using Adobe resources to help me with 'Vanishing Point.' However, I can't seem to find anything that addresses my issue (probably an oversight on my part). The majority of times that I create an image in VP and import it, it seems to be lost in space (or I am.....). The orientation of the grids doesn't seem to be aligned with the camera, and I can't see the image that I made in PS. Yes, I try moving and rotating the layers, and that works on simpler projects, but not on other ones, I just can't get it to work. Is there an easier, or better way to import my project so that it is orientated correctly? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

• 1. Re: Vanishing Point Orientation
          Anton-kameraman

VP is just  one more little  addon tool, not the panacea. And the success of VP process strongly depends on th kind of picture you use. Compare all  the examples provided by Adobe to what you're trying to use. the picture must have some "depth of space" or else the VP is useless. Good luck

• 2. Re: Vanishing Point Orientation
            Lost In My Mind Level 1

Thanks for the reply Anton. I was using a photo with a lot of 'depth of space' and yes I believe that I have watched almost every tutorial out there by Adobe and there affiliates on the subject. Unfortunately, as in most tuts, they use ideal examples in their tuts, but we rarely get to work with that in the real world. I love to watch a PS tut on extracting, and they use a green screen as an example :O I usually get several people close together in a forest full of light and shadows to extract :/  I was just hoping that someone had a similar experience of importing from VP, and not having it orientated correctly and might share a tip with me on how that might be done. I don't recall implying that it was a 'panacea', just another tool I would like to learn how to use better. Thanks again.

• 3. Re: Vanishing Point Orientation
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

The failure here is, that VP does what in 3D matchmoving is called an uncalibrated track, i.e. it merely calculates some camera that fits the current view and does so by using quite strange values and weird spatial orientation, further complicated by it ignoring lens curvature and thus sometimes realyl producing results, that in the strict sense are completely wrong. The lack of a consistent 3D space is really a fundamental shortcoming in all Adobe apps, including AE and PS. I'm afraid there really is no good solution to your specific problem. As a minor, always make sure the document settings in PS match your later comp settings in AE and try to find the most suitable reference plane in VP. Everything else is indeed a lot of manual fiddling. Of course you can always consider alternatives liek a proper 3D matchmoving tool (SynthEyes, Boujou, PFhoe Pro, PFTrack etc.), but these things then cost extra money...

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Vanishing Point Orientation
                Lost In My Mind Level 1

Thank you Mylenium, that is the type of answer I was looking for (even though that wasn't what I wanted to hear ). I am really glad you pointed me in the direction of those other apps, as I am willing to pay for something that works for what I'm trying to do. I am headed there right now and see what they have to offer. Thank you again for your time and help. Cin