6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2009 4:40 AM by Edward the not so great

Error Message 1402

Edward the not so great

I tried to download Adobe Reader v9.1 but received the Error message 1402 HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run.  I have read other posts on this subject and followed the advice given - uninstalling the previous version and downloading Windows Installer Clean Up Utility but still got the same message.  Now I have no PDF reader at all and can't download forms online - so frustrating and inconvenient. My OS is Windows Vista. Another post suggested opening the Registry and doing something with Installer but I can find no such program.  I would welcome any advice. Thank you.

• 1. Re: Error Message 1402
          pwillener Level 8

Are you trying to install the Reader as an Administrator user?  If not, can you try that?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Error Message 1402
            Edward the not so great Level 1

In my computer start menu is one Adobe 'set up' file, 338kb, last modified 27/02/09.  I right clicked to open and clicked 'run as administrator'. The system then attempted to install v9.1 but the same message appeared and the install failed.  Thank you for making this suggestion, but I need alternatives!

• 3. Re: Error Message 1402
              pwillener Level 8

Edward the not so great wrote:

In my computer start menu is one Adobe 'set up' file, 338kb, last modified 27/02/09.

I have no idea what that file is.  You need the Adobe Reader install file, which is 26113KB; you can download it from http://ardownload.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/9.x/9.1/enu/AdbeRdr910_en_US.exe

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Error Message 1402

I downloaded this file but could not see a 'Run as adminstrator' option initially and, unsurprisingly, the installation failed.  I then went to Boot(C:) and opened Program Files, but when I right clicked on the Adobe 9.0 program file there was no option to 'Run as Administrator'.  I got the list of options under "Explore", i.e, open, open as notebook, etc.  The program file is not in my list of 'All Programs'.  When I enter "Adobe Reader 9.0" or "Reader 9.0" in the Start menu nothing appears.  The only Adobe program I can run as an administrator is Acrobat, and only Acrobat and Adobe Media Player are in my list of 'All Programs'  (I would also mention there is a Program file 8.0 in my C Drive which I cannot delete - perhaps this is could be the cause of my problem, but if I can't get rid of it I am 'stuffed'.  More help needed, please!

• 5. Re: Error Message 1402
                  pwillener Level 8

This may be a Vista thing, which is something I never went near to.

Can you login as an Administrator user, then just run it normally from there?

• 6. Re: Error Message 1402

I went to 'Control Panel' and 'User Accounts' and was able to establish that I am set up as Administrator.  I have been searching Google in desperation and found this posting:

With REGEDIT.exe, go to HKLM\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\sharedDLLs. Right click on the key and chose permissions. On the Group or User Names section, hit the Add button and type EVERYONE, check the Full_Control and Read boxes and OK. You now have permission.

The problem I have with this is that I get as far as "current version" but there NO "sharedDLLs" option is shown - the next heading is "internet"  I don't suppose you can help with this?