19 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2009 9:36 AM by joshuahratliff

No audio on .mp4 from GY HM100 (PE 4)

joshuahratliff

I have no audio on .mp4 files recorded on GY HM100. Im using Premiere Elements 4.

• 1. Re: No audio on .mp4 from GY HM100 (PE 4)
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

What is inside those MP4 files? This would mainly be the CODEC's used by the camera. G-Spot can give you most of that info, as can hitting Ctrl+J in QuickTime Player Pro.

The camera's manual should also give you the full detail. My guess would be that you have H.264 for the Video CODEC, but I'd have no clue as to the format/CODEC for the Audio.

Does QuickTime Player play the Audio?

Also, there can be other reasons for no Audio in PrE. Do the "sample" AV files (.AVI's) play Audio in PrE4? If not, then you likely have a setting in your Edit>Preferences>Audio Hardware wrong.

Good luck, and let us know the answers to those questions. Someone will have ideas to help you.

Hunt

• 2. Re: No audio on .mp4 from GY HM100 (PE 4)
            joshuahratliff Level 1

Codec:  twos: 16-bit signed big-endian

Info: 48000Hz 

Stat: Status Undetermined

Does that help anyone answers this question?

• 3. Re: No audio on .mp4 from GY HM100 (PE 4)
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

That camcorder produces video in a lot of different formats. It's likely you've recorded to a format that's way outside of Premiere Elements limited reach.

This is a very expensive, professional camcorder. Have you considered working with its video on a more professional program, like Premiere CS4?

• 4. Re: No audio on .mp4 from GY HM100 (PE 4)
                joshuahratliff Level 1

Quick time player will not play the video OR audio. I get this error message: error 2010: the movie contains some invalid data

• 5. Re: No audio on .mp4 from GY HM100 (PE 4)
                  joshuahratliff Level 1

Steve, You are right! the GY HM100 is top notch. I am a teacher working on some grant money. I will be moving to a iMac with FCP in the next few weeks. In the meantime, I was wanting to work with what I have. Could it be that this high level of HD video/audio will only work with FCP or CS4? Maybe so...

BTW I have Photoshop cs4 extended (which does video).....no luck with that either.

• 6. Re: No audio on .mp4 from GY HM100 (PE 4)
                    joshuahratliff Level 1

I also tryed to open the files in Vegas Pro 8, Pinnacle 11, Power Director even freakin movie maker.... no luck.

• 7. Re: No audio on .mp4 from GY HM100 (PE 4)
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      Quick time player will not play the video OR audio.

This could well indicate an issue with the files. I would check carefully into the settings on the camera, as something is not correct with the files.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: No audio on .mp4 from GY HM100 (PE 4)
                        joshuahratliff Level 1

Ok, here is a curve ball, the files play fine in WinFF and VLC (video and full clear audio). Also the .mov files play fine in final cut (or course).

To make things worse, I tried the .mp4 files in premiere pro cs3...you guessed it video but no audio.

• 9. Re: No audio on .mp4 from GY HM100 (PE 4)
                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                          the files play fine in WinFF and VLC

Do not know WinFF, but VLC Player has its own CODEC's, beyond what is installed on one's system. That is one of the beauties of it. However, it can confuse folk, as things will play in it, (or MediaPlayer Classic, or GOM Player), that will not play elsewhere, or edit in an NLE.

I'm heading back to see your G-Spot report, and may have some more questions on it.

Later,

Hunt

• 10. Re: No audio on .mp4 from GY HM100 (PE 4)
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Codec:  twos: 16-bit signed big-endian

Info: 48000Hz 

Stat: Status Undetermined

The "undetermined" staus is curious. Can you post a screen-cap of the full G-Spot GUI, with one of these files loaded? I'd like to see some other aspects, that might be on that screen-cap.

Thanks and good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: No audio on .mp4 from GY HM100 (PE 4)
                              joshuahratliff Level 1

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/403/kb403179.html

How about this? Should I try to do this as they suggest?

I will attach a screen shot.

• 13. Re: No audio on .mp4 from GY HM100 (PE 4)
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for the screen-cap and for the Adobe KB Article above.

G-Spot tells me that your file has muxed MPEG Audio. Some Adobe programs have issues with muxed MPEG Audio. The first thing that I would try would be to demux to elemental streams, or rip the Audio portion of the file(s). I'd do the latter first. I use Audition, but I believe that the freeware program, Audacity, will do this, as well. Once ripped, I'd just do a Save_As, and choose PCM/WAV (Uncompressed) 48KHz 16-bit.

For demuxing, there are several freeware programs, but I do not use any, so cannot comment on them.

Try a program, like Audition, or Audacity, and then Import that resulting Audio file into PrE. You can Alt-click on the muxed Audio file, and then replace it with the Save_As file. You can also leave it, go into Audio Mixer and choose to Mute it. Drag your new file to another Audio Track, with no Muting.

Good luck, and let us know how this works for you. If not, then there is something else, besides the muxed MP4 Audio, that is going on.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                                • 14. Re: No audio on .mp4 from GY HM100 (PE 4)
                                  joshuahratliff Level 1

Oh yeah,

I can rip the audio out of the file, save it as a wav or mp3, then put them in separately. That does work. But I find it crazy!! CRAZY! That I would have to do all that just because I want to use GY HM100 files on a PC. I cant believe that everyone out there with this camera is a Mac user.....I am also having the same trouble when I put these files in Premiere Pro SC3, so Im really confused.

thank you for all your help. BandH is closed this week for a holiday. When they return, Im going to see if someone there can figure this out. If not, I may need a  different camera!! JVC's guy is clueless, he told me to use Movie Maker. WOW.....

• 15. Re: No audio on .mp4 from GY HM100 (PE 4)
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                                    I can rip the audio out of the file, save it as a wav or mp3, then put them in separately

Great news! Remember, this was but a test to see if the issue was the muxed MPEG Audio. It certainly apprears that it is/was. Hint: do not use MP3, as this will recompress your Audio again. It was already compressed when recorded to MPEG. For the highest quality, leave it in PCM/WAV, though the files are larger.

I can rip the audio out of the file, save it as a wav or mp3, then put them in separately. That does work. But I find it crazy!! CRAZY! That I would have to do all that just because I want to use GY HM100 files on a PC. I cant believe that everyone out there with this camera is a Mac user.....I am also having the same trouble when I put these files in Premiere Pro SC3, so Im really confused

This should NOT be your workflow, but in this case we were testing things. As I stated upthread, most Adobe programs that do NLE, or authoring work, do not always "play nice" with muxed MPEG Audio. This is often manifested in PrE, PrPro and also in Encore.

Now, I wonder what the possibilities in your camera are, for the Audio. That would be where I would explore next. Unfortunately, I have no clue, as to what options might be available. Since your camera has XLR Audio connections, with phantom power to mics, I would guess that you have a list of options. However, I do not know this camera, so I cannot help there. It's up to you, the manual and the various menu screens.

I would also post to the PrPro forum, and ask about the Audio selections on that camera. List the camera, and mention that you are having similar issues in CS3. Mention that you were able to rip with an Audio editor, and that replacing the muxed MPEG did work. That will save everyone the time telling you to do, just what you have already done. I'd guess that there will be several users on that particular camera, and they can tell you what they set it to. I'll drop in, should anyone have questions that we'ver already touched on, to save you time.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - though you are going to Mac and FCP (will not hold that against you), there should be settings to get this material into an Adobe NLE on the PC. Do not mention FCP, or Mac, in that thread. No sense in starting an NLE, or platform war!

1 person found this helpful
                                    • 16. Re: No audio on .mp4 from GY HM100 (PE 4)
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                                      BandH is closed this week for a holiday. When they return, Im going to see if someone there can figure this out. If not, I may need a  different camera!!

B&H has always been good for me. They usually have someone, who knows a particular piece of equipment.

Looking over the specs. of the camera, I would doubt that you should need to scrap it for another. I feel strongly that it's just a matter of the correct setting someplace. Wish I knew the camera, as I'd give you the menu to look on and what to set it to.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - there are some JVC users on the PrPro forum, though most seem to be Sony, or Panny users. I anticipate that one of the JVC-guys, or girls, will say, "oh, that's simple. Just set this to that, and you're good to go... "

• 17. Re: No audio on .mp4 from GY HM100 (PE 4)
                                        joshuahratliff Level 1

You are the man!

Thanks. I will take this issue to the other forum. And ok, I will not say anything about FCP.

• 18. Re: No audio on .mp4 from GY HM100 (PE 4)
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

I wish you luck on the CS4 forum. Lot of very good folk over there, and probably some with the same camera, or experience with it.

I'd also not mention PrE, as you just get comments to come back here and post. Pretend that you are going to be using PrPro CS4.

I'll drop by the thread too. Don't be surprised if I make some comments, that you've already seen here. I will be doing so, just to keep the thread going. You can ignore them, unless I come upon a question that might prove useful in the thread.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 19. Re: No audio on .mp4 from GY HM100 (PE 4)
                                            joshuahratliff Level 1

Thank you so much sir.