3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2009 10:20 AM by ssprengel

Camera Raw not seeing changes made by DPP

boris_00 Level 1

I am not sure whether this is a procedure problem or capability.

When I edit a (canon 50D) CR2 file in Canon DPP ver 3.6.1.0 and save it as a CR2 file, then open the same CR2 file in camera raw ver 5.5 it does not see any changes made by DPP  it opens up the file as an original.  All changes made by DPP are gone.

So my question is, is there a way for camera raw to see and use the changes made by DPP.

• 1. Re: Camera Raw not seeing changes made by DPP
          Panoholic Level 2
          is there a way for camera raw to see and use the changes made by DPP

It is essential to understand, that DPP did not make any changes to the image. It recorded the adjustments, just like ACR is doing; however, the recording made by DPP is not only in a proprietory format, like ACR's changes are, but undocumented as well (though I doubt that Adobe would recognize them even if their format were documented).

In short: forget about it.

Gabor

• 2. Re: Camera Raw not seeing changes made by DPP
            boris_00 Level 1

Thanks Gabor

You have confirmed my suspicion,  I am aware that any changes made by DPP or most other software to raw files is only recording changes and not actually applying the changes until it is converted and saved to another format.  Was hoping that ACR would be able to read the changes.

The reason I wanted this is I find that DPP does a better job removing noise from high ISO images then ACR, but I prefer the rest of the editing features of ACR, so what I hoped to do was to use DPP to remove noise and finish editing in ACR.

Was just a though, thanks for the help.

Boris

• 3. Re: Camera Raw not seeing changes made by DPP
              ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As you have found, Canon's DPP does its thing, and Adobe's CR does its thing, without knowing about the other.  This is as good as it's going to be.  The "settings" in ACR and the "settings" in DPP are specific to their own respective RAW engines and even if DPP looked in ACR's XMP or ACR looked at DPPs "recipe" files, they wouldn't know how to interpret them.