14 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2009 4:17 PM by DilipShah

Flash Builder 4 beta 2 as Eclipse plugin

kingquattro Level 1

Hey guys,

Currently I am running beta 1 as a plugin to Eclipse (need some svn plugins that does not install properly on stand alone Flash builder).  I have downloaded beta 2, but am afraid to install it.  Has any one done this?  Do I need to uninstall beta 1 if so how do I do that?  Since there are changes in package names, I need to make sure app is working fine in beta 2. 

Thank you

Jay

• 1. Re: Flash Builder 4 beta 2 as Eclipse plugin
          kingquattro Level 1

Hey,

I figured since I have a Time machine backup why not give it a try.  I uninstalled beta 1 using the uninstaller in /Application/Adobe .. Beta, and then installed beta 2. 

Its a good thing I had backup.  I quickly realized that the perspective that I had in Beta 1 are gone.  In beta 2 I only had <Flex Development>, and if I open .as file its was opened as CF .js file, and mxml file was opened as regular file.  Does anyone else have same issues? or is it just me doing something wrong?

Thanks

Jay

• 2. Re: Flash Builder 4 beta 2 as Eclipse plugin
            C. Agruss (Adobe) Level 3

Hi Jay,

Thanks for posting your experiences with this. Some of the perspective names may have changed a little since Beta 1, but you should still have them all available in Beta 2.

When you run FB4 Plug-in Beta 2, are you using the copy of Eclipse 3.4.2 that comes bundled with FB4, or are you plugging into your own separate copy of Eclipse?

If it's your own pre-existing copy of eclipse, which version and distro are you using? For example:

- Eclipse 3.5.1

- JEE Distro

If you launch the copy of Eclipse that comes bundled with FB4 Plug-in Beta 2, do you see all of the Flash Builder perspectives?

Thanks again,

-Chris

• 3. Re: Flash Builder 4 beta 2 as Eclipse plugin
              kingquattro Level 1

Hey,

I have Eclipse 3.4.2 installed already.  I tested a fresh copy of eclipse 3.4.2, with FB as plugin and CFBuilder and all worked as expected.  But if I uninstall my currect copy of FB beta 1 and CFBuildter beta 1, and then install beta 2 of both, under my prespective menu I don't have option to select Flash, or CF as my prespecitve.

I tried to launch Eclipse from command line, and I get the following two errors

!ENTRY org.eclipse.ui 4 0 2009-10-07 14:09:28.586
              !MESSAGE Unhandled event loop exception
              !STACK 0
              org.eclipse.swt.SWTException: Failed to execute runnable (java.lang.NullPointerException)

!ENTRY com.adobe.flexbuilder.project 4 43 2009-10-07 14:09:31.827
              !MESSAGE Failed to add workspace root to Flash Player trust file.
              !STACK 0
              java.io.FileNotFoundException: /Users/kingquattro/Library/Preferences/Macromedia/Flash Player/#Security/FlashPlayerTrust/flashbuilder_plugin.fbr (Permission denied)

Any ideas/pointers?

Thanks

Jay

• 4. Re: Flash Builder 4 beta 2 as Eclipse plugin
                Jason San Jose Adobe Employee

Try a new workspace File > Workspace > Other...

Jason San Jose

Quality Engineer, Flash Builder

-- Sent from my Palm Prē

• 5. Re: Flash Builder 4 beta 2 as Eclipse plugin
                  kingquattro Level 1

Umm I don't want to create new workspace because I have SVN connected to my project..., beside I just started fresh, and its seem to be working for now.

• 6. Re: Flash Builder 4 beta 2 as Eclipse plugin
                    C. Agruss (Adobe) Level 3

Hi Jay,

Other ideas that may help with your own copy of eclipse:

- add -clean to the top of the eclipse.ini file, and relaunch

- if -clean doesn't do the trick, try the steps below for designating and Extension Location.

How to Designate FB4 Plug-in as a Product Extension

First, enable Classic Update in Eclipse Preferences > General > Capabilities > Classic Update.

The copy of eclipse bundled with FB4 Plug-in doesn’t include the Classic Update option in Preferences, but you can still enable it as follows:

- In the default workspace (/yourUserName/Documents/Adobe Flash Builder Plug-in Beta 2/), locate the following file:

/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.core.runtime/.settings/org.eclipse.ui.workbench.prefs

- At the end of that file, add the following line:

UIActivities.org.eclipse.equinox.p2.ui.sdk.classicUpdate=true

Then, add FB4 Plug-in as a product extension, using these steps:

- invoke Help > Software Updates... > Manage Configuration

- add an extension folder, pointed to the FB4 Plug-in subfolder named eclipse.

Hope that helps,

-Chris

• 7. Re: Flash Builder 4 beta 2 as Eclipse plugin
                      kingquattro Level 1

Thanks Chris,

I will give this a shot and let you know what worked.

Jay

• 8. Re: Flash Builder 4 beta 2 as Eclipse plugin

No problem. You can reimport (Import, Existing project into workspace) your existing project and keep your SVN settings just fine. Subclipse is pretty good about that (at least from my experience).

Jason San Jose

Quality Engineer, Flash Builder

• 9. Re: Flash Builder 4 beta 2 as Eclipse plugin
                          DilipShah Level 1

Hi Jason,

I have been using Flash Builder 4 Beta as Eclipse plugin for the last couple of months. I needed to use a few classes that got introduced lately and so I ventured to upgrade to Flash Builder 4 Beta 2 and the latest stable sdk build 10485 and things haven't been going well.

Here is what I did:

1. uninstalled original Beta

2. installed Beta 2

3. deployed build 10485 in Beta 2 directory

4. pointed compiler in Eclipse to the 10485 skd

Here is what's happening:

1. The IDE worked fine but to my surprise, withevery key stroke, it'll try to build the entire project and at some stage hang.

2. After killing Eclipse, when I restart and turn off Build automatically option

This point onwards, code assist is unavailable in Eclipse!! I have restarted Eclipse several times, turned on Build automatically option but code assign woldn't turn on. Now Eclipse is acting as a regular editor!

Since then I have unstalled and reinstalled FB Beta 2 plug-in a couple of times but the behavior is the same. Please help!!

Thanks in advance!

Dilip

PS: I decided to use this thread as it seemed more appropriate than starting a new one on the very same subject

• 10. Re: Flash Builder 4 beta 2 as Eclipse plugin

I'm can't be much help at the moment (at MAX). Other Adobe folks on the forum might pitch in today.

I'm not sure what would cause compiling when typing. Build automatically should only fire on save. See if you can find a similar bug in the bug database.

When you turn off build automatically, any library project dependencies won't work or will be stale. FB reads SWC files for dependent projects. So, if you prefer/must turn this off, be sure to manually fire builds per each library.

It wasn't clear in your last post,did you try a clean workspace?

-- Sent from my Palm Prē

• 11. Re: Flash Builder 4 beta 2 as Eclipse plugin
                              DilipShah Level 1

I'm using an existing 4.0.0 workspace, which has 4-5 projects.

Here is some additional information:

1. If I create a brand new project (let's call this project A) in the same workspace, FB behaves as you would expect (no rebuilding on each key stroke, etc)

2. If I create a brand new project but using existing source files (call this project B), FB rebuilds with each key stroke and after a crash, when I turned automatic build off, now it doesn't have code assist for files in this project B. Note that when I switch to any file in project A, FB again behaves properly! Files in project B are created using and working fine with FB beta 1.

One of the differences that I see is that project B has .svn folders as the project is under version control in Subversion.

Let me know if I can provide any additional information.

Dilip

• 12. Re: Flash Builder 4 beta 2 as Eclipse plugin
                                Rob Brambley Level 1

As Jason suggested, building shouldn't fire unless the editor is saved.  Is the editor being saved after every keystroke (you can tell if you look at the editor tab and see the * disappear)?

Rob Brambley

• 13. Re: Flash Builder 4 beta 2 as Eclipse plugin
                                  DilipShah Level 1

yes, the file being edited gets saved on each key stroke and, from the looks of it, then the builds begins. When you type 'fast', the compiler tries to keep up and then FB freezes!

Dilip

• 14. Re: Flash Builder 4 beta 2 as Eclipse plugin
                                    DilipShah Level 1

I created another project in FB B2 from existing source tree. This project didn't have .svn folders and all seem to be working fine.

It looks like, after installing FB B2,  if you

a) use FB B1's workspace, with code under Subversion

or b) create new project from exisitng code tree under subversion

you run into issues.

If there is a way around this, please let me know because I would hate to lose all the version control information to use FB B2!

Dilip