12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2009 5:59 PM by ZOMBIEJON

Need Help Adding QuickTime to Adobe Premiere CS4?

ZOMBIEJON

When I open a new project in Adobe Premiere CS4, in the drop down list that is for "Format Capture" it only list DV and HDV? How do I set QuickTime as the Format Capture like I see in the lynda.com tutorials?

I have quicktime 7 installed but under the new project capture format drop down list, I have no option to choose it?

I think this may be the reason audio and video is not syncing up in the video playback as well. I have installed the K-lite codec pack but still the same issue exsists and QuickTime does not appear in the drop down.

I have the Lynda.com DVD tutorial for Premeire CS4 but in the very first video it says to set the capture format as QuickTime.

Am I missing something here?

Any help would be most appericaited.

I have jsut started using CS4 so Im sure I will be posting a ton of questions here, if I can ever lend a hand along the way i will do so as well.

System
      WinXP Pro 32 SP3
      CS4 Master Collection
      NiVida 8800GT Graphics Card
      8 Gb Gskill SDRAM
      Anthlon X2 64 AM2 Winsdor Black Edtion OC'd to 3.4Ghz

Print Screen of adobe project start up.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v708/theytookmyeyes/Adobe_cs4_print_screen.jpg

• 1. Re: Need Help Adding QuickTime to Adobe Premiere CS4?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

With QT media, whether .MOV, or .MP4, you will not be able to Capture from that device.

Instead, copy the files over to your computer and then use Import to get those Assets into PrPro.

Please tell us a bit more about those files, as .MOV, like .AVI, is but a "wrapper." These files can contain a lot of different "stuff." Some Import and edit fine, and others can create problems. For the latter, one often has much better results by converting to a format/CODEC that PrPro can edit more easily.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Need Help Adding QuickTime to Adobe Premiere CS4?
            shooternz Level 6

It is possible /likely that the tutorials were created on a MAC (and a MAC version of PrPro).

QT is standard on a MAC and AVI are standard on a Windows PC.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Need Help Adding QuickTime to Adobe Premiere CS4?
              ZOMBIEJON Level 1

Thank you both for the reply.

I believe the Lynda.com tutorials are on a MAC and that is why Quciktime is listed in the drop down.

When I get home tonight I will try a little converting and see if I get better results.

I'm at work right now but I think I have a software called Magic Video Convertor. Can you tell me which format works best with PrPro on a PC?

(Should I post the previous sentence as a new string?)

I also have quections about the decoder or encoder that I should install with the PrPro CS4.

To answer the reply below: I am not sure excatly what format I will be working with . mov or .avi. I would like to start off with just creating some short videos  from stock footage of either a movie download or a movie from my Flip camera so i can get to know the interface. As I advance I will better be able to answer that question. Most likey videos from my Flip.

Thanks again everyone who responded.

• 4. Re: Need Help Adding QuickTime to Adobe Premiere CS4?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

I'm at work right now but I think I have a software called Magic Video Convertor. Can you tell me which format works best with PrPro on a PC?

(Should I post the previous sentence as a new string?)

I do not know this particular program, but it should allow for conversion to DV-AVI Type II w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV Audio. The exact settings choices might differ, program to program, but that is your ultimate target

Now, if you have QuickTime Pro (a US$29 unlock key from the regular QT Player), you can use it to convert .MOV files to DV-AVI's with the above specs. in it, you would use the DV/DVCPRO CODEC for the Compression setting. It works perfectly for me with tons of .MOV's.

As to where to post, this thread is a perfect place to keep things, regarding the .MOV files. I'd not change a thing.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Need Help Adding QuickTime to Adobe Premiere CS4?
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

I have installed the K-lite codec pack but still the same issue exsists and QuickTime does not appear in the drop down.

Well, good luck with the complete reformat of your disk and the complete reinstall of your OS and programs.

NEVER install K-Lite.

Once you have reformatted and reinstalled OS and Adobe, refrain from installing QuickTime. Use DV AVI instead. QuickTime is for MAC's and often cause problems on a PC, although not as bad a K-Lite.

• 6. Re: Need Help Adding QuickTime to Adobe Premiere CS4?
                    ZOMBIEJON Level 1

I have had k-lite installed on several systems over several years and everything has worked fine. Should I be that concerned that I need to wipe my HDD?

I have backups and a bootable image already created, so wiping and re-installing shold be quick, but is it really needed?

Should I install a codec pack at all? I saw other posts listing Morgan and Mainconcept, but after trying those two and only seeing chopping playback on WMP I went back to K-lite?

Is it really that bad to use k-lite? Got it from Download.com and AVG shows not threats?

Is there a standard codec that everyone else uses with PrPro?

Thanks again you guys are great!!

• 7. Re: Need Help Adding QuickTime to Adobe Premiere CS4?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      QuickTime is for MAC's and often cause problems on a PC, although not as bad a K-Lite

I've been fortunate with QT Pro, and have had a version on every computer for years, with several NLE's. Now, I do not upgrade, except when others report on a new, better version, so I missed the big 7.4.x problems, and some others.

CODEC "packs" are another issue entirely, and I agree. K-Lite is probably one of the more benign ones, but still I avoid it too.

Hunt

• 8. Re: Need Help Adding QuickTime to Adobe Premiere CS4?
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

K-Lite, FFDShow and others have been renowned in the world, galaxy and other places nearby for creating havoc on any system.

The only codecs that are safe to use are Mainconcept, Morgan, Lagarith and HuffYuv. All others are worth investigating before installing.

There is no reason to install codec packs, since all required codecs for video editing are included in the Adobe programs, unless you use esoteric hardware, like still cameras with some video capabilities, or the fridge that has a webcam built in, or a wireless helmet camera, but then you are expected to work that out yourself.

• 9. Re: Need Help Adding QuickTime to Adobe Premiere CS4?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                          I have had k-lite installed on several systems over several years and everything has worked fine. Should I be that concerned that I need to wipe my HDD?

I'd hold off on that, but do keep it in the back of your mind. First, go to Add/Remove Programs and uninstall K-Lite. Remember that if you did an automatic installation, a whole bunch of "stuff" was also installed. One, FFDShow, might have to be uninstalled separately. Several other elements might require the same. FFDShow can be tough to remove. It might well be easier to go to a System Restore Point, prior to K-Lite. That choice is yours.

If some of the tentacles of K-Lite still remain, and a System Restore Point does not clean them out, then Harm's advice might come into play. I'm lazy, so I go through a few hoops, prior to a system wipe and reinstall. Harm does that monthly, or it seems so...

Should I install a codec pack at all? I saw other posts listing Morgan and Mainconcept, but after trying those two and only seeing chopping playback on WMP I went back to K-lite?

Here's my personal theory on CODEC's. I install just the ones that I need. Because of the "stuff" that I get handed, I have more than many here. I go to the source, when I can, and even if I have to pay $, I get the exact CODEC that is required. Morgan, MainConcep, Lead, and many others are fine. I use most. I also have DivX for Export to that delivery format, plus many more. Last time that I looked, when G-Spot loaded, my workstation had 339 CODEC's installed. Each has either been needed, or was installed by a particular program. Many are Audio CODEC's, from my Audio editing apps.

I do not get "free" CODEC's, unless I go to the source, and it's free, like Lagarith. If I have the choice between a free, likely hacked, or reverse-engineered version and the source for $, I go to the source in every case. I want CODEC's that work, and do not mess up other things. Some of the free versions are not so kind to the system.

Is it really that bad to use k-lite? Got it from Download.com and AVG shows not threats?

This is not the issue with K-Lite, but it is with some others. The "threat" is from some of the "stuff" that K-Lite also installs.

Is there a standard codec that everyone else uses with PrPro?

The closest things to a "standard" are the MS DV-AVI CODEC and the MainConcept MPEG-2 CODEC. One is installed with your OS, and the other is installed with PrPro. Others are useful, on both ends - Import/editing and Export. Again, above I gave you my philosophy on CODEC's - get only what you need, when you need it, and get as close to the source, as you can.

Hope that this helps.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Need Help Adding QuickTime to Adobe Premiere CS4?
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Harm,

Well said. The two exceptions are when clients hand off "stuff," and you have to deal with it, and then when needed Export is to a CODEC, like DivX. Again, as per my earlier comments - get exactly what you need, when you need it, and get as close to the source, as you can, even if it means a few $'s vs free.

If one shoots 100% of what they edit and Export to DVD-Video/BD, then I agree completely with your list.

Hunt

• 11. Re: Need Help Adding QuickTime to Adobe Premiere CS4?
                              ZOMBIEJON Level 1

Only what is needed.    Got It.

I think a full system wipe should be done, I am having some "issues" as we say in the government with some other software that I installed.

I installed about ten or so software programs recently when trying to convert videos and figure this whole thing out. Long story short I think it would be best to remove all questionable items.

• 12. Re: Need Help Adding QuickTime to Adobe Premiere CS4?
                                the_wine_snob Level 9
                                I think a full system wipe should be done,

Wow, I do not envy you, but I have already mentioned that I am very lazy.

As for file converters, if one needs one of these, I am a strong believer and also a user of DigitalMedia Converter. It's not freeware, but has worked about 99% of the time for me, with all sorts of files. There are plenty of freeware programs, that many love. One thing that I like about DMC is that it does not install any CODEC's, and only uses those installed on the system.

Good luck, and hope that things work well for you.

Hunt