10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2009 5:37 PM by the_wine_snob

Cant import ANYTHING into PPro 4.0 (CS4)

BaronV01

Hi. some months ago i downloaded the trial of premiere pro CS4 and i have only just gotten down to installing it. Installation went fine.

However, now i have created a sequence but i cant import ANYTHING into the file list. Not, avi videos, not m2v MPEG2  or AVCHD not jpeg pictures, not mp3 files. NOTHING! When i try to drag and drop the cursor changes to the red circle with a line across. If i go to file import, i get the box saying importing file, and the bar goes to 100%, but nothing happens.

Ive tried this with differnt sequences, pal ntsc, HD, SD. all the same.

Any help? Id like to try out CS4 before my 30 days are up....

Im running vista x32 and have Kaspersky antivirus installed

• 1. Re: Cant import ANYTHING into PPro 4.0 (CS4)
          the_wine_snob Level 9
          I have created a sequence but i cant import ANYTHING into the file list. Not, avi videos, not m2v MPEG2  or AVCHD not jpeg pictures, not mp3 files. NOTHING!

Well, for most of those Assets, you are out of luck with the trial. It does not support ANYTHING MPEG. The full-paid version does, and with no problems.

Now, let's talk about the two non-MPEG Assets: the file extension, .AVI, can mean almost anything. By itself, it's reather meaningless. Please use G-Spot to tell us all about those .AVI files. The JPEG's are another issue. They should work fine. Tell us a little more about them, please. What size are they in pixel x pixel dimensions? Do they Open in an image viewer? What error message do you get, when you choose Import and navigate to them? Gotta' be something in those details.

Good luck, and please report the details on both the .AVI's and on those JPEG's.

Hunt

• 2. Re: Cant import ANYTHING into PPro 4.0 (CS4)
            BaronV01 Level 1

its sad that the trial has no support of mpeg. The avi file i tried was a divx encoded video in pal (interlaced). i tried two different ones. I tested various jpeg files. all of them can be viewed in the image viewer just fine. one pixel dimension i used was 2288 x 1712 pixels.

I think the problem here is that there is something wrong with the import process. There are no error messages. like i said, all isee is the red circle with a line across as a cursor when i attempt to drag and drop whereas if i use file-> import, it appears that things are normal, except once the file has been processed, i dont see it in the sources workspace, and there is nothing for me to drag into the timeline

• 3. Re: Cant import ANYTHING into PPro 4.0 (CS4)
              BaronV01 Level 1

oh i have updated to 4.01 and there has been no change

• 4. Re: Cant import ANYTHING into PPro 4.0 (CS4)
                Harm Millaard Level 7

When you want to try out a program, it is advisable to do that with material suitable for editing. DV AVI type2 from a video camera, not with delivery formats like DivX, MPEG and the like.

• 5. Re: Cant import ANYTHING into PPro 4.0 (CS4)
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  its sad that the trial has no support of mpeg.

This is due to licensing of the CODEC's from MainConcept. Adobe would have to pay for each trail version, and might not get a sale out of it. The full-paid version has everything included and installed. It is just the trial, that does not.

The avi file i tried was a divx encoded video in pal (interlaced). i tried two different ones.

This was what I had anticipated. DivX and Xvid (open source version) are highly-compressed delivery formats, and first not meant to be edited. While you may have the necessary CODEC's to play these files on your system, PrPro cannot edit with them. Now, you could convert these files to DV-AVI Type II files and they would work well, except for that quality loss due to the DivX encoding in the first place.

tested various jpeg files. all of them can be viewed in the image viewer just fine. one pixel dimension i used was 2288 x 1712 pixels.

This part is odd, indeed. I had expected that these would be giant 12 MP files, or something. These should work perfectly. They are a tad big, but not what I anticipated. PrPro will handle image up to 4000 on the largest dimension. Something is going on. I'll get back to this in a moment.

I think the problem here is that there is something wrong with the import process. There are no error messages. like i said, all isee is the red circle with a line across as a cursor when i attempt to drag and drop whereas if i use file-> import, it appears that things are normal, except once the file has been processed, i dont see it in the sources workspace, and there is nothing for me to drag into the timeline.

OK, let's go through the steps to create a Project, Import Assets and then use them on the Timeline. Let's try this with your JPEG's, though if we had usable AV Assets, things would be more ironclad.

1.) From the opening screen, choose New Project/Sequence. You'll get a dialog screen. Here, you'd choose a Preset that matches your Motion Assets, but we don't have any. [You could also choose Desktop, as a Preset, and establish custom settings.]

2.) In your New Project, with your Sequence's Timeline open, choose File>Import and navigate to your JPEG's. Choose them. They will now appear in your Project Panel. This is where your Project's Assets are listed. Dbl-click on one, and it should open in the Source Monitor. There should also be a tiny thumbnail of it in the Project Panel. If all's OK, go to step 3.

3.) Click in the Timeline Header where it says "Video 1." It will highlight. From the Project Panel, drag one of the JPEG's to Video Track 1.

Did that work?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Cant import ANYTHING into PPro 4.0 (CS4)
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    oh i have updated to 4.01 and there has been no change

This puzzles me, as I did not think that any trial version could be updated. Did you purchase the full-version?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Cant import ANYTHING into PPro 4.0 (CS4)
                      BaronV01 Level 1

ok it seems to be okay now. im more familiar with premiere 2, and i coudnt really find the project panel. so its just my bad....my project panel wasnt open for some reason and so i had no idea what was happening to the imported files.

i have been able to import a divx video and it works just fine. so while it may not be ideal for editing, it can still be done.

thanks everyone!

• 8. Re: Cant import ANYTHING into PPro 4.0 (CS4)
                        BaronV01 Level 1

no i just uninstalled the version i had, borrowed the cd off my friend and installed it as the 30 day trial option.

BTW this is now OT, but has anyone tried Topaz Enhance with PPro CS4? Im interested in upscaling some of my dvds and was wondering if PPro is suitable for this.

• 9. Re: Cant import ANYTHING into PPro 4.0 (CS4)
                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                          ok it seems to be okay now. im more familiar with premiere 2, and i coudnt really find the project panel. so its just my bad

Glad that it's working for you. I understand the Workspace thing. New versions have new defaults. I'd have to go and drag/drop all over the place, because I am used to my Custom Workspaces. When I'm on the laptop without my dual-monitors, I have to hunt for my Panels in a bunch of tabs. On the workstation, they're spead out, as I like 'em. It happens.

I'm still on PrPro 2.0, so my CS4 comments were from reading and from this wonderful forum. That does get me into trouble sometimes, but Harm usually gently nudges me with a, "hey fool, the OP is talking about CS4.1 and not that old-fashioned version that you use. Fool!!!"

i have been able to import a divx video and it works just fine. so while it may not be ideal for editing, it can still be done.

This surprises me to no end! Must be an improvement in CS4, that I have not encountered. I always just convert, when handed one of these. Thanks for the update. Learned something new here.

Thanks for teaching this old-guy something new.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Cant import ANYTHING into PPro 4.0 (CS4)
                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                            no i just uninstalled the version i had, borrowed the cd off my friend and installed it as the 30 day trial option.

I did not know that this was possible. See, I learned two things, just trying to help out with your question! Red-letter day.

has anyone tried Topaz Enhance with PPro CS4? Im interested in upscaling some of my dvds and was wondering if PPro is suitable for this.

Unfortunately, I haven't a clue. Others here can likely help you. What I would suggest is that you post this question separately. The reason for that is that it's another topic, and this thread has quite a few replies, plus the original title. Others migh be more likely to see/respond, if you post to a new thread with a title like, "Topaz Enhance - Questions." I don't think that the MODs would be in opposition to this. Besides, I'd like to learn something else new!!!!

Hunt