4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2009 2:04 AM by dradeke

Dynamic think

therayman Level 1

I am just beginning to assemble a rather complex partially animated indi film and wondered if dynamic link actually works yet. There is still a year of post to go and if necessary I can render everything out in the old fashioned way. I’m working in CS4 in full HD (1920 by 1040) with both stereo and 5.1 soundtracks which will all be published straight to Blue Ray. I work on an x64 Vista dual, dual Xeon with 12GB Ram and 4TB of raided HD with a separate 300GB system drive.

Theoretically I should be able to use dynamic link to assemble the scenes. The material is mostly edited but still being refined with CGI and effects constantly added. Dynamic link should update as we go. Unfortunately when CS4 first came out we had not much or should I say any success using it. The Premier files tended to fall to pieces and crash or hang when re-opened and the After Effects composits shredded at the slightest provocation. Is anyone actually using it with a big project? Have the many problems been fixed yet? Should I wait for the 4.2 update?

• 1. Re: Dynamic think
          therayman Level 1

yes should be 1920 x 1080

• 2. Re: Dynamic think
            Harm Millaard Level 7

The Premier files tended to fall to pieces and crash or hang when re-opened and the After Effects composits shredded at the slightest provocation.

Do you mean scene detection was on when you say fall to pieces? Can you elaborate.

• 3. Re: Dynamic think
              therayman Level 1

Premier files with multiple sequences from other Premier projects tend to

hang when loading.

After Effects dynamic link files do not preview and have to be rendered.

This takes for ever and its quicker to render the media directly from AE

which kind of defeats the point.

I have just done a trial and the same problems are still there. Premier

warns about meta data inconsistencies. Replacing the files with new versions

solves that problem but the project still crashes when outputting. The

Premier file created then hangs when opening. The auto backup file does the

same. I can import other Premier projects and copy and paste the timeline

into one big timeline rather than using the sequences. That works but it

doesn't update which is what I really need.

• 4. Re: Dynamic think
                dradeke Adobe Employee

For a long form piece like you're working on, you should use Dynamic Link to get a comp or bit into shape and then when you feel pretty good about it, render and replace the Dynamic Link with a clip.  DL uses a lot of memory (which is why we recommend 64 bit OS and lots of memory), so it's good to keep that in mind when assembling a large project.

Premiere Pro 4.1 is a pretty good, stable product and we expect 4.2 to be better.  WIth your system and understanding of the above, you should have no troubles.

Hope this helps,

Dennis