asus nvidia geforce 9600 gso

windows vista home premium 64 bit

850 watt power supply

camera i'm using for video taping is a canon vixia hf100

i downloaded the trial version of premiere elements 8

i clicked to open a new project on the first screen that opens up

after that i went to file, then new, then new project

next i went to file, then get media from, then pc files and folders

(i have a 4gb sd memory card plugged into a card reader in my pc)

i navigate through the card contents until i get to the .mts files, i then select a few to load

i hit ok and a box pops up saying "you're trying to import a file from a DVD or removable media, please use media downloader"

so i click ok to start the media downloader

after that i select the files i want, hit ok, and everything's good - the files show up just fine

NOW HERE'S WHERE THE PROBLEM STARTS.....

if i click and drag a file into the sceneline it shows up but the program tends to act sluggish, if i start playing the file the audio skips a bit for the first few seconds then it seems to work fine

the second i click timeline, my whole computer freezes and i have to hit my reset button. 

i've tried several different video files (all .mts files though) and i've had the same result.  i tried downloading the trial of power director 8, put some files in there and it seemed sluggish as well, the second i went to add transitions in that program my computer had the same lock up as i was getting in premiere.

this computer is a new build, it's only a few days old but with all other applications it runs great - especially with gaming, so it would appear that all the hardware is functioning and getting along just fine except for when it comes to video editing.

this is frustrating because i just sold my 17inch macbook pro unibody which was only a dual core instead of a quad core like this machine and imovie ran flawlessly working with the files from my camera.  imovie did auto convert the files to .mov before i could work with them but other than that it was smooth as silk editing on a much less powerful machine.

any ideas?

PS i went to the asrock site and downloaded the most up to date drivers for the realtek audio that comes with the board, and i've had the same results.

• 1. Re: premiere elements 8 crashing, please help
          the_wine_snob Level 9
          this computer is a new build, it's only a few days old but with all other applications it runs great - especially with gaming, so it would appear that all the hardware is functioning and getting along just fine except for when it comes to video editing.

This can be an issue. A computer for NLE work is different from one for gaming, especially advanced gaming. The hardware can be different and the implementation of some of the effects, especially regarding the video driver, can cause major problems. The elements of a system that advanced gaming taxes are different than what an NLE will tax.

As for the crashes, take a look at this ARTICLE. It might help you find "clues" as to what is happening, when the program, or the system crashes. Follow all error and warning messages, paying special attention to any that have links. Follow those to the end.

Next, this ARTICLE on setting up for an NLE session, might be useful.

If you have a recent nVidia video card, look into killing PhysX and 3D Stereovision (check the names, as these are from memory).

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: premiere elements 8 crashing, please help
            dgaiz83 Level 1

UPDATE

i've been pulling my hair out all day long trying to solve this problem.  just before i started messing around with trial versions of pre8 and power director i had been in contact with my ram manufacturer (OCZ) about getting my ram to run at advertised speeds.  they had me tweak settings in my bios and my ram ran at the speeds it should be.  i've been trying turning off different things in the bios all night seeing if i could isolate something.  i got to the point where i set everything back to stock settings then re-adjusted the ram to the ocz recommended settings.  restarted my computer and now it started locking up without me even opening the video editing programs.  so i went back into the bios, reset everything to stock settings (so the ram is now running at 1066mhz instead of 1600mhz) and i figured i'd give the editing programs another shot...just incase this would make a difference.  magically neither program crashed - they weren't running great, pretty good but not completely great so i figure this probably isn't the best ram and i'll swap it out for something else and hope i have some better luck.

thanks for your ideas earlier, i appreciate it.

• 3. Re: premiere elements 8 crashing, please help
              Beltane72

Unfortunately, I cannot help with the crashes as it seems to be a "feature" in Premiere Elements 8, which has been crashing constantly for me and I have a machine that has been running flawlessly since December 2007, including with other Adobe products like Photoshop CS3 and CS4 and Lightroom 2.  I really wish they'd fix PE8.

As for playing back AVCHD video, I recently found that if I adjust the playback settings, I can successfully play back the video without first waiting for "background rendering" to finish.  I right clicked on the preview window and selected "playback settings".  On the dialog that appears, I set both external devices to "none" and unchecked both check boxes.

• 4. Re: premiere elements 8 crashing, please help
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Though written for PrPro, some of these troubleshooting tips from the PrPro-Wiki might prove useful to you.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: premiere elements 8 crashing, please help
                  howardmil18

Ok as everyone has been saying, its time to state the fact clearly and STRONGLY!! This pro

gram was released before it came to full fruition!. Today I am going to get my money back for my ELEMENTS 8 and either go back to 7 or go to CYBERLINK and learn it. This is the last day that I will take a crash with every project that I start. Can you imagine that, they have something going good and RUIN it, thinking who cares about these idiots?. FIVE crashes in and hour and half. Well, as with everything else, reputations are made to be broken.

(And I could not even download my 20 dollar rebate when I went UP to Premiere 8 from 7.

Gooo bye

• 6. Re: premiere elements 8 crashing, please help
                    Scottszy

Dag13

I have a similar build to yours Same CPU, MB, Ram but different GPU (GTX260) and OS (Win 7 64 bit).  I have the same problem with PRE8, it crashes every time I drag photographs to the time line.  I opened a ticket up with tech support and they asked if the program ever worked on my build.  When I told them "no" they closed my case and said I should talk to an IT technician to solve my problem.  They say it is clearly a windows problem since the error is coming from windows and not premiere elements 8.  This seemed very harsh since there are still numerous problems all over this forum dealing with Nvidia driver problems and this is the only program that my system crashes on.  Wish I could help but adobe technical support has abandoned me.

• 7. Re: premiere elements 8 crashing, please help
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      it crashes every time I drag photographs to the time line.

What size are these photographs, in pixel x pixel dimensions?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: premiere elements 8 crashing, please help
                        Scottszy Level 1

Pictures are 720 x 480 but this is not the only time the driver stops responding.  It just failed right before your email appeared and all I was doing was scrolling through the time line.

Actually this is the first time Premiere Elements 8 also recovered after the driver restarted.  PRE8 usually does not recover.

• 9. Re: premiere elements 8 crashing, please help
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, one theory blown. I had expected much larger, but that is as good as it gets.

Thanks for reporting.

Good luck,

Hunt