2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2009 8:20 PM by S&K Enterprises

Inner shadow in a picture frame

S&K Enterprises

I'm trying to create an inner shadow in a transparent area inside a picture frame. I have a 2 layer photoshop file. One is the frame layer and the top layer is the picture. In Photoshop the picture layer has an Inner Shadow effect applied, but what I want to do in AE is zoom (scale) that picture within the frame retaining the inner shadow on the picture as it zooms in within the static frame. Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Inner shadow in a picture frame
          Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

Try this:

1. Import the Photoshop file as Composition - Cropped layers. Make sure you pick the option to have layer styles editable, instead of merged.

2. Select the picture layer and using one of the shape tools in AE (rectangle, rounded rectangle, etc) draw a mask that matches the area of the frame (so that when you scale up the picture the parts outside the frame are hidden).

3. Still with the picture layer selected, Pre-Compose it (Layer > Pre-Compose). In the Pre-Compose dialog, choose the first option ("Leave all attributes"). This will put the picture layer inside the Pre-Comp, but will keep all original attributes (layer styles and the mask, for example) outside.

4. Double click the Pre-Comp to open it. Animate the picture layer with scale.

Go back to the parent Comp and it should show what you expect - the inner shadow remains static, and the mask trims the parts of the picture outside of the frame. The reason why you Pre-Composed it, is because if an effect, mask or layer style is applied to a layer, it will grow with the layer as you increase scale. If you Pre-Compose it, the scale animation takes place before the mask or styles get applied in the rendering pipleline (the picture scaling animation appears to the parent composition as if it was a fixed size animation).

Bear in mind that the picture layer should be larger than the frame layer, so you can scale it down to begin the zoom animation and then scale it up to 100 per cent without it getting pixellated.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Inner shadow in a picture frame
            S&K Enterprises Level 1

Wow! Adolpho, that was great. It works perfectly. I figured that there had to be a way to do it, but I couldn't put the pieces together. Thanks a lot.