7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2009 5:43 PM by ralph.m

New document changes from CS2 to CS3 ?

ralph.m Level 1

I don't use AI often, but in CS2 I did a lot of vector shapes which I then saved for web. Now with CS3, things don't work the same.

1. I used to create a new file, say 800 x 800 px, and I got a box 800 x 800 with a black outline.Now I get a green outline with crop marks. Why? Can I go back to the simple black box?

2. If I did a vecor shape in that black box and clicked Save for Web, I would see just the vector image. Now I see the whole 800 x 800 box in the save for web screen, even if most of it is empty space.

I would be SO grateful if someone could explain how to get the old behavior back, or how to select just the artwork when saving for web.

Really depressed about this. It was so simple before!

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: New document changes from CS2 to CS3 ?
          [scott] Level 6

You are choosing "web" from the new document profile when creating a document. This is what has changed. If you want the appearance of an artboard, then just choose "Print" for the new document profile.

The difference, beyond how the artboard is configured, is the Document Raster Effects setting in the Effect menu. For web it's set to Screen (72ppi) for Print it's set to High (300ppi). This only effects things like drop shadows and glows and other raster effects. Using Save for web though, you won't see any difference.

• 2. Re: New document changes from CS2 to CS3 ?
            ralph.m Level 1

Thanks Scott. The setting said "Custom", but certainly when I chose Print I got the regular black box. (Ah, relief!)

Still wondering what is wrong with Save for the Web using the web profile. It is handy to have the save for web view just contract to the artwork, rather than show the whole artboard. Is there a preference that can change this?

Anyway, at least I can just use the Print setting anyway. Thanks again.

• 3. Re: New document changes from CS2 to CS3 ?
              [scott] Level 6

Yes. In the Save For Web dialog, click the Image Size tab, then check "Clip To Artboard" and click Apply. That will do what it reads -- clip to the artboard bounds.

The profile read "custom" because you started with a web profile then changed the dimensions - creating a custom set up.

The web document profiles now use a 14400x14400 artboard with special (green) guides. To be honest, I don't know why Adobe felt this was needed. It's confusing and frankly, annoying.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: New document changes from CS2 to CS3 ?
                ralph.m Level 1

Thanks again Scott.

The web document profiles now use a 14400x14400 artboard with special (green) guides. To be honest, I don't know why Adobe felt this was needed. It's confusing and frankly, annoying.

That's for sure! Very confusing.

I tried your suggestion of image > clip to artboard. That resized the image to 14400x14400 (which brought up a warning, of course). I was hoping for something like "clip to artwork", as seems to happen by default with the Print setting. Perhaps I have to set the artboard dimensions to the artwork dimensions? Sounds a little hit and miss. I'll experiment around. But anyway, I don't really want to use the Web profile anyway. The Print profile has always worked nicely for me, even with web images.

• 5. Re: New document changes from CS2 to CS3 ?
                  [scott] Level 6

ralph.m wrote:

I tried your suggestion of image > clip to artboard. That resized the image to 14400x14400 (which brought up a warning, of course).

That's becuase the document was still created with a web profile.

Select All, Copy, New Document (Print Profile and set the dimensions), paste, Save For Web.

That will get you where you want to be.

• 6. Re: New document changes from CS2 to CS3 ?
                    ralph.m Level 1

Thanks again Scott.

That's becuase the document was still created with a web profile.

Yes, I was just wondering if there was a way to do the same with the Web profile, but it seems not. The cut and pasted works fine. I'll just work in Print profile from now on. I just don't see the point of the Web profile at all, given the way it performs. I work mainly with the web, but I don't see how those settings would help a web designer at all.

• 7. Re: New document changes from CS2 to CS3 ?
                      [scott] Level 6

Glad I could help.

I think the theory behind the web profiles is that web designers don't use artboards and they just want to see everything without a pasteboard. I've honestly been using Print profiles for web design for over 2 years now. I've never needed the Web profiles for anything.