3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2009 3:42 PM by GordonSmith

textFlow finished parsing event?

radikalFish

Hello

i set the content of a RichText control via

myRichText.textFlow = TextFlowUtil.importFromString(str); (inside the overridden set data funtion inside a custom itemRenderer)

I need to know when it has finished the importing but i can't find the right event for that.

I tried it with the RichText.updateComplete event but it gets fired 2 times in a row  which is not optimal for my situation.

(tracing the content of the RichText inside the handler function prints 2 times the same result as well - so nothing has changed actually).

--

Other thing:

the TextFlowUtil.importFromString(str) seems to be very sensible.

i tried to import a str with a spelling mistake in one if its <br/> tags.

the mistake was </br> instead of <br/>

I got the an Error #1085 runtime error: TextFlow must be closed with </TextFlow>

That's a little confusing, i would expect that it skips this "</br>" literal.

It's very hard to find the error expecially when it's not you how writes the xml where the str comes from..

(i've put the import in a try catch clause for a workaround but the text for this item is lost)

Is this a wanted behavior or should this be treatend as a bug?

so long

r.F.

P.S.

I'am using build 4.0.0.10708

• 1. Re: textFlow finished parsing event?
          David_F57 Level 5

Hi

did you try to add the update_complete listener to myRichText.textFlow  or myRichText ?

David.

• 2. Re: textFlow finished parsing event?
            radikalFish Level 1

it's on the RichText control directly

<s:RichText id="rT" updateComplete="onUpdateText(event)"....

i tried to add a "UpdateCompleteEvent.UPDATE_COMPLETE" to the textFlow as well

like:

rT.textFlow.addEventListener(UpdateCompleteEvent.UPDATE_COMPLETE, onFlowUpdate);

but it never gets invocted...

r.T.

• 3. Re: textFlow finished parsing event?
              GordonSmith Level 4

There is no "textFlow finished parsing event"... when you call TextFlowUtil.importFromString() the String has already been parsed into a TextFlow by the time the method call returns the TextFlow to you.

But the RichText must later render the TextFlow into TextLines. If you're using a recent version of the Flex 4 SDK in which RichText is a UIComponent, you should get an updateComplete event after this happens. If you aren't getting it, please file a bug. But in earlier versions of the Flex 4 SDK, RichText was a GraphicElement, and GraphicElements don't dispatch the "lifecycle events" that UIComponents do.

Gordon Smith

Adobe Flex SDK Team

1 person found this helpful