3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2009 4:15 AM by Kees van Daalen

[CS3 JS] find words in dictionary

Kees van Daalen

I'm trying to find a way to break up words in syllables.

The dictionary can break up words but I cannot make a reference to the dictionary to find a word and its hyphenation.

From the hyphenation I should be able to get the syllables.

It is possible to get the hyphenation exceptions, but I need the hyphenations from the custom dictionary.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Kees

• 1. Re: [CS3 JS] find words in dictionary
          [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

No go. I tried that myself :-) there simply is no interface to the hyphenation modules for any language (nor for the spell check, which might have come in handy as well!).

You could download a hyphenated word list and use that for whatever purpose you need it. Down-sides: (a) you won't know how ID will break the word, as it may have different rules; (b) ID can break unknown words using rules, a word list cannot; (c) ID uses one-, two- and three-priority hyphens.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: [CS3 JS] find words in dictionary
            [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

[Addendum] If you only need to be able to manually find breaking points, you could use an implementation of Knuth-Liang's algorithm. I wrote one in C, and it did rather good for, ah, perhaps 80% of words. For a purely rule-based system, that qualifies as "not too bad"

There are lots of free implementations; this one http://code.google.com/p/hyphenator/ is in javascript. (It is targeted at web pages but the basics should be transferable to your script.)

• 3. Re: [CS3 JS] find words in dictionary
              Kees van Daalen Level 1

The hyphenator does the trick once I put the HTML-DOM stuff in a try-catch-block.

However the ExtendScript editor crashes when I use words that contain a circonflex.

I'll probably vreate an exceptions list to deal with those words.

Thanks a lot!