8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2009 11:50 AM by Mylenium

CS4 Not Seeing All Cores

Rossiter Level 1

AE CS4 is only "seeing" 4 of the 8 available cores in the Preferences/Memory & Multiprocessing Menu.

However during stress test rendering, all 8 cores show activity in Task Manager/Performance.

Any ideas?

Many thanks, Linda

i7 PC base unit, inc i7-920 CPU, 6GB RAM, 500GB system disk, 1TB data disk (plus 2x eSATA ports for external disks), DVD-RW, BluRay-RW, 896MB 275GTX graphics card, Vista 64 Business, Matrox RTX2 card, CS4 Production Suite

• 1. Re: CS4 Not Seeing All Cores
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

For the purpose of allocating RAM for Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously multiprocessing, After Effects only counts physical processor cores, not virtual (logical) cores that are available through hyperthreading. So, if you have a four-core machine that can act like an eight-core machine because of hyperthreading, you'll see this apparent discrepancy.

• 2. Re: CS4 Not Seeing All Cores
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

All other considerations aside, you are not even able to feed all of the 4 cores memory wise, so any discussions about missing cores on HT systems can be probably considered moot....

Mylenium

• 3. Re: CS4 Not Seeing All Cores
              Rossiter Level 1

Ok, perhaps I'm looking at this the wrong way.

I need some memory help.

I wrote the following on the Premiere forum, but got no answer. You're both quick to respond, so please can you read this, as my problem is a mix of AE & Ppro.:

Using a new cs4 system, I start a new 1080i project.

I dynamically link to a new AE file. Within the AE file I put one 4mb jpg running over 20 seconds, and save.

Back to Ppro, I put the AE comp on the timeline.

At this point, Task Manager shows that PPro is using around 0.5 gb ram.

I render the 20 seconds of the Ppro timeline which has the AE clip.

After rendering, Task Manager shows PPro as using almost 2GB ram.

But this ram doesn't seem to get freed up again... so after a few minutes more working, I start to get ram warning messages.

Soon after, Ppro shuts down.

I've tried changing the "Optimise rendering for Performance / Memory, in Ppro, but this doesn't have much effect.

So - I've got a new system with loads more memory than my old XP cs3 system - yet the performance in PPro & AE is nothing like as good.

After rendering, I can save, close and open the file again - it's marked green for rendered, and the memory is back to 0.5gb.

But I shouldn't have to close the programme between every render, I'm sure.

Background info and rant: this was a new system which was delivered to our studio last week.

Eventually tearing my hair out this afternoon, I've written to the pc builder saying I want to return it, and to Adobe asking to return CS4.

But if you can solve this problem I'll happily go back to them both and say it's fixed.

I wrote on the Support forum, which says I'll get a reply in 3 days.

I phoned support three times, each time being put on hold for 20 minutes before being cut off.

So suggestions very welcome to get what should be an awesome system up to scratch.

Many thanks, Linda

i7 PC base unit, inc i7-920 CPU, 6GB RAM, 500GB system disk, 1TB data disk (plus 2x eSATA ports for external disks), DVD-RW, BluRay-RW, 896MB 275GTX graphics card, Vista 64 Business, Matrox RTX2 card, CS4 Production Suite

• 4. Re: CS4 Not Seeing All Cores

Have you run all the latest updates in both apps? A number of issues regarding DynamicLink have been addressed in those, which may include your memory problem. Another question might also relate to what footage formats you use. Could just be some memory hole in MediaCore or so. Do you apply any additional effects? Those could also to be blamed....

Mylenium

• 5. Re: CS4 Not Seeing All Cores
                  Rossiter Level 1

Yes, I downloaded 800mb of updates - now all the CS4 suite is showing as "No updates available"

The test I was doing was with no footage - the Ppor project was empty, and there was just a jpg file AE.

I used no effects - just scale.

Please keep asking.....

Linda

• 6. Re: CS4 Not Seeing All Cores
                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8
                    > I phoned support three times, each time being put on hold for 20 minutes before being cut off.

That's not good. In this blog post, I recommend the best ways to communicate with Adobe regarding bug reports, feature requests, and technical support. I mention a way that we can help you to escalate an isue if you're running into a wall with our Technical Support service. (Note that the folks answering questions on this forum are mostly others users volunteering their time and a few Adobe folks, but not Technical Support staff.)

Back to the details of your problem...

You've got 6GB of RAM. Premiere Pro is taking 2GB or so, and the OS needs some, too. So, make sure that you're not trying to use more than a few GB in After Effects. I'd set RAM To Leave For Other Applications to 3GB and turn Render Mutliple Frames Simultaneously off.

You don't want to force After Effects to try to use multiple cores and a lot of RAM if you don't have very much RAM (which you don't). If you do, then you'll force the applications to swap RAM to disk as they fight over it, and you'll starve each process of memory so that none of them has enough to render a single frame.

You may think that you got a great computer, but the thing to know about After Effects is that it loves RAM. 3-4GB per (physical) core is a good idea on a 64-bit OS. That's 12-16GB for a four-core machine. With 6GB, you'll be using one or two cores at a time, and that's if you're not also running Premiere Pro at the same time.

• 7. Re: CS4 Not Seeing All Cores
                      Rossiter Level 1

Thank you for your advice.

<<you've got 6GB of RAM. Premiere Pro is taking 2GB or so, and the OS needs some, too. So, make sure that you're not trying to use more than a few GB in After Effects. I'd set RAM To Leave For Other Applications to 3GB and turn Render Mutliple Frames Simultaneously off.>>

I'm now back with 12GB ram.

Question 1: Can you recommend the best settings now?

(The system builder had six x 2gb chips to hand. He's gone to source 6 x 4GB, so I may ask for more settings next week)

As it is, I can now dynamically link between PPro and AE without either crashing.

Question 2: When I render the linked AE clip in Ppro, there's a big increase in memory use. This is fine, as I now have the memory to cope.

But this memory is never released.

Let's say that after a render it's on 6.5gb used.

If I purge All in AE, I gain about 1gb. Which of the two programmes is holding the rest, and how do I release it? Restarting Ppro seems to be the quick answer, but obviously not a smart one.

(btw: Back to my very first question, I now understand I have 4 real cores pretending to be 8, so AE is correct in seeing 4.)

Thanks, Linda

• 8. Re: CS4 Not Seeing All Cores

Memory not being released would point to a more systemic issue. I'd definitely watch it closely. DynamicLink renders are generally very memory hungry, though, so depending on the situation, this may still be normal. What definitely should help, is to save the Premiere project after such a render. This should force any content still held in memory be commited to disk as Premiere preview/ render cache files and free up memory. Manually purging unnecessary cahces in Premiere may also help. I wouldn't really mess with AE's memory settings, but you can of course assign 2 processes for multiprocessing rendering. I would not use all 4 in a DL scenario, except when you really can get those full 24 GB, but even then you will have to consider that Premiere will want its own primary core to guarantee smooth playback.

Mylenium