7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2009 12:46 PM by chriscatalano

How to extend the size of a layer?

chriscatalano

Hi all,

Hopefully this is an easy one, but I think I'm just thinking about it wrong.  I'm animating the movement of one part of a photo.  I duped the photo layer, masked out the subject I want on the copy layer and have animated its position over time.  Pretty straight forward.  The problem is that as the item moves its edges are seen.  I wanted to just use the clone stamp to add a little more to the image but obviously you can't paint or stamp past the edge of the layer.  So I was trying to figure out how to 'extend' the bounds of the layer a little so that I can fill in the missing area.

Thanks for any input.

-Chris

• 1. Re: How to extend the size of a layer?
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

There are a few ways to tackle this. The one that springs first to my mind is to precompose the layer and make the size of the precomposition a little bit larger than the size of the layer. Then, you can paint with the Clone Stamp tool on the precomposition layer rather than on the photograph layer.

• 2. Re: How to extend the size of a layer?
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

If the structure near the edges is simple enough, using effects liek Minimax or Directional Blur to repeat the pixels may also offer some simple way out. Done on a duplicate, this can be enough. At any rate, once you pre-compose, any of the solutions offered so far will be applicable.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: How to extend the size of a layer?
              chriscatalano Level 1

Hi Todd,

Thanks for the reply.  Unfortunately, I'm not having any success with this method.  Here's what I have:

Original photo of kids with ball at playground.  Ball is at lower left but partially cut off. Photo is on layer 1.

I duplicate layer 1.

Rename layer 2 to 'ball' and layer 1 to 'bg'

On ball layer I mask out the ball and then animate its position over the length of the clip.

When I precompose the ball layer (I tried both moving the attributes and leaving them as is) I get the new composition 'ball comp 1'.  I open up ball comp 1 and change the composition settings to make the width taller.

So far, so good.  Now I'm trying to follow your suggestion to then paint on the precomposition layer.  Do you mean to go back to the original composition where the new pre-comp layer is and try to paint on it?  If so, that doesn't work.  If I select the Clone tool and try to paint the layer actually gets moved rather than painted on.  If I open the new 'ball comp 1' composition and try to paint there it doesn't work either. And if I open up the layer in that comp that has the ball in it and try to paint there, the edges are still the original edges. 

Any idea where I went wrong?

THanks,
              Chris

• 4. Re: How to extend the size of a layer?
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8
                > Do you mean to go back to the original composition where the new pre-comp layer is and try to paint on it?  If so, that doesn't work. If I select the Clone tool and try to paint the layer actually gets moved rather than painted on.  If I open the new 'ball comp 1' composition and try to paint there it doesn't work either.

I think that the part that you're missing is that you need to open the precomposition layer in the Layer panel and paint on it there.

So...

1) Precompose photograph layer.

2) Change the composition settings for the new nested composition (which I'll call "precomposed photo") to make it a little bigger.

3) Navigate back to the parent composition (your main composition).

4) [This is the step that I think that you missed.] Open the "precomposed photo" _layer_ in the Layer panel by Alt-double-clicking it.

5) Paint away.

To reiterate a conceptual point: When you precompose a layer, you replace it with a layer that uses as its source a new, nested composition. That new composition contains your original layer. You can paint on a precomposition layer the same way as you paint on any other layer---in the Layer panel.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: How to extend the size of a layer?
                  chriscatalano Level 1

Hi Todd,

Yes, that was the problem.  I wasn't opening the new pre-comp in the layer panel, I was still opening it up in a composition window.

But there still is a problem.  I'm able to increase the size of the pre-comp and I'm able to use the Clone Stamp on the newly created space.  However, it seems like the 'paint' of the stamps only holds for the 1st 2 frames.  After that it disappears.  If I move the timeline marker in the Layer panel of the precomp I can see everything disappear.  I know I sometimes paint in effects when my main timeline marker is somewhere in the middle of the timeline, and wonder why the paint isn't there at the beginning. But this is not the case here.

Any ideas why the cloned image area doesn't hold past the first few frames?

Thanks,
                  Chris

• 6. Re: How to extend the size of a layer?
                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Paint strokes have durations. Yours must be set to one or two frames. Read "Paint tools and strokes".

• 7. Re: How to extend the size of a layer?
                      chriscatalano Level 1

No, its not the duration. If I twirl down the Effects/Paint on the precomp layer I can see all of the stokes are the full length of the timeline. I think what's happening is that the 'paint' is not moving with the rest of the image.  I can see one part of the new paint start to get covered over as the image starts animating. 

I'm going to attach screen shots of the first four frames from the Layer panel. You can see that the boy on the right has had one of his legs extended a bit.  And the two leftmost ropes on top have been lengthened.  As we move the timeline marker forward in the Layer Panel, you can see what happens. (Actually this forum only allows 3 attachments, so the third frame isn't posted)