24 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2009 5:30 AM by Harm Millaard

Crashing PPro CS4

Deaf-Danny Level 1

I can get past the splash screen and project options New, Open or help. Then whatever i select it shows the workspace then closes itself down.

My PC specifations meets the maximun requirements apart from Vista - as I am an XP Pro.

I have the master collection CS4 i installed Reader Pro, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Flash, Encore and Premiere Pro with all the updates.

I wanted to uninstall and reinstall it now I can't - nothing installs or uninstall.

I had errors with it something about the fonts. The error message doesn't appear anymore.

Why can't Adobe not make a Product that actually works.

• 1. Re: Crashing PPro CS4
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Danny,

I wanted to uninstall and reinstall it now I can't - nothing installs or uninstall.

That does not bode well at all. Have you tried a Repair Installation? That would be my first course of action.

In the meantime, take a look at this ARTICLE. There might be some tips worth pursuing to get your computer set up for an NLE session.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - meeting the stated minimum requirements might not quite mean that everything will work, depending on other aspects of the computer, other programs and the setup. Please list your system's specs., as someone might quickly see an issue, beyond that inability to uninstall/install.

• 2. Re: Crashing PPro CS4
            the_wine_snob Level 9

In the meantime, this ARTICLE might give you some ideas on finding "clues," as to what is happening, when your program crashes.

This ARTICLE might have useful tips on troubleshooting. Follow the link to the PrPro-Wiki. I'd also bookmark the Wiki, as it has a ton of great articles and tutorials for later, when you get PrPro up and running.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Crashing PPro CS4
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Danny,

One quick question: did you ever have the trial version of PrPro installed on this computer?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Crashing PPro CS4
                Deaf-Danny Level 1

Hi The slob

I have run the 'Clean, Lean & Mean Editing Machine - One Workflow' before i even started only nothing is running in the Background. except PPro CS4.

I did not get BSOD or real major System Crashes with PPro CS4.

Also i never got the trial version.

Second of all heres my computers Specs: Targa AN64 3700+ but running on Windows XP Pro SP3

Hope i can get to the bottom of this all my drivers are updated too.

• 5. Re: Crashing PPro CS4
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Danny,

At the time that the program crashes, or hangs, does Event Viewer give you any error, or warning messages in either the System, or Applications tabs? There should be something showing. Some of those messages will likely be highly cryptic code, that no one understands, but some might actually help with pinpointing what is going on at that moment with your computer, especailly any of the messages with links. Please follow any/all links to see if you can gather any clues from them.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Crashing PPro CS4
                    Deaf-Danny Level 1

I did not get any messages or error in the event viewer around the time i opened the Premiere Pro CS4.

So i can't really see what the problem is.

• 7. Re: Crashing PPro CS4
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

So, you are saying that you launch the program and it just shuts down, with no warning or error messages in either System or in Applications?

Do you see the message that PrPro is opening? This will have to be there.

What else is launching, accessing at that same time? There might be something coincidental happening at that very moment. One user found that Roxio was also launching a "sniffer" file, and it was getting in the way of an Adobe program.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Crashing PPro CS4
                        Deaf-Danny Level 1

Yeah just shuts down. i don't see any message that it is open.

I have Roxio Media Manager i think that could be the problem.

• 9. Re: Crashing PPro CS4
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

If you have no entries, then I'd look at the bottom of that article that I linked to - "The Case of the Unexplained."

That is the best that I can offer - sorry.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Crashing PPro CS4
                            Harm Millaard Level 7

Danny, have a look here and specially  the end. There are requests for Speedfan, Process Explorer and DXDIAG info. If you need help quickly...Guideline for posting an effective question

• 11. Re: Crashing PPro CS4
                              Deaf-Danny Level 1

Hello Experts,

I am pleased to tell you that its working and now shutting down on me. It was the Roxio Media Manager 9 that came with the Blackberry Desktop Manager.

So thank you so much for your help Kudos to you both for doing a great job better than Adobe.

Cheers again

• 12. Re: Crashing PPro CS4
                                Deaf-Danny Level 1

Roxio Media Manager 9 from the Blackberry Desktop Software caused the problem removing the software did the job.

• 13. Re: Crashing PPro CS4
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Danny,

Glad that you got it sorted and for reporting the cause.

Both Roxio and Nero love to install "sniffer" and indexing/cataloging modules, along with their DVD/BD burner killing (at least for Adobe) modules, InCD and DLA. I strongly recommend that anyone installing either of these programs does a full Custom Install, and omit much of the "stuff."

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: Crashing PPro CS4
                                    Deaf-Danny Level 1

It is back again . I worked on my Project for an hours and loads of errors came up Photoshop Server stop working and Windows - No disk

Now its not working is there any way i can do a full fresh install of Adobe items, with nothing left behind when uninstall them.

Regards

Deaf

p.s. Not a sight of Roxio Media Manager or Nero anywhere.

• 15. Re: Crashing PPro CS4
                                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Reread # 10.

• 16. Re: Crashing PPro CS4
                                        Deaf-Danny Level 1

heres info you need :

speedfan.JPG

Hope this all helps

• 17. Re: Crashing PPro CS4
                                          Harm Millaard Level 7

Danny,

Thanks for posting these results. I had a quick look at the results and I'm not surprised you have problems.

First, your temperatures are very worrisome. It may be your configuration of Speedfan but a GPU temperature of 83 degrees, one core at 82 degrees (while the other core is at 44 degrees) and a temp3 at 71 degrees is not healthy. When looking at the different voltages on your rails, that is another indication of bad health. Bad Attributes and Bad Thresholds also do not bode well.

When looking at your ProcExp results, you have a lot of crap running that should be killed:

livesrv.exe

vsserv.exe

scardsvr.exe

AppleMobileDeviceService.exe

mDNSResponder.exe

jqs.exe

iPodService.exe

arrakis3.exe

mHotkey.exe

iTunesHelper.exe

bdagent.exe

seccenter.exe

jusched.exe

ISUSPM.exe

GoogleCalendarSync.exe

Chrome.exe

GoogleCrashHandler.exe

and maybe nvraidservice.exe and CNYHKey.exe

Your video driver is way outdated. 7/20/2005. Same applies to your audio driver.

Get rid of the USB camera with it's driver from 2004. Better lose the Hauppauge WinTV  as well.

You seem to have made quite a collection of DivX, Xvid, Line21 and other Direct Show filters.

Looking at all these factors combined, I'm not surprised you have problems.

I suggest you start from scratch, reformat your disk, reinstall your OS and Programs, check that your temperatures are better (maybe clean your fans and coolers very good) and recheck your voltages. Your PSU could be at fault here.

• 18. Re: Crashing PPro CS4
                                            Deaf-Danny Level 1

I just started from Scratch and cleaned 3 weeks ago.

BDAgent needs to be on its my AV and FW.

mHotkey.exe+CNYHKey.exe = keyboard.

Where can i get all the latest drivers?

• 19. Re: Crashing PPro CS4
                                              Harm Millaard Level 7

At the nVidia site and the Realtek site. Look under Support/Downloads.

• 20. Re: Crashing PPro CS4
                                                Deaf-Danny Level 1

Done and did a fresh install and all works well again. Now for a different problem Encore installation sticks at 11% of the 2nd disc while installing - Encore CS4 alone. How long should it normally take to install it alone?

• 21. Re: Crashing PPro CS4
                                                  spamnchips Level 1

If it helps at all I found that my CS4 kept crashing and losing all the previous saves.  I traced it to the Comodo Firewall software I was running in the background.  I have since deleted the software and gone back to the Windows Firewall and everything works OK.

• 22. Re: Crashing PPro CS4
                                                    Harm Millaard Level 7

It is advisable to turn off antivirus, antispam and similar software during installations.

• 23. Re: Crashing PPro CS4
                                                      Deaf-Danny Level 1

Turning it off AV and firewall and risking your pc to be effect is a big NO for me. Adobe would not allowed that either does any other software companies.

I had that Comodo software situation before. Caused me a serious problem finally got round to installing encore from my dads mates disc - using my serial number. If that happens again is it possible to download the trial version and put my serial number in?

• 24. Re: Crashing PPro CS4
                                                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Turning it off AV and firewall and risking your pc to be effect is a big NO for me.

How can that happen when you are not connected while editing? If you are on-line during editing, well that is your choice and risk. It is just bad practice.