11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2009 8:21 AM by the_wine_snob

Adobe Premiere 8.0 - jerky playback

premiere-newbee Level 1

Guys, here are my computer specs. Should I have a problem with resource requirements?

Base processor

Core 2 Quad Q6700 (K) 2.66 GHz

• 1066 MHz front side bus
      • Socket 775

Chipset

Intel G33 Express

Motherboard

• Manufacturer: Asus
      • Motherboard Name: IPIBL-LB
      • HP/Compaq motherboard name: Benicia-GL8E

Memory

Component

Attributes

Memory Installed

6 GB

Speed supported

PC2-6400 MB/sec

Type

240 pin, DDR2 SDRAM

Hard drive

• 750 GB SATA 3G (3.0 Gb/sec)
      • 7200 rpm

Video Graphics

GeForce 9500 GS

• 512 MB GDDR2 memory
      • I/O Ports: HDMI, VGA, dual-link DVI
        • 1. Re: Adobe Premiere 8.0 - jerky playback
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You've certainly got enough power!

But much depends on what you're trying to edit. For miniDV or HDV, you're all set. For AVCHD, you should also have no problems.

The problems comes in when people try to edit non-standard video, like video from still cameras or Flip camcorders, or use photos larger than 1000x750 pixels in their projects.

You also don't mention your operating system. XP and, from all reports, Windows 7 should fly with this program with your hardware. Vista should be fully updated and could use a bit of tweaking so that you're not leaking resources on unnecessary tasks.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415316?tstart=0

And this will enhance RAM usage with Vista (also from the FAQs to the right of this forum).

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/446316?tstart=0

There are also a couple of background features Premiere Elements 8 adds that, if you're having problems, might be worth shutting off.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/498764?tstart=0

You don't say if you're asking about problems rhetorically or if you're having real problems running the program. But the point is that there are any number of factors that can affect your performance.

• 2. Re: Adobe Premiere 8.0 - jerky playback
            premiere-newbee Level 1

Thank you Steve,

My OS is Windows Vista.

My video camera is Sony HDRXR500V that records in Full HD 1080i with aspect 16:9 in dolby 5.1ch.

I import videos to the PC from the camera by connecting the two by USB and simply copying all AVCHD video files into a new directory on the PC.

When I start a new project in Premiere 8.0 I chose preset AVCHD/FullHD 1080i 30 5.1 channel

I import the files to Premiere through Get Media - "PC files and folders". I highlight all of the files in the folder for the project (about 150 video files 5-15sec each) and drop them into sceneline. When I add the very first transition and try to playback the result in the monitor view,  the video is jerky, stutters, and even pixilates.  My monitor is HD enableded 22" LCD , connected to the video card by HDMI cable.

One thing to note is that I continuously see "rendering process" in the bottom right corner during my playback.  

• 3. Re: Adobe Premiere 8.0 - jerky playback

On the timeline above your video, you probably see a red line. This is an indication that the program needs to render your video files before it can play them back at full quality. This is why the program is trying to render them for you.

The best thing to do would be to wait for the program to finish the rendering or press Enter and render it yourself. (The red line will turn green when it's done.)

If that background rendering function gets too annoying, you can turn it off by unchecking the option under Edit/Preferences. But I still recommend you render manually as you work. Otherwise the program will play a "soft render" which is usually of lower resolution.

Have you followed up on the other links I posted? They will be helpful.

Unfortunately, the forum ate the one link that explained how to turn off background rendering, so I'll have to repair that one soon.

Meantime, when you go to Edit/Preferences to turn off background rendering, also set Timeline Scrolling to Page Scroll. Smooth Scrolling moves the timeline continually as you play your video, which also wastes resources.

• 4. Re: Adobe Premiere 8.0 - jerky playback
                premiere-newbee Level 1

Thanks Steve.

I will try this tonight and report back.

• 5. Re: Adobe Premiere 8.0 - jerky playback

Here is the new link to the FAQ on turning off background functions.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/503270

• 6. Re: Adobe Premiere 8.0 - jerky playback
                    premiere-newbee Level 1

Steve,

I tried all your suggested tips without a step to improvement.  Besides, should I be really worried abt  freeing up some memory to let PE breathe better? I felt I had enough memory (6Gb) to generously run all my applications.   I do not want to kill my Side-bar, I love it. Besides, it only takes 24Mb of Ram comparing to 250Mb for PE Analyzer. 

It has been now 8 days since I have been unsuccessfully trying to burn a simple project. I am two projects behind now.  I am starting to hate PE 8.0 with its annoyance of rendering and being extremely slow.  I tried turning off the analyzer and rendering and now cannot start PE at all. It freezes during the project opening.

Before that happened, I did manage to try to play around making a 15sec movie made of three AVCHD video files and 2 simple transitions. I did not want to waste a BD disc so I chose to export the file to a PC so I could play the result on my HD TV using a memory stick. The best quality available was ”Playback on PC or DVD burning” at only 720x480 frame size? Am I wrong? W-T-Hell?!?! What happened to 1920×1080 frame size for HD movies? Anyway, I exported the file, and… picture quality was simply @#@$%#%hIT.

I do not know how else I can describe my utter frustration and disappointment for the wasted money and more importantly time, trying to figure out this new soft which is apparently full of bugs. Obviously I cannot just sit around and wait for the soft to start magically working on me. I was even thinking abt re-installing the soft but not sure if I could afford 20mins installation time, my patience as at its critical limit. For now my virdict is that Adobe Premiere Elements sucks!!!!!

• 7. Re: Adobe Premiere 8.0 - jerky playback

I definitely recommend you make Adobe aware of your feelings. You can contact them by clicking the Contact button at the very top of this web page.

Sorry for your frustrations.

• 8. Re: Adobe Premiere 8.0 - jerky playback
                        premiere-newbee Level 1

I would like to share some recent progress and new problems with PE8.

Firstly, I made a new short-cut for PE and run PE.EXE i/o PE 8.0. EXE. This saves the time on avoiding the Welcome menu. Thanks for the tip.

Secondly I turned off rendering....

Now....

Two nights ago I decided to import all my videos (total length is about 60mins) into the library. I noticed that after I tried to highlight all the clips and drag them into PE timeline, my PE seemed to have frozen.  I/O restarting the computer I let it be. I came back the folowing night, all my files were in the timeline ready for effects and transitions. I suppose it just takes PE some time to "process" the imported videos?

Anyways, I tried to playback some clips in the monitor and the video was jerky.  I ignored that fact and tried to add a dozen of random transitions here and there. It was very hard to fine tune the transitions because of the jerky playback.  OK, I then went to SHARE and export to PC. I exported to a file in HD preset: 1080i, 30fps, etc. I left my computer along again and returned the following morning. The export was successful; took approx 2.5hrs.

A new file was created on my desktop with extension .m2t.  No associated software was assigned to playback this new file so I went to "Open With" and chose Windows Media Player. I think I have a 9 or a 10 ver. It played well, the sound was good, video was sharp (no jerkiness), transitions sucked as they were not fine tuned due to the reasons explained above.  The .m2t file was measured at 4.7Gb. I brought a 8Gb CFlash card from my SLR and connected it to the PC via USB. When I tried to copy that .m2t file and paste it to my card, which had almost double the required space, I received a prompt saying the file was too large to copy.

I then tried to copy that file to my HDD sony camera, with 120Gb of available space - the same result. The error is - the file is too large to copy. What the heck? How can I test this file for a playback on my TV if I cannot copy it to any external storage device.

p.s. I am trying to find my most favorite transitions: "No Effect", "Cross Fade". I do not seem to find the two from the list.

• 9. Re: Adobe Premiere 8.0 - jerky playback
                          VDOSurfer Level 3

Here's what I understand..

Problems:

1. HD plays back jittery in timeline

2. File size issue (weird one!)

3. Missing transitions..

Here's what I propose..

1. HD "will" play back jittery in timeline, if the file does not match the project settings in its properties. To get the file to playback properly on the timeline, we have to get it to "match" the project settings. That is exactly what rendering does. This time around, in PE8, they introduced Background rendering so that this matching-thing happens in the background; just to ensure that it happens and it does not interfere.. They didn't do too well with the interfere part I agree though. You also mentioned that after exporting it, you were able to play it back with WMP fine. That means rendering DID solve the first problem, or the problem as I see it.

2. This is tricky. I can only suggest you do a file system scan for this. There could be loose ends on a file within a cluster that makes the OS "think" that the file is bigger than it actually is. A "thorough" file system scan could help. I would be really interested in knowing what happens after this scan.

3. Cross fade is not a transition in PE7 or PE8. Did you mean cross dissolve? That exists.. Or if it is an online transition (the ones where you'd have to register before using them), they could've just replaced with something that they think is better.

Hope something helps.

• 10. Re: Adobe Premiere 8.0 - jerky playback
                            nealeh Level 5

premiere-newbee wrote:

The .m2t file was measured at 4.7Gb. I brought a 8Gb CFlash card from my SLR and connected it to the PC via USB. When I tried to copy that .m2t file and paste it to my card, which had almost double the required space, I received a prompt saying the file was too large to copy.

I then tried to copy that file to my HDD sony camera, with 120Gb of available space - the same result. The error is - the file is too large to copy. What the heck?

Weird. Try copying it to another folder on your PC and see what happens. You could also check that the file is not locked by using the excellent tool 'Unlocker'.

Cheers,
                            --
                            Neale
                            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 11. Re: Adobe Premiere 8.0 - jerky playback
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

The file size seems about right, as the OP started with 60 mins. of footage and cut it down from there. Then, MPEG compression was used on the < 60" footage. I would go to Windows Explorer, and Rt-click on this file, choosing Properties, and see what is said about the file there. The fact that it's HD dimensions would also be about right, as SD material would be < 3GB for that approximate Duration, even at a high bit-rate. What bit-rate was used to Export this file?

As for Copying, Windows Indexing can "lock" a file, and one of 4.7GB could stay locked for a long time, as that program searches it for keywords, etc. I turn Windows Indexing OFF for all of my HDD's, to keep it from locking any files, while it works. Afterall, it cannot get any useful info from an AV file, though it tries. Usually, one can Copy, just not Move, Delete, etc., a file that is being indexed by Windows, and there is almost always an error message to the effect that "the requested process cannot be completed, because the file is in use by another application," or similar.

Good luck,

Hunt