vista home premium 64bit.

750w corsair power supply

radeon hd 4870 1gb video card

asus p6t deluxe 1366 MB

intel core i7 920 2.66.

gskill 6gb 240-pin ddr3

western digital 1tb hd for storage.

dvd burner

1western digital velociraptor 150gb 10,000 HD for probgrams.

here is my qustion {s}, i just purchased 6 more gb of same memory and another 1tb HD for system cache, etc.  is this a significant improment from what i have? and is there anything else, within a reasonable budget {couple hundred} to continue to upgrade?

any news of windows 7, is it worth upgrading to for the system and programs or should one wait?

input devices such as just the mouse and keyboard, is there anything else that is a necessity or highly recommended such as wacom intuos4 or antyhign else?

i turned indexing off on my computer, do lile things like these really help that much?

my cpu is running at about 42-44 C per core, is this average, good, bad? what can i do to improve these besides just the fan and stuff.   and  I don't know much about overclocking, is it worth overclocking and do yo uhave any useful links to doing so?

• 1. Re: computer setup + various questions {settings, devices, suggestions, etc}
          Harm Millaard Level 7

The increased memory will definitely pay off in performance, especially when using DL to EN or AE.

I would as a first step create a fixed pagefile of 8 GB (min=max) on your D drive, so it is unfragmented and the very first file.

I would check your shadow storage settings, because Vista reserves far more than you would want to, wasting unnecessary space.

Go to START/CMD and at the DOS prompt, type in: vssadmin list shadowstorage

If the figure mentioned is more than 5 GB, type in: vssadmin resize shadowstorage /for=C: /on=C: /maxsize=5GB

Then exit the command prompt.

Turning off indexing makes a significant difference.

Leave overclocking alone for the moment. See how you fare with this new system. If you run into bottlenecks, maybe add another disk. Then if you need more speed, I'll lead you through the basic steps of overclocking, but I really suggest to get a feel for your system first.