12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2009 8:09 AM by the_wine_snob

Saving Clips

jadoti

Hi All,

I'm new to Adobe Premiere Elements (version 8) and new to video editing all together, so pardon the ignorance in my question.  I've googled for a solution, but not I'm not finding one.  Either that or it's not standing out to me...

I have a shot that I took all at one time, no stopping, no pausing.  I imported it into PE8, and have it on my timeline.  I went through the timeline, and with the scissors, divided up the scenes.

Now I would like to save those scenes as individual clips so that I can rearrange them, and possibly re-use them in other videos.  How do I go about taking the individual clips that I made and saving them to my harddrive for future use?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

• 1. Re: Saving Clips
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Look for sharing in the help file

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Saving Clips
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Mike,

The answer is right at the top of the Timeline. It's the WAB (Work Area Bar). You can set it to the exact spots that you want, and Export just that portion. You can Rename these, as wished and Save them wherever you wish. You can choose for them to be in that Project, for later use, or not.

Here's a look at the WAB:

WAB_Duration_01.jpg

WAB_Info_01.jpg

Hope that this helps and good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Saving Clips
              jadoti Level 1

Yeah, I checked there, but that wants to export the whole video... not the specific clip... Or am I missing something else?

• 4. Re: Saving Clips
                the_wine_snob Level 9

You posted, just as I posted. Take a look at the WAB method.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Saving Clips
                  jadoti Level 1

The wine snob,

Okay, I see that.  And I adjusted those markers to surround the first clip, but when I go to share, it still wants to export the whole video, not the clip... Where do I go to export just that clip?

• 6. Re: Saving Clips
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

For this, I use Share>PC>DV-AVI, and check Share Work Area Bar Only.

Here's a look:

Share_WAB_01.jpg

If you wish to use the material in other SD Projects, you will want to Export to DV-AVI Type II w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV Audio.

Good luck,

Hunt.

• 7. Re: Saving Clips
                      jadoti Level 1

Thank you!  Exactly what I was looking for!

• 8. Re: Saving Clips
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Great news, and glad that it was what you were looking for.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Saving Clips
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

One tiny suggestion....this may be picky, but....

The keys to the matter that you gave were right on, namely, adjusting the WorkArea Bar tabs to span the Timeline video section to be selectively exported and checking the "Share WorkArea Bar Area Only" in the DV AVI area in Share/Personal Computer/AVI.

However, the screenshot that you posted was from Premiere Elements 7, not Premiere Elements 8. The versions differ in their Share/Personal Computer arrangement. There is no longer a DV AVI category, but rather an AVI cateogry with one of the options being DV AVI.

I was concerned about a newcomer finding your great advice, but getting confused if he/she looked at the screenshot too closely.

ATR

• 10. Re: Saving Clips
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

However, the screenshot that you posted was from Premiere Elements 7, not Premiere Elements 8.

Close, but no cigar. The screen-cap was from PrE 4. Has the WAB changed in PrE 8? Does it not act the same way? Have the "tabs" been dispensed with? Does the Share/Export with the WAB checkbox no longer work in PrE 8?

I don't want to steer PrE 8 users wrong, but I also do not have that program to do screen-caps. Please tell me where I went wrong, and where things have changed, so I can correct the image.

Thanks,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Saving Clips
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

I do have to call it a morning. It is so late here. But, I could not shutdown the computer without us being on the same page.

Did you read what I wrote? You were perfect with the key details and most important the user learned how to obtain the desired result.

My only suggestion might be that you mention that you were demo'ing in Premiere Elements 4 (I took a guess at 7, sorry should not guess) including that principles were the same with some changes in feature location. All my details (no DV AVI category, now AVI category with DV AVI option) for the post were gentlely prepared and presented, I thought. Where did I go wrong?

I have often come across a how to with graphics and labored trying to figure out "Why doesn't my dialog or feature look like that?"

Until the light of day,

ATR

• 12. Re: Saving Clips
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

We're on the same page. Before I saw this response, I began adding the version # on my screen-caps, and will do the same with the ones that I use for PrPro, and Encore (version 2.0 and Adobe is up to CS4), so that posters will not be confused.

I just wanted to make sure that PrE 8 had not made sweeping and major changes to the WAB, and how it is both implemented and then used.

There have been more significant changes in locations and even nomenclature, between PrE 4 and PrE 8, than there has been in either PrPro, or Encore. Still, there are differences, that I try to reflect. One big change in PrPro is that now one can choose multiple Presets per Sequence, where before CS4, they were locked into a Preset for the Project, just like PrE. I now type "Project/Sequence," if the poster has indicated CS4. Always something new to learn.

Hope you finally got some sleep - it WAS a busy night for you.

Hunt