7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2010 11:08 PM by Lon Winters

Editing iPhone Video

Lon Winters Level 4

Two short questions:

1. What is the best thing to do when you end up with a bunch of clips at different frame rates?

2. When importing video shot on the iPhone into PPCS4, why does Premiere place the video on track one, and force the audio to track 2?

iPhone video is 640X480, 4:3 and produces .MOV files with the h.264 codec.  The frame rate it produces depends on the lighting - lower light, lower frame rate.  There is no manual override for any of these settings.  So, I shot several clips and they range from 15 to 30 FPS.

On question 2, this is not exlusive to iPhone produces quicktime files, I've seen it before when importing from other sources.  The iPhone produces a mono audio track, I wonder if that's the problem.

• 1. Re: Editing iPhone Video
          the_wine_snob Level 9
          1. What is the best thing to do when you end up with a bunch of clips at different frame rates?

Personally, I would convert to the same FPS for all. One could set up a different Sequence in CS4, for each FPS rate.

2. When importing video shot on the iPhone into PPCS4, why does Premiere place the video on track one, and force the audio to track 2?

My first guess would be that the # of channels does not match to Audio Track 1. Look in the Audio Track Header for the little "speaker" icons. If you have, for instance, a stereo Track and attempt to drag a mono Clip to it, PrPro will create what you want - in this case a mono Track. This is not exclusive to your stated source footage.

If you want a mono Track as AT 1, then you need to set that up in your Sequence. If you set a mono Track as AT1, but have stereo Clips, they will also go to either an existing stereo Track, or one will be created. Look at those little "spekers."

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Editing iPhone Video
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Here's a look at the PrPro Audio Tracks and their icons:

Audio_Tracks_PrPro.jpg

Hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Editing iPhone Video
              Lon Winters Level 4

Thanks for the input.  I like wine as well, you just can't beat a 7 dollar bottle of Yellowtail Merlot!

So while you cringe, I'll continue... the audio problem was indeed, it need a mono source track.  I couldn't find a way to change the track, so I just added and deleted.

I've done a fair amount of editing with Premiere, mostly for the web, but I did sort of skip over the chapters on frame rates which is rather basic.  Not so much in concept, what what is going on within Premier at various stages of the workflow.  The project itself has a defined framerate, so doesn't this basically convert it (even before export)?

And, what happens to the clip when you up-convert?  It seems that it's just adding frames, for example going from 15 to 30 its' just going to make two of each. That makes for some choppy video.  And finally, how does one make the conversion before hitting the timeline with the clip, and what is the benefit?

Thanks again..

• 4. Re: Editing iPhone Video
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                the audio problem was indeed, it need a mono source track.  I couldn't find a way to change the track, so I just added and deleted.

This is correct. The user cannot directly change the designation of the Audio Track. Deleting "Empty Tracks" will take care of it for you.

My default setup for a Sequence is 2 mono, 3 stereo and a 5.1 Master. Should I not need those mono Tracks (SFX for me), I just delete them from the Sequence.

In PrPro, one cannot drag Tracks, Video, or Audio, one must either plan ahead, or use the Delete/Add Tracks, to get things neat on the Timeline. Some NLE's do allow one to drag Tracks, but PrPro does not.

The project itself has a defined framerate, so doesn't this basically convert it (even before export)?

Not directly, but Interpret Footage will do this for you. In CS4, one can do separate Sequences, with different specs/Presets. Earlier, on was stuck with one setting per Project, and ONLY Intrepret Footage would help. For me, I will always convert, outside of PrPro and then Import, but that is my personal workflow.

And, what happens to the clip when you up-convert?  It seems that it's just adding frames, for example going from 15 to 30 its' just going to make two of each. That makes for some choppy video.  And finally, how does one make the conversion before hitting the timeline with the clip, and what is the benefit?

This will depend on how much conversion is needed. I use DigitalMedia Converter, and it's quite good. In the end, the editor is the final judge. I'd suggest trying it both ways, and testing what is best.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Editing iPhone Video
                  Lon Winters Level 4

One thing I"m going to have to do in general, is make better use of sequences.  I think I will first try to do what I need in Premiere using interpret footage - these videos aren't going to be feature films or anything like that so it should be ok.

And then coming full circle - I realize all this is the equivalent to "fixing it in the mix" in the audio world. Even with the iPhone, I do and will attempt to get shots with good lighting so all my usable clips will turn out at 30 fps, which takes away this particluar headache and gives better overall quality.

Thank you for your help! It is much appreciated.

• 6. Re: Editing iPhone Video
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    e thing I"m going to have to do in general, is make better use of sequences.

As of CS4, Sequences gained more power. One can now use them to mix-n-match different footage. I'm still on PrPro 2.0, so I do not have that power. I prepare my odd footage outside of PrPro, before Import. I then use Sequences like Chapters, or scenes.

Good luck, and hope that the iPhone footage is usable for you,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Editing iPhone Video
                      Lon Winters Level 4

I was just going over some of my old posts here, and came upon this thread. 

I actually never did create anything from start to finish with the iPhone 3Gs, but not with the iPhone 4 maybe I will.

So while it's a better tool for creating quick share-with-your-friends or YouTube video, there are still limitations that persist and will until the laws of physics can be changed.

Shooting in low light (meaning: "indoors") of course is always a challenge, but I don't know if the LED light helps or hurts.  It helps if you don't plan on moving the camera, abut as soon as you point it at something else, the phone has to decide again if it needs the light or not, or calculate what's going on and it takes more than a few seconds to do that.

So, just thought I'd make a note of it.