5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2009 10:27 AM by Todd_Kopriva

Weather Forecast Creation [Plz HELP!]

Chazfest

Hi,

I'm fairly new to After Effects and am looking desperately for help on what would be my first project.

I want to create a mock, tongue in cheek weather forecast, with a map with animated clouds/suns etc, and chroma key a presenter in front of it.

(It's for a music video for a song about the weather)

weather.jpg

I'm already quite competent in Photoshop, Illustrator and the Final Cut Studio, so I'm hoping many skills will be transferable.

Is After Effects the right place for me to build a project like this? I was considering doing it within the Final Cut Studio using Motion 4, but from what I've heard of AE, it seems this might be more suited.

It'd be fantastic to see a video tutorial, but any tips, tricks and advice would also be greatly appreciated. Right now I feel like I'm learning to swim in a pretty deep and dark cove.

Thanks in advance for any help...

• 1. Re: Weather Forecast Creation [Plz HELP!]
          bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3

I do not believe it is wise to attempt a real world job as your first project in After Effects. Whatever your production schedule is, double it.

AE is where you will do the animation of the weather map and the numerous graphical elements you create in your other applications.

You will then use AE to composite the chromakey.

AE will not do this for you. AE will not do anything automatically. AE is remarkably deep and rich and, depending on your proclivity for such things, supremely difficult to master and finesse.

You can perform most of the same tasks in Motion and you might find Apple's paradigm easier to grasp. I do not. I have been using AE since CoSA and Motion since v01. I despise Motion with a deep and totally unreasonable passion.

Is After Effectsthe right place for me to build a project like this? I was considering doing it within the Final Cut Studio using Motion 4, but from what I've heard of AE, it seems this might be more suited.

bogiesan

• 2. Re: Weather Forecast Creation [Plz HELP!]
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

If you're new to After Effects, I recommend that you start by working your way through the items under the "Getting started" heading on this page. We see a lot of people on this forum who dive into the deep end without learning the basics first and then waste a lot of their own time thrashing about.

Regarding your specific project: You'll need to do some color keying, and you'll need to create and animate the cloud and sun shapes. For the shapes, I'd use shape layers, which are layers that contain vector graphics elements that you create and animate in After Effects.

See "Keying introduction and resources". Note that most of the pain in color keying work comes from bad planning and bad shooting; the post-production work can actually be relatively easy if you acquire the footage right.

See "About shapes and shape layers".

• 3. Re: Weather Forecast Creation [Plz HELP!]
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Heh. It looks like bogieasn and I were mind-melded and typing roughly the same advice at the same time: Start simple.

• 4. Re: Weather Forecast Creation [Plz HELP!]
                Chazfest Level 1

Thanks so much for your fast reply.

I'm fine with Chroma keying have always done this round tripping from FCP and Motion. In regards the the depths of After Effects, I'm quite excited as I'm sure there is an endless amount to learn.

Just to clarify, the project is just for fun, it's not paid, and is for a music video for my own band. So, as much as anything, it will be a great learning experience I think

Although I'm familiar with the Motion interface, I've mainly used it for particle effects and ambient backgrounds etc so far, as such, I'm not overly familiar with compositing. So the move to After Effects is going to be quite the learning curve I think, that's ok though.

Any video tutorials about on this topic?

• 5. Re: Weather Forecast Creation [Plz HELP!]
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8
                  > Any video tutorials about on this topic?

Follow the links that I provided.