2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2009 7:45 AM by RoboColum(n)

Can you set permissions to a help system?

adagilis

Hi -- i am creating a helpsystem and was wondering if with RoboHelp 8, i can limit who sees which book/Topic?

We need this because certain customers who will view this help system will not be able to see the certain parts of the application. They have certain rights for each application.

My fear is that i will have to create separate helpsystem projects for each of the different pieces...

If anyone has ANY ideas  -- thank would be great! Thank you!

Allison

• 1. Re: Can you set permissions to a help system?
          RoboColum(n) Level 5

Hi Allison. This can't be handled from within RoboHelp but you have the following options.

Firstly, the application installation could check the user's licence and only install the relevant help files. If you are outputting CHM files, this is fairly straitforward as you just have a CHM for each licenced area and the application installs the relevant ones.

Secondly, use WebHelp output to a website or internal server. You could then apply security to the output files as required.

Lastly you could output WebHelp Pro output to a server using the Robohelp Server 8 application. This has the concept of protected areas that only users with the correct logonb and password can access.

Read the RoboColum(n) for a tips,  tricks and musings on the Technical Communication Suite products.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Can you set permissions to a help system?
            RoboColum(n) Level 5

Forgot to add that there is more about the protected areas option on my blog.

Read the RoboColum(n) for a tips,  tricks and musings on the Technical Communication Suite products.