7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2009 7:45 AM by jdmack01

Question about Reverb audio effect

jdmack01 Level 1

I have a video clip, and I want to cut off the audio at a particular point and add a reverb trail to the sound.  If I clip the sound that I want to reverberate and add the reverb effect to that clip, the reverb cuts off as soon as the sound ends.  I want the reverb to continue past that point.  Is it possible to do this in CS4?

My alternative solution is to export the audio as a .wav file and create the effect in Audition.  However, whenever I try to export a small bit of audio, Media Encoder locks up.  I haven't yet figured out what the magic minimal amount of time necessary to keep this from happening, but that issue should probably have it's own discussion.

J. D.

• 1. Re: Question about Reverb audio effect
          the_wine_snob Level 9
          I have a video clip, and I want to cut off the audio at a particular point and add a reverb trail to the sound.

I would definitely do this in Audition. You can use Envelopes to remove the Audio in the Clip, where you want to go to the Reverb, and then with an Envelope, apply the Reverb Effect, so that it trials off to silence. You will also have many more choices and settings there, than in PrPro.

My alternative solution is to export the audio as a .wav file and create the effect in Audition.  However, whenever I try to export a small bit of audio, Media Encoder locks up.

This is a problem. You might get some tips from this ARTICLE on setting your computer up for an NLE session.

An alternative approach would be to Rt-click on your Audio Clip in the Timeline, and choose Render/Replace. This will convert your Audio to PCM/WAV, and also add it to your Project Panel. That PCM/WAV can then be Opened in Audition to edit. When done, do a Save_As, and then Import and manually replace the Audio Clip with your new one. You might also be able to just do a Save and update the WAV on your Timeline. I am just a bit hesitant to suggest this, as sometimes PrPro gets confused, when Assets are swapped out, unless you can do the process in the next paragraph. The choice is yours.

If you had PrPro 2.0 Production Studio, you can Rt-click and choose Edit in Audition. This is basically a one-click Render/Replace, plus it launches Audition and loads the WAV into it for editing. In CS4, you have Soundbooth. I do not know it, and use Audition. Not sure if, when one changes the file type association to Audition, if one can get Edit in Audition, in lieu of Soundbooth. I recall some threads on doing this, but do not recall the resolution, if there was any.

Good luck, and hopefully, you can get the PrPro crashes on Export taken care of.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Question about Reverb audio effect
            Harm Millaard Level 7

In CS4 you can choose "Edit in Audition".

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Question about Reverb audio effect
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Harm,

Thanks for that info. Glad to hear it.

Hunt

• 4. Re: Question about Reverb audio effect
                Harm Millaard Level 7

It leads me to believe that feature requests, that are often submitted, may be honored in the next version. I asked repeatedly for the Edit in Audition functionality in CS3, but it was only returned in CS4. Maybe the same will happen with Ultra.

• 5. Re: Question about Reverb audio effect
                  jdmack01 Level 1

Boy, you guys are fast responders!

I am still using Audition 1.5, so "edit in Audition" is grayed out as a choice for me.  However, Audition 1.5 has an "extract audio from video" function, so that's what I ended up doing in this case.  I clipped out the small bit of audio I needed to process, saved it as a new .wav file and imported it into my Premiere project.

I didn't see "render/replace" as an option when I right-clicked on the clip.

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I think I'll submit what I was trying to do as a feature request (extend audio effects past the end of the audio).

J. D.

• 6. Re: Question about Reverb audio effect
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    It leads me to believe that feature requests, that are often submitted, may be honored in the next version.

I agree. Though I did not have CS3, I filed that feature request too, as I was planning on going to it, and wanted to use my Audition, instead of Soundbooth. Now, I have to admit that I only used the beta of SB, but did not like it, especialy compared to Audition.

Keep the faith and file those feature requests. Maybe some day, Tilter's Based On feature will use the name of the loaded Title and increment, or similar...

Hunt

• 7. Re: Question about Reverb audio effect
                      jdmack01 Level 1

I submitted this issue as a feature request, and I received a work-around from Adobe (thanks, Adobe!)

Clip the bit of audio to which you want to add an effect

Place it on it's own track.

Apply the effect to the track.

Reverbs and delays will continue past the clip.

Since this is not something I do all the time, this works for me.

J. D.