7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2010 4:40 PM by the_wine_snob

PE8 crashes regularly - getting VERY ANNOYING

WHoit Level 1

I believe I too fell for the Adobe reputation and am now regretting it. I should have upgraded my copy of Cyberlink Director instead.

PE8 crashes while I'm using it almost every 5-10minutes.

I know my machine can handle it:

Win XP Pro SP3

AMD Phenom II X4 940, 3ghz

4 gb RAM

465 gb HD

This machine has virtually nothing installed except a few games and PR8.

It's driving me nuts.

I've looked at the "help" - it's a list of over 20 items, most of which are useless if you keep your machine maintained.

And besides, if you follow the lists, you'll have to do almost everything on them every time you want to use PE8.

I have only 31 total processes running prior to starting PE8 - in Windows that's practically nothing.

I have Norton AntiVirus running and that's about it.

PE8 crashes typically when I'm working with a transition and sliding its position on the timeline.

No warnings, no error messages - nothing except PE8 simply disappears.

I've already turned off 'background rendering' and 'automatically check for services' in Web Sharing.

I do not login into my Adobe account.

I just installed PE8 from the box two days ago, and downloaded Quicktime then too.

I play some games on this machine so I KNOW all my drivers and DirectX are current.

This is quite aggravating to have Adobe basically say that the problem is with our machines, or our installation, or our drivers.

Can't it be their product that is flawed?

Of course it can!

MAN UP AND FIX THIS.

• 1. Re: PE8 crashes regularly - getting VERY ANNOYING
          the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE might help you in troubleshooting the program crashes.

Now, is your graphics card an nVidia, by chance? If so, do you have either the PhysX, or 3D Stereovision modules installed (nVidia Console will tell you)?

One, or both of these has caused all sorts of problems.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: PE8 crashes regularly - getting VERY ANNOYING
            the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE might give you some tips on finding "clues," as to what is happening, when the program crashes.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: PE8 crashes regularly - getting VERY ANNOYING
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Now that you are armed with some things that might help find where the problem is stemming from, please tell us about your Project - the Preset chosen, and then in full detail what your Assets are. The more detail, the better. If you need to get full data on the AV files, G-Spot can help you.

MAN UP AND FIX THIS.

Unfortunately, your talking to users only, just as you. None of us is employed by Adobe, and there is really no Adobe presence here. All that we can offer is to remotely help you troubleshoot the issues. That is the reason for the above questions - to help us try and spot something that could be causing, or helping to cause the issues.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: PE8 crashes regularly - getting VERY ANNOYING
                WHoit Level 1

Hi -

No, I have an ATI Radeon 4870 (with current drivers).

Also, I've read the articles which focus mainly on System crashes.

My issue is that PE8 crashes - it just disappears, sending me back to my desktop.

I have eliminated some of the crashing though by turning off the 'allow GPU transitions' (or whatever it's called)

in Preferences. I can now work for over 1/2 an hour before it crashes.

Even though this is all community, I was hoping that Adobe would peruse the boards looking for issues with crashing.

I'll try their tech support too.

Thanks for the tips though.

• 5. Re: PE8 crashes regularly - getting VERY ANNOYING
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  Also, I've read the articles which focus mainly on System crashes. My issue is that PE8 crashes - it just disappears, sending me back to my desktop.

When a program crashes, or closes prematurely, there is usually some indication of what was happening at the time of that crash in Event Viewer. These will usually be warning, or error messages, and some might have links that will prove useful.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: PE8 crashes regularly - getting VERY ANNOYING
                    -Subbi Adobe Employee

Also try redcucing the "Hardware Acceleration" of your display. This can be done by "Right clicking" on the desktop and choosing "Properties". In the Properties window, choose "Settings", under settings you would find "Advanced" settings on the right hand side bottom, click on this and choose "Troubleshoot" from the next window.

In this move the slider to extreme left and then check if the Crashes reduce.

EM

• 7. Re: PE8 crashes regularly - getting VERY ANNOYING
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Regarding Hardware Acceleration, many find that if it is OFF, turning it ON can have an effect. Same if it's ON, turning it OFF can help. If the crashes cease, then stepping up, or down, can often get one a setting that will stop the crashes. Just increment up, or down, until they return and move up, or down, by one increment.

Good luck,

Hunt