5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2009 11:51 PM by Matt Petersen

Lighting

lilsull13

I know this might not be the right forum, but what would you recommend for a lighting kit for small projects for a internet based marketing company. we are making instructional videos and do a little green screening but we're not looking to buy pro omi kits...would a 3 point lighting kit with stands, umbrellas, barndoors included be sufficient?

• 1. Re: Lighting
          Harm Millaard Level 7

You can get along with 3 but 4 would be better. For green/blue screen you have to make sure the screen is properly lit and you have no shadows. Ideally you need 4 lights, one for the screen, one for backlight and two for the subject, but you can make out with 3. Start reading here: http://www.cybercollege.com/tvp027.htm

• 2. Re: Lighting
            the_wine_snob Level 9

I'd also throw in some Roscolux, or similar diffusion materials - remember, the farther from the light source, the softer the light, but also the larger the diffusion material needs to be. For large diffusion panels, I like Herculean, a drafting medium, that is available in large rolls at a drafting/engineering supply store. A product Diffuse is also available in rolls, and was sold by a group called A-B Products. Do not know if they are still around.

I also find that a boom really helps with backgrounds, whether green/blue screen, or other.

I'm a big fan of the Lowels and have a full Omni/Tota kit, plus a half-dozen Lowel-Pros 1KW's. I know that you mentioned NOT going with an Omni kit, but these have been around the globe and back, and over 20 years have served me wonderfully. One of my Lowel stands was trampled by a raging bull, and still works, though one section does stick a bit, and one leg is a bit warpped. For me, it was a great investment. Just a thought.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Lighting
              randy124

Writer has written nice article,but it is not neccesary to ask recommendetion from any body for anything because everybody has it's own thinking.You may be right at your place.

===================

Randy

Home lighting

• 4. Re: Lighting
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Randy,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not sure what you are saying in your post though. Can you please elaborate?

Thanks,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Lighting
                  Matt Petersen Level 3

The others give great advice on lights, i'll take a different tack just to give you some food for thought. We have a limited number of lights in our small greenscreen studio (simply due to lack of space) and we've found the following helpful to us:

- Try to get your hands on the "felt texture" green or blue screen material. you'll spend a little less time chasing hotspots (it doesn't refelect as much) and fringeing (for the same reason)

- Only worry about lighting the background that will actually be in the shot. if you're shooting talking heads or mids, then the only green that you need to worry about is the part you can't garbage matte "out" later

- we light our background with the flouro-style light heads. think we paid about $400AUD a head. they don't hot-spot quite so much (bigger source area), and they're very very cool (great for the small space we work in). most of our IV or talking head is done 3-light: two on the background, one on the subject, with a bit of fill from a pop-out reflector

As I said, this works for us, but it might not work for you, depending on space and budget.

cheers

MP