5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2006 2:01 PM by Deaf Web Designer

ot - database ignoramous question

JohnGavin
      This is probably a dumb question but... If you put your database name and password into a PHP page, can anybody see that? The PHP doesn't show up in View Code, but is there some other way to download the page including all the PHP code?
        • 1. Re: ot - database ignoramous question
          Level 7
          nope. it's called server side b/c it never goes beyond the server.

"JohnGavin" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:egm0fu$6f9$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > This is probably a dumb question but... If you put your database name
          > and
          > password into a PHP page, can anybody see that? The PHP doesn't show up
          > in
          > View Code, but is there some other way to download the page including all
          > the
          > PHP code?
          >

• 2. Re: ot - database ignoramous question
            Level 7
            JohnGavin wrote:
            > This is probably a dumb question but... If you put your database
            > name and password into a PHP page, can anybody see that? The PHP
            > doesn't show up in View Code, but is there some other way to download
            > the page including all the PHP code?

Obviously (I hope!) if the server is hacked or compromised, someone can get
            that information - but at that point, they can probably stroll through all
            the PHP databases anyway.

But in most cases you are correct - that information stays serverside.

HTH,

Pete.
            --
            Peter Connolly
            http://www.acutecomputing.co.uk
            UK

• 3. Re: ot - database ignoramous question
              Level 1
              Perhaps that you might want to consider to purchase this excellent, excellent book called "PHP for Dreamweaver" whose authored by David Powers. I recommend you to buy this book, no question about it. *hands down*

As you eventually will realize that, once you purchase this book, this book covers every topic about PHP and have great sample and tutor, as well as pretty much self-explanatory step to make it work for you to work with PHP around Dreamweaver. It also discuss briefly about issues related to PHP security around web servers, etc.

Hope that helps!
              • 4. Re: ot - database ignoramous question
                JohnGavin Level 1
                Thanks all. DWD - I have that book - but it's been sitting on my desk collecting dust until I get a little time...
                • 5. Re: ot - database ignoramous question
                  Level 1
                  <shakes my head>
                  Big smile with a chuckle
                  </shakes my head>

Perhaps better to have a good habit to take a look at that book, because this saves you lot of trouble and time, no pun as intended. ;)